Release Party Pooper

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Frankguy
Thug

Release Party Pooper

Post by Frankguy »

I got a new machine about two months ago and I have had no problems with any games or other software except for Deus Ex and Invisible War.
Invisible War crashes to desk top at random and Deus Ex won't run with the patch installed.

Deus Ex does run well on my new machine without the patch (I have recently played it all the way through) but it fails to start if I apply the patch: So after the TNM installs the patch neither Deus Ex or the mod will start. I have Windows XP, an Intel Q6600 processor and 4GB of memory. Do you know what I can do to fix this?

Both Deus Ex and TNM give this critical error.
critical error:
Class PlayerPawn Member Player problem: Script=1488 C++=1492

History: VerifyClasses <-UGameEngine::LoadMap <-UGameEngine::Int <-XGameEngineExt::Init <-DDeusExGameEngine::Init <-InitEngine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Release Party Pooper

Post by Jonas »

Moved to Help & Support.

I seem to have encountered that error before but I don't remember if there's a proper solution. Hopefully somebody will know what to do.

I assume you've tried reinstalling everything?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Do you have the GOTY Edition?
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Frankguy
Thug

Post by Frankguy »

Jonas wrote:Moved to Help & Support.

I seem to have encountered that error before but I don't remember if there's a proper solution. Hopefully somebody will know what to do.

I assume you've tried reinstalling everything?
Yes, in fact, my first thought was to reinstall Deus Ex and hope that TNM would be fooled into working with the non-patched version. However no combination of reinstallations of either program will get me a working version of TNM.
Trestkon wrote:Do you have the GOTY Edition?
No I have that giant silver and blue box with JC looking up at the raised lettering "DEUS EX" on the front cover. I believe it to be the original product but it sits on my shelf as if it were purchased yesterday. Do you think that I might have better luck with the Steam version or do you think that it is a multicore / OS problem?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well I have a multicore (tested it on both dual and quad), Windows XP, and the original version of the game, and it works for me, so uh... wut.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
hozz
Thug

Post by hozz »

Hello everyone, I have the same problem here. XP SP3, Deus Ex German version (no GOTY I think).

Installed DX again after a looooooooong time, when I heard about TNM.
DX crashes when patched to 1.109fm_D1 (earlier attempt) and 1.112fm_D1 (now) with that error. Have not tried the unpatched version (1.103) yet...

The error happens when trying to start TNM, too. Arrr!!

I need to play this badly =D> , anybody maybe has an idea?
Attachments
eeeeeeeeeeeek.jpg
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I seem to remember encountering that bug before, but it's a DX thing and has little to do with TNM. The only advice I can give you is delete everything and reinstall, but if that doesn't work either, I have no idea.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
xcomcmdr
Thug

Post by xcomcmdr »

did both of you try to delete DeusEx.ini so when you run DeusEx.exe again, it would show the first time run screen (where you can select your 3D renderer) and make a proper DeusEx.ini file ?

And if DX crashes, did you try to delete DeusEx.ini and select one of the new renderers ? (the old ones might refuse to work... just a guess..)

choosing "show all renderers" in the first-time run screen of DX might be needed to choose the proper one.

The three "new" renderers (DX8 enhanced, OpenGL enhanced, and DX9) are here : http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ They must be decompressed in DeusEx\System.

'cause if you can't run DX at all, not even once, TNM is expected not to run.

Deleting DeusEx.ini, that's what I do when DeusEx won't run for no reason. If this does not work, maybe you must install the VC++ runtime libraries. But I'm very doubtful that will work. The error messages would be different.
hozz
Thug

Post by hozz »

Thanks for the ideas. I posted here as I guessed most people encountering this problem now will be due to TNM ;)

DX in install version (1.003) works.
Any patched DX does not work. I tried all renderers, downloaded the opengl 3.4 and DX8/DX9 renderers from the link, still the same. Has it something to do with the renderers?, as the error message is cryptic to me :-^
Compatibility mode for win98 does not do the trick either.

Maybe I'll have some more ideas tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks - not being able to play TNM is even harder when going through the bonus material (Helga's Kraut Castle is especially interesting to me as a German :roll: )
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I have no trouble that is out of the ordinary, I use XP SP3 on a single core comp, DX GOTY, fully patched (It did not come with ALL of the patches, I had to upgrade it to v1112fm (>.> @ Eidos/Ion Strom/Whoever)), I have fewer problems than other people have had. :D
xcomcmdr
Thug

Post by xcomcmdr »

What about the VC++ runtime librairies ?
-> http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... =32&t=1688

Two more ideas :
1.Do you have DEP turned on for everything ? By default, it's only enabled for Windows stuff. It's in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Settings (under "Performance") -> "Data Execution Prevention" (last tab).
Default setting (the one wich makes Deus Ex run) :

2.Installing the latest Microsoft DirectX (november 2008) can fix some games. It would be a "missing dll" error, though..
You can download it here : http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/deta ... 20f1244a8e
Be sure to select your language on the download page.

I'm starting to run out of ideas. Besides, I think it's unlikely thoses 3 last ideas will make any difference. But it doesn't hurt to try.
hozz
Thug

Post by hozz »

The VC++ did not help.

The other 2 ideas were already in effect.

Thanks for the efforts though :)

Anybody give me at least a pic of Helga's Kraut Castle (Kastle?) :mrgreen:

Stupid question: the patch installer asks if i want to overwrite some .u files. Clicking "Yes" is correct, yep? Just strange for a patch to ask.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh actually try not overwriting those files, I've heard that might help on another forum.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
hozz
Thug

Post by hozz »

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT, IT WORKED!

TNM is starting :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So the solution to the error is (for me at least):
When applying 1.112 patch, at the end of the install procedure, you are asked if you want to overwrite some .u files. Select "No" for each.

Hopefully there won't be crashes due to the semi-applied patch, but for now it looks good =P~ =P~ =P~

Thansk for all the help.

Helga, I'm coming for you :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Awesome, glad to hear it worked. Enjoy the mod! Try not to find too many bugs ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine