When I quit TMN, the ingame gamma remains in the desktop

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
ZIGS
NSF

When I quit TMN, the ingame gamma remains in the desktop

Post by ZIGS »

Usually when you stop playing a game and return to desktop, the gamma goes back to the original the desktop was set for. When I quit TMN, the desktop gamma is higher (things are brighter). Any way to fix this?

EDIT: nevermind, disregard this topic
Epifols
Thug

Re: When I quit TMN, the ingame gamma remains in the desktop

Post by Epifols »

How did you fix this? I have the same problem. I'm not overly bothered since it resets when I reboot, though.
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Yeah I've got that problem as well... Maybe because I changed the brightness settings?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Have you guys tried switching to the DX9 renderer from Chris Dohnal's website?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Raistlin
Mole Person

Post by Raistlin »

A workaround for this, is to load the game up again, and set the in-game brightness to the default (0.5, I think) and then close the game using the Task Manager (otherwise it will reset the gamma you had when you loaded, the too bright one).
Your desktop should then be normal again.

The problem is caused when the game crashes - it doesn't get a chance to restore the normal gamma your desktop was when you started the game. Subsequent loads of the game make it reset the gamma when the game started (ie, the too bright one.)
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

Seems like usually when I start TNM, it sets the brightness in windows to what TNM wants, then when TNM actually appears the brightness is too dark (wtf?), so I have to go into the brightness menu to fix it... then when I exit, it doesn't set the brightness back to the original windows brightness, so I have to restore that myself too. Fortunately I normally set it using a program that I made myself which directly sets the gamma ramp (by running one of a set of shortcuts which calls said program with a particular value parameter, or pressing a key combo which runs said shortcut because windows can find it in the start menu).

I got tired of (a) having any gamma settings and profiles I set be erased whenever I updated graphics drivers, thanks NVidia (I use ATI now though), and (b) ATI and NVidia's control panels not letting me set a keyboard shortcut or make any kind of shortcut to set the gamma, requiring many more clicks or keypresses to change the gamma. And since I could use the force and the main set gamma ramp API function was sufficiently documented... (programming = using the force as far as computers are concerned)

(There has to be an undocumented one somewhere because it's possible to invert the colors on the display, but I can't do it using the normal gamma ramp windows API function. I've found posts and such referring to its existance, but no documentation.)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Don't know if this will be of any help, but hey..

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... lit=radeon
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

DDL wrote:Don't know if this will be of any help, but hey..

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... lit=radeon
DDL wrote:What kinda graphics card do you have?

I used to get this all the time with ATI cards, but opening the radeon control panel and pretty much touching ANY screen colour/brightness/gamma setting (not even changing, just selecting) would whip it back to the original brightness.
Ah, for the last few days I've been trying to remember how I used to fix the gamma being stuck after a DX crash, but I guess it must have been when I was on an ATI card.

I think I'll just switch to the DX9 renderer.