Game not starting

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Game not starting

Post by Trestkon »

Citizen86 wrote:
Trestkon wrote:
Citizen86 wrote:I have the D2D version, had the same problem after installing TNM. I installed the patch and that did not fix the problem and broke Deus Ex as well. I might uninstall both, install Deus Ex, patch, then install TNM, although I don't know if that will help....
That's our default solution to everything. If you try that and it still doesn't work at least we know exactly where you're at for debugging.
Right, sorry, I wasn't implying that it was. Just that I tried that and it didn't work.

There is someone at hardforum.com that says he has the d2d version, he patched it, downloaded and installed the Visual C++ program, installed TNM and it runs fine. I tried the same thing and still getting the same error as the first post. Not sure where to go from here.
Hehe, what are you sorry for? I was serious :p Have you tried it?
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Holo121
Mole Person

Post by Holo121 »

I reinstalled Deus Ex and installed the patch over it and it broke Deus Ex, same error as I was getting with The Nameless Mod. I tried this three times just to be safe, and tried installing The Nameless Mod anyway to no avail.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Erg, this problem is strange. I would blame it on the D2D version, but your compatriot over on the other forums seems to have gotten it to work just fine. This requires a bit more thinking....
Citizen86
Thug

Post by Citizen86 »

It must be something to do with the D2D protection. The stock patch overwrites this and causes an error. So TNM must be trying to do the same thing, bypassing or doing something that doesn't agree with the D2D protection.

I just have no idea what that might be...
Citizen86
Thug

Post by Citizen86 »

Trestkon wrote:Hehe, what are you sorry for? I was serious :p Have you tried it?
Heh, I misread what you said. I thought you said "That's not our default solution to everything." My mistake.
Last edited by Citizen86 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Citizen86
Thug

Post by Citizen86 »

This is the exact problem, in case it helps....

superfod
Mole Person

Post by superfod »

I tried everything that was suggested with same results. Has to be something in D2d.
Finally went to a friend and he had a copy from Sold Out Software which was already patched to 112f. I uninstalled everything and installed from his disk and the installed The Nameless Mod and everything is working fine now with the exception of a few crashes here and there already reported and a few other problems also already reported.

I am really liking this mod.

Superfod
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

superfod wrote:I tried everything that was suggested with same results. Has to be something in D2d.
Finally went to a friend and he had a copy from Sold Out Software which was already patched to 112f. I uninstalled everything and installed from his disk and the installed The Nameless Mod and everything is working fine now with the exception of a few crashes here and there already reported and a few other problems also already reported.

I am really liking this mod.

Superfod
Wow, that's so weird, but good to know. Thanks for confirming the problem!
Citizen86
Thug

Post by Citizen86 »

I thought maybe copying the deusex.exe and replacing the TNM.exe with the D2D .exe would help, but it didn't... it loaded the regular game.
Shadow Warrior
Thug

Post by Shadow Warrior »

This is really vague, so I'm sorry. But it may help in some way. I was getting a similar error when I first downloaded TNM. Then I put the OpenGL download on and the error message that is being talked about in this thread came up. Now I'm stuck in the same boat as everybody here. I do have the d2d, by the way.
“True liberty consists only in the power of doing what we ought to will, and in not being constrained to do what we ought not to will” - Jonathan Edwards
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Shadow Warrior wrote:This is really vague, so I'm sorry. But it may help in some way. I was getting a similar error when I first downloaded TNM. Then I put the OpenGL download on and the error message that is being talked about in this thread came up. Now I'm stuck in the same boat as everybody here. I do have the d2d, by the way.
I think at this point we're assuming it doesn't work with D2D. I'm not sure what they did to their version but I don't think it's compatible. We're going to have to investigate this further and see if there's some way we can fix it.
Citizen86
Thug

Post by Citizen86 »

Is there anything you think we can do to help? Send you the .exe file, or something else?
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Citizen86 wrote:Is there anything you think we can do to help? Send you the .exe file, or something else?
Actually, does D2D have decent support? If you could find out what files they change in their version we might be able to work out a fix.
Citizen86
Thug

Post by Citizen86 »

It's worth a shot, but I would say probably not.

Example: I wanted to buy Beyond Good and Evil about a year ago. Their webpage said available in Canada, US, and Mexico. I am in Mexico. I wasn't able to buy it, it said my country was not allowed. I went to support, sent in my problem, waited a couple days, and someone emails me back asking if I was having trouble with my credit card. I say no, my credit card is fine, the problem is that your website says I cannot purchase it in my country when I go to checkout, although it says I should be able to. She says she can't help. I say can you please check whether there is an error in the system or if the game is mislabeled and I actually can't buy it. She said she can't help.

Next day she tells me to try it again, and it works.

Their support is spotty, but maybe they can do something. I doubt they'll be willing to tell us about their copy protection though.
Shadow Warrior
Thug

Post by Shadow Warrior »

I'll try there support when I get out of class later...about 3:00 o'clock
“True liberty consists only in the power of doing what we ought to will, and in not being constrained to do what we ought not to will” - Jonathan Edwards