Any way to increase font size for high resolutions?

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
elkston
Thug

Any way to increase font size for high resolutions?

Post by elkston »

Hi.

First of all, congratulations on this release. I installed it without a hitch (from the .exe package), on top of an existing DX installation that incidentally had many mods run under it. I'm sure you guys tested the install under various types of initial DX configs, but I'm just letting you know that my DX directory has been used & abused and everything was flawless in spite of this.

Everything is working fine so far, including the training mission. My only problem is that I run the game at 1920x1200 (widescreen) resolution and the onscreen text is simply too small for my aging eyes. I was hoping the game would "scale" the text fonts and icon graphics like it does in the original DX, but it seems TNM is using a fixed size no matter what.

Is there a config file I could edit to make the text larger? Or will I have to set it to a lower resolution?

P.S. - Really LOVE the intro flyover and music!
P.S. #2 (Wish Treskton had a few more face and racial options).

Again, I want to stress how awesome it is to be playing a brand new DX adventure!!!!
sep
Mole Person

Re: Any way to increase font size for high resolutions?

Post by sep »

Using 640x480 or 800x600 during conversations, the text will sometimes scroll off the bottom of the screen, since the font is too large. Are there any quick fixes for this?
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

The font size issue is caused by the OTP UI fix, else Deus Ex would blow up the entire hud and it would look crazy. But given that resolution, I can understand that you can't read anything ;)

There is a topic around these forums that shows how to install the fix (and thus also how to remove it). I think it might also be an option in the TNM installer(?). I think it is in the TNM.ini somewhere, check for otpUI or something. I'll update this post once I have TNM installed again :)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'm not sure this'll work, but try opening TNM.ini in \DeusEx\TNM\System\ and finding the line Root=TNMGUI.tnmRootWindow. Try replacing that line with Root=DeusEx.DeusExRootWindow and see if that fixes it for you.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
elkston
Thug

Post by elkston »

Jonas wrote:I'm not sure this'll work, but try opening TNM.ini in \DeusEx\TNM\System\ and finding the line Root=TNMGUI.tnmRootWindow. Try replacing that line with Root=DeusEx.DeusExRootWindow and see if that fixes it for you.
YES. That did it, Jonas. Everything is blown up (scaled) again and my eyes are saved!

Thank you.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No problem, we should probably put that in the manual come to think of it. And site FAQ.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
elkston
Thug

Post by elkston »

It's not without its caveats, of course. Occasionally the text will run off the screen when there are long discussion blocks (or big lists of replies too, I imagine). Not a big deal, really. I'm just happy to be able to play at monitor's native resolution.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We've tried to avoid having big lists of replies, we only ever give you 4 options at a time, which is what Deus Ex did, but once in a while we may have neglected to clear the previous dialogue from the screen first, which will indeed be a problem on low resolutions. By all means report that if it happens, and we can fix it in a patch :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ZIGS
NSF

Post by ZIGS »

elkston wrote:
Jonas wrote:I'm not sure this'll work, but try opening TNM.ini in \DeusEx\TNM\System\ and finding the line Root=TNMGUI.tnmRootWindow. Try replacing that line with Root=DeusEx.DeusExRootWindow and see if that fixes it for you.
YES. That did it, Jonas. Everything is blown up (scaled) again and my eyes are saved!

Thank you.
This is awesome, I was having the same problem, had to run the game @ 1024x768, now I can run it @ 1680x1050 without going blind :lol:
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

I kind of have the same problem but it was the Vanilla DX too.

I sit about 3ft away from my Monitor with a res of 1440x900 and from this distance the text is just too small or hard to read. Yes I could bring my monitor a bit forward but is there anyway of actually bumping up the text size?

It's increasingly harder to read small white writing in a bright room and such...strains my eyes to read a damn thing sometimes. :mrgreen:
Thehotdogman
NSF

Post by Thehotdogman »

sep wrote:Using 640x480 or 800x600 during conversations, the text will sometimes scroll off the bottom of the screen, since the font is too large. Are there any quick fixes for this?
Didn't know if it needed its own thread as its in the vein of the posted problem. I'm having this problem. Would we need to decrease the text size for low resolutions? The worst part is that some decision options are off screen, and that's just messed up, man.
Daedalus:GlobalNode:UN//UNATCO//PUBLIC//923.128.6430/ForumPost
crinkelite
Mole Person

Post by crinkelite »

I was hoping to bump up the text size too as I'm really hoping to get stuck in when I get my 32" telly back from being repaired,
low resolutions look pretty bad on the screen but I want to play this using my xbox controller while sitting away from the screen.
I tried the fix posted by jonas but I didn't work.
I'm running this mod on the GOTY version of deus ex. the exact text that jonas said to replace was not there but there was something almost identical. I replaced the line but I had no effect.
anyone got any Ideas?

looks GREAT by the way!
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

crinkelite wrote:I was hoping to bump up the text size too as I'm really hoping to get stuck in when I get my 32" telly back from being repaired,
low resolutions look pretty bad on the screen but I want to play this using my xbox controller while sitting away from the screen.
I tried the fix posted by jonas but I didn't work.
I'm running this mod on the GOTY version of deus ex. the exact text that jonas said to replace was not there but there was something almost identical. I replaced the line but I had no effect.
anyone got any Ideas?

looks GREAT by the way!
Wait....Deus Ex with an Xbox Controller? :-k
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The thing about switching back to the DX root window is that it scales up and down in increments, so it goes like this:

640x480: Huge GUI
800x600: Normal GUI
1024x768: Small GUI
1280x1024: Huge GUI

Etc. So if you have a very large screen that just happens to be at the end of an interval, you'll get a GUI which may be too small for you to comfortable read. There is no known fix for this, sorry.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

And the otpuifix avoids the rescaling, and thus makes this

640x480: Huge GUI
800x600: Normal GUI
1024x768: Small GUI
1280x1024: Tiny GUI
1920x1200: TIIIIINY GUI

So that'd be why you want it off.

crinkelite: what exactly did you replace in tnm.ini?