TNM doesn't work, original Deus Ex runs when TNM is started.

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Flatus rectum
Mole Person

TNM doesn't work, original Deus Ex runs when TNM is started.

Post by Flatus rectum »

I have Deus Ex Game of the Year edition, and it works properly. I downloaded the Shifter mod later, and it works perfectly. Later I downloaded the TNM, and installed it WITHOUT installing shortcuts. No problems occurred during installation. It should be mentioned that the desktop shortcut and the shortcut in the TNM folder WERE CREATED automatically. After I installed it, I replaced the Shifter DeusEx.u and DeusEx.int files with the original DeusEx.u and DeusEx.int files, and then started the TNM.exe from the D:\Games\Deus Ex\System\ and The Nameless Mod box appeared, and after a few seconds it asked which video driver to be used. I didn't change the default option, and then started the game. NO ERROR MESSAGE appeared, but the original Deus Ex started, NOT the TNM. Later, I ran TNM by the desktop shortcut, and then the same thing happened again, no error message, TNM splash screen appears but the Original Deus Ex runs instead of TNM. I tried to run TNM several times, either by the TNM.exe in the aforementioned folder or the TNM shortcut in D:\Games\Deus Ex\TNM\System\ or the desktop shortcut. The same thing happened. (In some attempts to run the TNM, I encountered a black screen with rotating white boxes and polygons, I had to run the Windows Task Manager and end the TNM which was not responding). I did not change any .ini files or anything.
I later uninstalled TNM and then installed it again, with the original DeusEx.int and DeusEx.u files intact without installing the shortcuts. The desktop shortcut and the shortcut in D:\Games\Deus Ex\TNM\System\ were created as before. I started the game from the desktop shortcut, and the same thing happened, no error message, the original Deus Ex runs instead of TNM. I tried to run TNM by the shortcut in the folder as well as the TNM.exe in D:\Games\Deus Ex\System\ with the same result.
I use a Pentium IV 2.04GHz processor with the ATI Radeon 7000 AGP (64 MB) video card, and my OS is Windows XP home edition 5.1. How can I play the TNM??
Reply to this post as soon as possible.
ggrotz
X-51

Re: TNM doesn't work, original Deus Ex runs when TNM is star

Post by ggrotz »

Something's probably broken with the shortcuts. To get TNM you need to run it with a few parms. It needs to look something like this, with the correct paths of course.

Code: Select all

C:\TNM\System\TNM.exe -hax0r INI="C:\TNM\TNM\System\TNM.ini" USERINI="C:\TNM\TNM\System\TNMUser.ini" log=TNM.log
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

The floating white box thing is indicative of a render problem. Try changing renderers and fire up TNM again.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Flatus rectum
Mole Person

Post by Flatus rectum »

@ggrotz, My pathways are correct.
There is something to be noted in the TNM.txt file in the folder D:\Games\Deus Ex\System\. It contains several statements beginning with the word "Critical". Let me show you.

Log: DXOgg: Initialized
Critical: URender::DrawFrame
Log: Anomalous singularity in URender::DrawWorld
ScriptLog: Creating root window: TNMGUI.tnmUWindowRootWindow
Log: Loading: Package UWindowFonts
Critical: URen

These "critical" statements are present in that file repeatedly, and they are more in quantity than that presented here.
Can anyone help?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I don't know that card you mentioned but it may not be capable of running TNM. You could try "Software Rendering" I guess.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional