Screen tearing

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Screen tearing

Post by Skilgannon »

I dug about the help section, nothing jumped out at me on this subject, so I shall create my own topic on this.

Just installed TNM, patched all the way up to 1.0.4+, runs fine. Only thing is, I'm getting some quite noticeable screen tearing, like you would without VSync turned on in a Source game. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Technical stuff:

Renderer is the Enhanced OGL one.
I'm using DeusExe as my bog standard deusex.exe, though it's set to cap the FPS at 100, which gives no screen tearing in vanilla DX. (could be the issue? maybe rip that out and use the regular exe for the duration of TNM?)
GFX card is a Radeon X1950 Pro (AGP), with the 10.2 catalyst drivers. (highest that it supports)

I probably had this before, but didn't notice/care at the time, but it's bugging the hell out of me already and I haven't even left Phas' apartment!
Life is a series of random events designed to strip you of your sanity.

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Screen tearing

Post by Jonas »

Before you do anything else, try installing the Direct3D 9 or 10 renderer instead and see if that solves your issue. Whatever instructions the renderers come with, just apply it to TNM.ini instead of DeusEx.ini.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Went and fetched the D3D9 renderer, copied over the admittedly surprising lack of ini lines to TNM, directed the ini to use the new renderer, worked beautifully. No more screen tearing. Ta Jonas. :)

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cool, glad it worked :smile:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Ah. Now this is interesting, I now have a mouse problem since switching over to D3D9. The reason I don't just simply make a new topic about this, is I had a brainwave and switched back to EOGL. Lo and behold, no mouse issue. However, screen tearing. Since tearing > inability to aim, I will suffer that for the time being unless a solution to either makes itself apparent.

I've tried setting the framelimit and refreshrate lines in the TNM.ini under the OGL renderer section to 100 (same fps cap as DX) and 75 (refresh rate my monitor is usually set at) respectively, but I can still see tearing, particularly when turning. This doesn't seem to happen in the downtown area, but does in small maps like the apartment, which suggests to me that my monitor is just not keeping up with my gfx card very well, due to the card being able to throw the smaller maps around faster.

Should I bring the framelimit down to match or go below that of the refresh rate? Or is there something else I could try? This isn't just directed at Jonas btw, anyone can feel free to get stuck in. ;)

bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I was reading somewhere here that the mouse problem was fixed by changing "UseDirectInput=True" to False in the ini. That might have been for vanilla DX, although it might be worth a try if you want to use the D3D9 renderer in TNM.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

I kinda prefer OpenGL really, I think it looks nicer, though that may just be in my head. I'm gonna try and see if altering the framelimit down to the refresh rate will do something, never know...

bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah, I totally agree about OpenGL. Deus EX and TNM look glorious with that renderer and New Vision. I've got the Kenties version 2 exe and don't have any problems with either graphically. I've got an Nvidia card though.
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Yeah, Kenties is what I have installed, but even after adjusting the renderer framelimit in the ini, still getting shearing in Phas' apartment. I'm gonna continue on anyway, as I've gotten to the Corporate district now and I haven't really noticed that much shearing except in small maps, so maybe it won't be so bad. But if anyone has any possible solutions to try, then I'd be grateful, as editing the framelimit and refresh lines doesn't actually seem to do anything (like a lot of ini lines in DX it seems lol).

bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'm probably 'talking through my hat' here not owning a Radeon card, but isn't there an app you can download that acts like the Nvidia Control Panel? Perhaps forcing Vsync on via the card may help fix the tearing. Though I don't know why that'd work if your other methods haven't. Hopefully somebody can come up with a solution for you.
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

The only program I know of like that is the Catalyst Control Centre, which is logical, but to be honest, I don't do a lot of tweaking when it comes to hardware, so I'm not really up on what's available in terms of software like that. I might have a look in the CCC though (comes with the drivers you see), see if there's anything like that.