TNM, Shifter, and HDTP

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Hedervarda
Mole Person

TNM, Shifter, and HDTP

Post by Hedervarda »

I'm posting this because i am honestly lost as to how to get all three to run together, maybe i've missed something obvious.
I can successfully get Deus Ex to run with shifter, hdtp, and new vision, but for some reason i can't get shifter and hdtp to run together in the nameless mod, i basically end up having to choose one or the other. i'll post a copy of the ini configuration that i have:

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=..\TNM\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
Paths=..\TNM\System\*.u
Paths=..\TNM\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\TNM\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\TNM\Sounds\*.uax
OggPath=..\TNM\Music\Ogg\
Paths=..\Shifter\System\*.u
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\New Vision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\New Vision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx

thats after a fresh install of TNM, havnt really tried playing around with it again, it seems like the trouble i have is that if the shifter file is placed above the HDTP system file then i can run the game with shifter but without HDTP, whereas if i place HDTP system above Shifter system then i can play the game with the nice HDTP textures but no longer gain skill points for kills or ko's. as i said before i am at a loss for what to do to correct this as it worked flawlessly with regular Deus Ex.

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: TNM, Shifter, and HDTP

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Shifter and HDTP both provide a DeusEx.u file. Shifter should be placed above the HDTP line so you use Shifters DeusEx.u. His DeusEx.u should then auto-load HDTP assets. Not sure why that's not working, it should.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Code: Select all

Paths=..\Shifter\System\*.u
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\System\*.u
Is right. Check to be sure you have the proper Shifter version that supports HDTP (1.9 or above).
Hedervarda
Mole Person

Post by Hedervarda »

hey all, thanks for the reply
I re-downloaded shifter 1.9 (just in case the file i had was causing the issue) and installed the newly downloaded shifter, but i'm having the same problem, for whatever reason when shifter is prioritized in the ini file it does not load hdtp textures, as before the only way for me to get those textures is to place hdtp system above shifter system, but then i can't play with shifter rules, I'll keep playing around with it and see if i can get it all to work, i'm just confused because like i said before i can run deus ex with all these mods without any issues at all, i even tried making my TNM ini file mirror the order that my deusex ini file has, but that didn't work either, not sure what to do other than decide which one id rather play through with haha
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Hedervarda wrote:hey all, thanks for the reply
I re-downloaded shifter 1.9 (just in case the file i had was causing the issue) and installed the newly downloaded shifter, but i'm having the same problem, for whatever reason when shifter is prioritized in the ini file it does not load hdtp textures
And you're on Release 2 of HDTP?
Hedervarda
Mole Person

Post by Hedervarda »

yep, redownloaded and re installed that today too, but still no change, the only difference i can see between running deus ex and the nameless mod, is that i'm using kentie's launcher for deus ex, but i'm just using the shortcut for the nameless mod, but i'm not sure how that would make a difference
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

That makes every difference as they probably use two different config files. I'd recommend launching via the TNM shortcut. Check the shotcut to determine what ini file is used, then go into that ini file and edit paths appropriately.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Hedervarda
Mole Person

Post by Hedervarda »

checked that out like you recommended,
looking at the shortcut for tnm i found this line,

" INI= "C:\GOG Games\Deus Ex GOTY\TNM\System\TNM.ini"

which directs me to the ini file in my tnm system folder, unfortunately thats the one i've been messing around with, I'm still not totally sure what the TNM ini file in my deus ex system folder is for, but i'm pretty sure editing that one doesn't impact the game when launched by the short cut.

I looked a bit at the U file that is used to load shifter, but after a bit i figured thats way above my abilities and i don't want to irrevocably screw up, which i'm pretty sure i'd do if i tried to edit anything other than an ini file

i also have tried launching TNM with kentie's launcher but i never could get that figured out, the closest i was able to get with that was to have no music play, the off topic productions text float by (instead of eidos) and then normal deus ex loads, so i figured that wasn't going to give me any ammount of success

so basically i'm still stuck on my original problem, its not really the end of the world as i can still successfully launch and play the game, though i was hoping to be able to run it with all the improvements that i can run the original deus ex with.
Hedervarda
Mole Person

