TNM doesn't run "Can't find 'ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngine'"

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
stuckboy
Mole Person

TNM doesn't run "Can't find 'ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngine'"

Post by stuckboy »

Hi,

Prior to installing TNM I had deus ex + hdtp + kentie's deusexe + kentie's DX10 renderer. I intalled TNM, and it wouldn't run from the original exe. So I tried some of the advice I found on the forum, such as this thread: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... lit=kentie.

I replaced TNM.exe with kentie's exe and renamed it to TNM.exe, I edited the ini files, both in the my documents folder and the TNM/system folder as per PlausibleSarge's advice in the linked thread. When I try to run it it brings up kentie's launcher and I click play and it immediately gives me the error "Can't find 'ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngine' in configuration file". I checked the ini files and they all say GameEngine=DeusEx.DeusExGameEngine

I can still run the original deus ex with kenties exe fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get this to work?

Many thanks

Ben
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Re: TNM doesn't run "Can't find 'ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngin

Post by PlausibleSarge »

What are the Paths= (under the Core.System section) pointing to in your TNM ini file?
darkman9
Mole Person

Post by darkman9 »

SOLUTION

I had this same problem as well. I have DX + TNM installed on an external hard drive, that is not always on when the computer is on. For some reason, the disk drive letter changes from time to time. When I first installed TNM, the disk drive letter was "J:". Since yesterday, the disk drive letter was "M:". Normally, this isn't a problem, so it didn't occur to me until a couple of hours ago, that it in fact was a problem. When I decided to check the shortcut path, it started with an "M:" and when it got to the INI path, there was a "J:". I changed it to "M:" and checked the INI file, found a "J:" there too and changed it to "M:". However, every time I started the mod, the "M:" in the INI changed back to "J:". So I decided to manually change the hard drive letter from "M:" back to "J:", and all the other "M:"s, and it worked. :D

Step-by-step what I did:
1. To figure out how to change hard drive letter, I went to this site: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvi ... rvista.htm
2. Checked all the shortcut paths to make sure they were correct.
3. Started normal Deus Ex, loaded up the Training level and then exited the game.
4. Started The Nameless Mod without problems.

The only unfortunate thing that happened is that I lost all my easter eggs, probably because I was trying everything to fix the game before I came upon this solution.

I'm posting this solution for all those like me who enjoy this wonderful mod. I hope it helps someone out there. :smile:
Albert
Mole Person

Post by Albert »

I was having the same issue, getting this game to run. But the solution above is pointless as I only have one hard drive, and one partition at that.

Windows 7. So is there any way to extract the game into it's own separate folder and point it to Deus Ex dependencies? Is there any way? This is annoying, as the game has always ran for me on other computers I've had, and even on Windows 7.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Did you guys play DX even for a few seconds before launching any mods?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Albert
Mole Person

Post by Albert »

Why yes, yes I did! =;
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Ooooh! At the risk of encurring more wrath. Have you tried compatabilty mode or changing renderers? Admitidly changing renderers is unlikely to help.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Albert
Mole Person

Post by Albert »

Lol, forgot all about this post.

Yeah, I tried those, and nothing seemed to work, as I remember. I haven't tried it again since. Is there any alternative way of installing the game? Even making a second copy of my Deus Ex files and swapping them for the TNM files?