General Protection Fault

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

General Protection Fault

Post by DaveW »

So I've managed to avoid any bugs so far, and now I've been hit with a fairly big one.

I reached the space station and I've killed most of the enemies, but now whenever I try to change map or quickload (to the same map), it crashes. This started while I was playing in the level, because I quick saved/loaded while playing - so something has triggered it to start crashing.

Trying to load a completely unrelated map through the 'legend' menu, or starting the training from the menu, causes the same fault.

I'm running the 1.0.4+ patch with Direct3D 10 (tried with OpenGL and it seemed to do the same thing). I'm also running Shifter, if that could be causing anything.

I would just load an earlier save game and try again, but my last save game that wasn't a quicksave on this level was in the PDX HQ. So..quite some time ago.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: General Protection Fault

Post by Jonas »

Oh shit, uh... well obviously you're experiencing some savegame issues. It sounds like the problem may be in the map you saved in, unfortunately, since you say you can't travel to any other maps. The only thing I can think of that might work is to delete (or rename, you know) the saveinfo file in your latest savegame. I doubt it'll work though, in which case I don't think you have any options but to restart from your last savegame (in PDX HQ :? ).

I'll ask Nick or Shane if they remember any fix for that error next time I see them.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Yeah I read that in another thread where someone was having a similar issue (though I think it got put down to changing versions while playing, or something). Removing it just makes it not load :P

It's just weird that I can load the game initially and it works fine. If I start the game, quickload, it loads the map - but if I immediately quickload, it crashes.

Guess I'll just wait for a while and go for another playthrough, I missed lots of side-missions this time anyway :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well it happens on clean-up, so it's some sort of UI issue I guess where it spawns some window class in the level that doesn't get destroyed properly, and that crashes the game when you try to leave the map. I don't know if there's a fix for that. I hate to add insult to injury but this is why you must save regularly in different slots. TNM has a very unfortunate tendency to eat your savegames.

I've been doing a PDX/Goat playthrough myself, on and off. Sadly I still remember where almost everything is, so it's not much of a challenge. I don't bother looking around properly, I just head directly for the most important stuff, and every time I get spotted sneaking, I just kill the enemies and go to the nearest medbot to get healed up. I'm even skipping most of the dialogue, and the stuff I don't skip just annoys me by how badly in need of editing most of it is. It's weird but I enjoyed it more around release :so:

On a more positive note, I think Downtown looks really beautiful with the last version of New Vision. Really looking forward to seeing how it all ends up looking when HDTP is released.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I had been saving fairly regularly up to that point, mostly before attempting stupid things (like a random, unprovoked massacre at the Llama temple). I guess I stopped doing it when I got to Aunt Betty (I keep going to say it as Aunt Bessie's). Just my luck.

I can imaging playing your own mod would lead you to skip most of the dialogue. All the stuff I've heard before in Deus Ex/TNM I generally skip once I've read the text on screen (I played WorldCorp first time round though, so there's a lot of new stuff). I stick around for the funny lines, though. I guess that's better than something like Mass Effect where I had to skip every single bit of dialogue because I can't put up with waiting 4 minutes for a single conversation to finish.

The stranger thing is with the playthrough I just did of Deus Ex and then TNM, I didn't play with New Vision. I like the look of my texture work, but, I still kind of prefer to play the way the game was intended. I like the nostalgia too much.