Post by Hedervarda »

just tried running again and checked the log, then ran deus ex and checked its log to note any differences,
basically deus ex is successfully loading all hdtp packages, whereas TNM is only loading hdtpanim

heres a section of the log from tnm

Log: Current mission number is -2, next is -1
Log: LoadMap: tnmintro?Name=Player?Class=TNM.Trestkon
Quote: Aim at the back of an opponent's head to deal maximum damage.
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: WindowsViewport0
Log: Loading: Package tnmintro
Log: Loading: Package HK_Interior
Log: Loading: Package V_Com_Center
Log: Loading: Package Mobile_Camp
Log: Loading: Package NYCBar
Log: Loading: Package Dockyard
Log: Loading: Package MolePeople
Log: Loading: Package HK_MJ12Lab
Log: Loading: Package HK_VersaLife
Log: Loading: Package Area51Textures
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexTiles
Log: Loading: Package Cmd_Tunnels
Log: Loading: Package MJ12_Lab
Log: Loading: Package SubBase
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexWallObj
Log: Loading: Package Moon
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexTextile
Log: Loading: Package HK_Helibase
Init: Shut down moving brush tracker for Level DX.MyLevel
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Unloading: Package Render
Log: Unloading: Package Catacombs
Log: Unloading: Package HDTPanim
Log: Unloading: Package DXFonts
Log: Garbage: objects: 46781->44303; refs: 708354
Log: Game class is 'TNMGameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level tnmintro.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame: ?Name=Player?Class=TNM.Trestkon
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is tnmintro.Mutator2
Log: Loading: Package HDTPanim
ScriptWarning: BoxMedium tnmintro.BoxMedium3 (Function DeusEx.Containers.PreBeginPlay:009A) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: BoxMedium tnmintro.BoxMedium3 (Function DeusEx.Containers.PreBeginPlay:00A2) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: TrashCan3 tnmintro.Trashcan2 (Function DeusEx.Containers.PreBeginPlay:009A) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: TrashCan3 tnmintro.Trashcan2 (Function DeusEx.Containers.PreBeginPlay:00A2) Accessed None
ScriptLog: DeusExLevelInfo - Spawned new mission script 'TNM.tnmMission25'
Log: Loading: Package TNMConvos2Text

not sure if that provides any more info about the issue, maybe i put hdtp files in the wrong place? im not sure why its only loading the hdtpanim file and nothing else
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

I just ran TNM and HDTP with Shifter with no problem. Got the skills for kills and everything. The problem either is that you aren't getting the right INI file or you just aren't noticing all the HDTP graphics. TNM really *isn't* compatible with Release 2. The most you'll see is stuff like the soda cans and other related Release 1 assets.

But it's all there, if you get it right.

Edit: All I see loading myself in the logs is HDTPAnim. If you see that you probably have it right.
Hedervarda
Mole Person

Post by Hedervarda »

ah ok, yeah i was looking specifically for the change in textures for light switches and the stun prod you can pick up right in the first level, with hdtp prioritized those textures do change, but if its an issue of compatibility with the 2nd release that would make sense as to why they don't all fully work together in tnm, well i guess i'll hold out for another patch or release or something, i'm a big fan of you guys' work! thanks for all the assistance!

and now that i think about it i was wondering why things like the stun prod ammo looked like they had the new texture but not the stun prod itself, question solved haha
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Hedervarda wrote:well i guess i'll hold out for another patch or release or something, i'm a big fan of you guys' work! thanks for all the assistance!
Yeah, another release of TNM would be what you are looking for, which I would say is highly unlikely. Basically with the way Deus Ex and HDTP works, it just replaces any of the common assets. It doesn't effect anything that is subclassed off of those assets (that's why a lot of the computers don't have the new texture). TNM has some newer HDTP type graphics simply because they got some of the Release 2 files off of the ground floor, but anything made since TNM's release that has been subclassed will be sure to have the old graphics.

The same goes for any other mod that you might run. 2027 is a special case, since they replaced all their graphics, so you won't see HDTP there at all, save perhaps a minor spot or two.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

I always thought Unreal Engine just saves the defaultproperties which were changed compared to the baseclass.
I guess the problem is DeusEx handling of this SkinColor variable of different classes, as this is hardcoded to use some fixed texture in BeginPlay().

So a simple idea would be to make up a Mutator which would look like:

Code: Select all

class TNMTextureFixer extends Mutator;

function PostBeginPlay()
{
	local Actor A;

Super.PostBeginPlay();

foreach AllActors(Class'Actor',A)
	{
		switch ( A.Class.Name )
		{
			case 'SecurityBot2':
				// You get this part out of SecurityBot2.uc BeginPlay().
				switch ( SecurityBot2(A).SkinColor )
				{
					case SC_UNATCO:		A.MultiSkins[1] = Texture'THENEW_SecurityBot2Tex1'; break;
					case SC_Chinese:	A.MultiSkins[1] = Texture'THENEW_SecurityBot2Tex2'; break;
				}
				break;
			case 'SomeOtherBrokenActor':
				// [..]
				break;

}

}
}

defaultproperties
{
}
And hook this in, so this would be run once per map startup. Another option would be do edit all these lines in the TNM files.

Hedervarda as both approaches doesn't even require basic programming knowledge and if you really want to have that fixed why don't you try this on your own?
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.