"Improving Deus Ex's Graphics With Mods" - Any updates?

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
nalle
Thug

"Improving Deus Ex's Graphics With Mods" - Any updates?

Post by nalle »

I noticed that this guide on how to improve TNM visually was posted in 2010: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-nameless- ... -with-mods

Just wondering if there are any updates to the guide that I ought to know about?

I had to reinstall TNM recently for the first time in years so I haven't bothered thinking about potential updates in a long time. I'd be grateful for any help!
ggrotz
X-51

Re: "Improving Deus Ex's Graphics With Mods" - Any updates?

Post by ggrotz »

nalle wrote: Just wondering if there are any updates to the guide that I ought to know about?
That list is pretty much it. The only newer "thing" since that guide is the two newer versions of HDTP and the final version of New Vision.

Check this for the newest version of HDTP, which is in an installer which will do *most* of the other things on that guide for you in addition to installing HDTP. (save ENBSeries if you want that)

Then check this for the final New Vision version. Again in convenient installer form. Be sure to install this before you install HDTP as this installer wipes out all the renderer settings and other changes that the HDTP installer makes.
nalle
Thug

Post by nalle »

Thanks for the reply! I did as you wrote and I'm currently running TNM with the DX10 renderer and everything seems to be working just fine, with one exception. In dark places, especially ventilation shafts, I get missing/completely black textures and I don't know why. Example: https://imgur.com/xFy0Lhz

You wouldn't happen to know why?

Also, I might as well ask if ENBSeries is worth installing? I've never tried it myself.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

nalle wrote: You wouldn't happen to know why?

Also, I might as well ask if ENBSeries is worth installing? I've never tried it myself.
Nearest that I understand, it's a bug in the DX10 render that happens on Nvidia hardware. If you want the more stable renderers, go with the DX9 or OpenGL one. Actually for the 2027 HUD futz sequence, you can't play it on the DX10 renderer because you can't see enough at all. YMMV I suppose.

ENBSeries is a modification someone made to the DX9 renderer, which forces a configurable level of bump mapping onto the game. It's a taste and preference thing. Personally I don't run with it on (2027 installs it by default, so I've *used* it), as it tends to produce too "gaudy" effects in a lot of respects or washes out a lot of things. But YMMV on it, I suppose, as some do like it.
nalle
Thug

Post by nalle »

I took some screenshots with the different renderers and I've concluded that the OpenGL one is the best looking one, so I'm just gonna go with that one and hopefully get rid of the black texture bug in the process.

As for ENBSeries, if it installs with 2027 then I've seen it and I didn't like the effects so I won't try it out.

Thanks for the help.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

nalle wrote:Thanks for the reply! I did as you wrote and I'm currently running TNM with the DX10 renderer and everything seems to be working just fine, with one exception. In dark places, especially ventilation shafts, I get missing/completely black textures and I don't know why. Example: https://imgur.com/xFy0Lhz

You wouldn't happen to know why?

This bug on NVidia hardware might have been fixed as of a month ago, try grabbing the latest D3D10 renderer from http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

It also relies very much on personal preference. I don't like the DX10 lighting effects, and it makes the game way darker than it should be. For me, DX9 or OpenGL are the way to go, as they really capture the original atmosphere (plus they play nice with UE1.5).
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Actually D3D9 makes the game look darker, the real problem anyone would have with Direct X 10 render would probably be the over saturated lighting, although classic lighting offsets this a bit.
nalle
Thug

Post by nalle »

Is it the case that texture quality is affected by which renderer you use? I ask because in the screenshots I took for comparison I could see a clear difference.