TNM crashes at Load Save screen

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
LTNObvious
Thug

TNM crashes at Load Save screen

Post by LTNObvious »

When I click on the Load Save button, my game blackscreens and displays this error message:
Crash report.
Crash report.
What does this mean, and how can I fix it? Should I just uninstall and reinstall?
~Rob "LTNObvious" L.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: TNM crashes at Load Save screen

Post by Jonas »

Hm that looks like your savegames are corrupted. Try this:

Go into the folder \DeusEx\TNM\Save\Save0002\ and find the file called SaveInfo.dxs. Move this somewhere else, somewhere temporary like your desktop or something. Then see if the error has been fixed. This may cause that particular save (Save0002, whatever it is) to become useless, but it may still work. Otherwise, I hope you've saved in other slots.

Let us know if that works, otherwise we'll try to think of something else. Don't reinstall everything just yet :-)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
LTNObvious
Thug

Post by LTNObvious »

There isn't anything in my Save folder. I noticed that this happened with my vanilla Deus Ex game as well. There's no folder in my entire system called Save0002.
~Rob "LTNObvious" L.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yikes, not even in 'My Documents'?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
LTNObvious
Thug

Post by LTNObvious »

Not even there. I got so far in that one WorldCorp save.
:cry:
~Rob "LTNObvious" L.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Erk! If you have Windows 7 you could try typing save0002 in the search thing. If you haven't already that is.
LTNObvious
Thug

Post by LTNObvious »

I've got W7 64-bit and nothing shows up.
~Rob "LTNObvious" L.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

LTNObvious wrote:I've got W7 64-bit and nothing shows up.
Hm, I've got a TNM save but I had to open up the TNM folder and it's in the save file there. Maybe the computer purged it somehow.
LTNObvious
Thug

Post by LTNObvious »

I'll just reinstall and replay. Only four hours into the game on that save, I could do that in a day.

EDIT: Since TNM isn't uninstalling, I'll just delete my Save folder and see what happens.
~Rob "LTNObvious" L.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

LTNObvious wrote:I'll just reinstall and replay. Only four hours into the game on that save, I could do that in a day.

EDIT: Since TNM isn't uninstalling, I'll just delete my Save folder and see what happens.
That might work. Unfortunately DX has some issues with saves from time to time. I guess that comes with an engine that's 12 years old. :(
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I have never heard of the game simply deleting savegames. They do occasionally corrupt seemingly at random (which is why we urge you to save in different slots), but then the files will still be there, they'll just fuck up the game in various ways. Are you sure you're looking in the right folder? You should have several save folders, since TNM has its own. It may not be indexed by Windows' search. If you really did lose your saves, I almost can't imagine the game itself to be to blame, it almost has to be another program interfering or some other mishap.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
LTNObvious
Thug

Post by LTNObvious »

After reinstall and replay, saves showed up again. The game works fine now. Thanks Jonas and bobby!

EDIT 1: New bug :evil:! When I try to save or load, the game just freezes. This may have something to do with me taking the SaveInfo.dxs file out of one of my saves. More research needed.
~Rob "LTNObvious" L.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Sorry if this is way off but I just have to make sure: you did update to 1.0.4 (ideally 1.0.4+) again after reinstalling, right? Earlier versions of the game had that crash-on-load bug, see.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
LTNObvious
Thug

Post by LTNObvious »

Yeah, I had the .exe installer for 1.0.4. I'll download 1.0.4+ now and see if it got fixed.
~Rob "LTNObvious" L.
Robd
Thug

Post by Robd »

I have the same error. At first it was like he said... game would just crash when I loaded a game. I went in and set compatability for Windows XP Service Pack 3. That worked for a day and then it just started freezing on load screen... after a few minutes it would close it self.

During both instances I was promoted with this error message which I typed up

Code: Select all

Critical Error

General protection fault!

History: CheckTag <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <-
UObject::StaticFindObject <- UObject::StaticAllocateObject <- (Flame
Flame815) <- UObject::StaticConstructObjet <- ULevel::SpawnActor <-
(Flame) <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (TNMFire DX.TNMFire(), Function
TNM.TNMFire.Timer) <- AActor::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick
<- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <-
XgameEngineExt::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
I have saved in 50 different slots actually, but as I cannot even access the save or load menus I'm pretty much screwed. This has been a repeated problem for me and I seek help as soon as possible.

I am on Windows 7 Home x86 (64 bit). I currently run my game from the shortcut, with default settings (except controls which I have modified.) I am on an administrators account. I have also tried to close all other applications (including TSRs) With the same results. I would try running in safe mode after the crashs, but that isn't really in the cards as the safe mode promp immediatly redirects to the original Deus Ex game. I have also tried loading from other areas (starting a new game) which has the same result with a different error. I have Intel HD graphics, a 3GB RAM, and around 200 gigabytes of free storage space. I'm running on a laptop, plugged in, with maximum power settings. If it's any help I've also been having errors with the screen not showing up all the way before I switched to compatability mode. I downloaded the .exe from the ModDB mirror which I was told has the latest 1.0.4 patch.

**EDIT** I managed to get the save/load screens to work by removing all my saves from the folder (the folders called Save_001, Save_002, etc.)
I'm too cool for a signature, that's my signature 8)