Can't get TNM to run. black screen

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Bobby
Mole Person

Can't get TNM to run. black screen

Post by Bobby »

Basically It just gives a black screen and I have to alt ctrl del. Normal Deusex works fine for me as does deusex + "Direct3D 10 renderer" and deusex + "Direct3D 10 renderer" + kentie loader

1) Install DeusEx GOTY edition
2) Run it and start first level (Direct3D support selected)
3) Quit
4) Install TNM
5) Double click TNM.exe (Direct3D support selected)

Just get a black screen and nothing happens. Have to alt ctrl del and kill TNM process and explorer.exe
both taking 25% cpu of my 4core

If I leave it on the black screen for 20 minutes then check the TNM log I see this at the end of it
Log: D3D Driver: Supports FOURCC !
Log: D3D Driver: Supports FOURCC DXT1
Log: D3D Driver: Supports FOURCC DXT2
Log: D3D Driver: Supports FOURCC DXT3
Log: D3D Driver: Supports FOURCC DXT4
Log: D3D Driver: Supports FOURCC DXT5
Log: D3D Driver: Supports

6) Install kentie loader hoping it will fix whatever is wrong with TNM.exe
7) Rename it TNM.Exe
8 ) Double click the kentie loader TNM.exe
9) It loads the normal deusex.
10) Install kenties Direct3D 10 renderer hoping it fixes problem
11) Open normal TNM.exe (Direct3D10 support selected)

Normal deusex loads... wtf? Even though "the nameless mod" box pops up before the game loads.

12) Check C:\DeusEx\TNM\System\TNM.ini and see that GameRenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice

13) Go through TNM.log and see

Log: C:\DeusEx\System\d3d10drv\firstpass.fx(11,10): warning X3582: texture access must have literal offset and multisample index, forcing loop to unroll
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Re: Can't get TNM to run. black screen

Post by PlausibleSarge »

The Kentie's DX loader dumps all your ini files in "My Documents/Deus Ex". Because the TNM ini was not there, it created a new one based on the default deus ex ini, which is why TNM does not load. You need to replace TNM.ini in your documents folder with the one in the TNM\System folder. Then, you need to change the Renderer manually, because neither kenties loader nor the deus ex in-game configuration will modify the correct ini (They both modify Deus Ex's INI file, rather than TNM's). You should be able to copy the relevant renderer information from your Deus Ex ini.

Heres the relevant parts from mine. Replace these lines in yours (and maybe edit them if you dont like some settings)

Code: Select all

[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=640
WindowedViewportY=480
WindowedColorBits=32
FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1080
FullscreenColorBits=32

[D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
Coronas=True
ShinySurfaces=True
HighDetailActors=True
VolumetricLighting=True
Precache=False
Antialiasing=4
Anisotropy=8
VSync=True
ParallaxOcclusionMapping=False
LODBias=0
BumpMapping=False
ClassicLighting=True
AlphaToCoverage=False
AutoFOV=True
FPSLimit=100
simulateMultipassTexturing=True
unlimitedViewDistance=False

hope this helps

EDIT: Here is a protip for free: D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice is the original Direct3D renderer that comes with Deus Ex. It runs on DirectX7(?) and is extremely annoying to get working on modern systems. Do not use it. Kenties DX10 renderer is called D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice
Bobby
Mole Person

Post by Bobby »

That seems to help, thank you. Putting the tnm.ini in documents/deuxex/system starts the tnm version of the game and gets me past the infinite black screen of nothing.

However I have a new problem. When I start the game I get no menus or anything. If I button mash enough the game starts. In game I have no interface and if I get the inventory up I see a few floating items on the screen. The log shows about 14 pages of stuff like this which I guess is the problem since some of them have "menu" in the name

Log: UIfix >> Function hooking complete, DetourTransactionCommit returned code 0
ScriptWarning: HUDAmmoDisplay DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDAmmoDisplay0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:002A) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDAmmoDisplay DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDAmmoDisplay0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:0044) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDAmmoDisplay DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDAmmoDisplay0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:005E) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDAmmoDisplay DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDAmmoDisplay0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:0078) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDHitDisplay DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDHitDisplay0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:002A) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDHitDisplay DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDHitDisplay0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:0044) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDHitDisplay DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDHitDisplay0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:005E) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDHitDisplay DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDHitDisplay0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:0078) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDObjectBelt DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDObjectBelt0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:002A) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDObjectBelt DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDObjectBelt0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:0044) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDObjectBelt DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDObjectBelt0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:005E) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDObjectBelt DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDObjectBelt0 (Function DeusEx.HUDBaseWindow.StyleChanged:0078) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: HUDObjectSlot DX.trestkon0.tnmRootWindow0.DeusExHUD0.HUDObjectBelt0.RadioBoxWindow0.TileWindow0.HUDObjectSlot0 (Function DeusEx.HUDObjectSlot.StyleChanged:002A) Accessed None
Bobby
Mole Person

Post by Bobby »

Ok this is fixed by running it from the shortcut instead of the exe
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

I had this very same problem today in fact. You dont need to be tied to using the shortcut. It is easy enough to fix (change 2 lines in a file). See this thread