Any way to increase font size for high resolutions?

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
McChuck
Mole Person

Re: Any way to increase font size for high resolutions?

Post by McChuck »

Thehotdogman wrote:
sep wrote:Using 640x480 or 800x600 during conversations, the text will sometimes scroll off the bottom of the screen, since the font is too large. Are there any quick fixes for this?
Didn't know if it needed its own thread as its in the vein of the posted problem. I'm having this problem. Would we need to decrease the text size for low resolutions? The worst part is that some decision options are off screen, and that's just messed up, man.
I've got this problem exactly. I'm running TNM in 800x600 resolution and I never see the last line. It's especially hard when the last option of a coversation is not displayed. Is there a way I could fix it by myself, or do I have to wait for a patch?

BTW let me just say that you guys have done some amazing work with this mod. Truly impresive.
robocop
Thug

Post by robocop »

McChuck wrote:
Thehotdogman wrote:
sep wrote: snip
snip
snip
Fourthed. The leap-of-faith involved in blindly choosing an invisible fourth option in dialogue (because the other 3 options don't look very appealing) grinds on my nerves. What can we do?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It's possible to add a function to the playerclass (and a check to conplay) to force the smaller version of conversation fonts, so remind me (that means you, Jonas) and I'll add it tonight.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Actually I think Nick may already have done that. You'll want to check with him before you do anything.

And lastly I've said it before but I'll say it again: DX does not play well with widescreen. I play in windowed to circumvent that.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

Hmmm, I play widescreen (1920x1200) with TNM and have absolutely no problems with anything.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

Jcelios wrote:Hmmm, I play widescreen (1920x1200) with TNM and have absolutely no problems with anything.
Neither do I except the problem with extremely small fonts (In the Goals screen etc).
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

JC12 wrote:
Jcelios wrote:Hmmm, I play widescreen (1920x1200) with TNM and have absolutely no problems with anything.
Neither do I except the problem with extremely small fonts (In the Goals screen etc).
Well that text is fine for me also.
It might be the size of my monitor which is 24 inches.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well my 26" monitor's res is 1920x1200 actually, tbh I just play in windowed because it's more convenient :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ghostdog
Thug

Post by ghostdog »

I also have problem with the font size. Playing at 1680x1050 with the otpuifix makes the text unreadable and without it the UI is just ugly. Even in 1280x800 the text is hard to read.

What exactly did the otpuifix changed? Isn't there a way to manually set how much you want to scale the UI?
DDL

Post by DDL »

No.

The UI scales in factors of 2 ONLY. So you can have it at the original scale (where it's huge at 800x600, gets progressively smaller until 1280x1024, then doubles in size and then gets progressively smaller again), or you can use the otpuifix, which stops the doubling happening, so it just gets progressively smaller and smaller.

Them's the breaks. :/
[]KAOS[]Casey
Thug

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

for the record, I have never heard of anyone successfully importing a truly new font, that someone made from scratch, perhaps I should ask Smirftsch to see just how fonts are created? Maybe you need a file created in an archaic format..? supposedly, you can import them using TTFs but it never worked. This page is supposed to show how though.

http://unreal.epicgames.com/TTFImport.htm
I have seen code that has surely darkened my soul within the depths of the unreal engine itself.
Shameless plug for Unreal 227 patch : http://www.oldunreal.com/
ghostdog
Thug

Post by ghostdog »

DDL wrote:It's possible to add a function to the playerclass (and a check to conplay) to force the smaller version of conversation fonts, so remind me (that means you, Jonas) and I'll add it tonight.
So is it possible to do the opposite, like forcing the bigger fonts in an small UI ? And I don't mean just the conversations, but also books, datacubes, etc.
BoneofMalkav
Thug

Post by BoneofMalkav »

ghostdog wrote:
DDL wrote:It's possible to add a function to the playerclass (and a check to conplay) to force the smaller version of conversation fonts, so remind me (that means you, Jonas) and I'll add it tonight.
So is it possible to do the opposite, like forcing the bigger fonts in an small UI ? And I don't mean just the conversations, but also books, datacubes, etc.
It's the unreal engine,so it should be possible if done correctly.But I barely know C++ so I'm not sure if any uscripting could be done to help with the text size.
Existence is overshadowing.Severance is forbearing. Difference is continuous. Self Destruction is imminent. Pain brings dreams to closure. Death brings Life to those unchanged by the Hues of Madness
CP5670
Mole Person

Post by CP5670 »

I'm getting the same problem with this. Are there any plans to fix it?

I normally play Deus Ex at 2048x1536 with the 640x480 hud. It looks blocky, but there is no issue with readability. In TNM, playing without the hud fix makes the conversation text cut off as people have described, and the hud fix makes all text in general microscopic.

I tried 1600x1200 with the hud fix but some types of text are still too small, especially the datacube/email font, while playing at 1280x960 with the fix makes things readable but the rest of the game looks quite a bit worse now. :/

The original game doesn't have this problem with the text clipping. It uses a smaller font for the conversation window in the 640x480 hud. Is there a way to force TNM to use that font instead of the usual one?

This looks like a fantastic TC otherwise from the little I've played so far (the music in particular is exceptional), so I really want to get this working properly.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well I know Nick tweaked the font sizes a bit for 1.0.2 so maybe your problem will be fixed. Maybe.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine