Testers wanted for DXOgg.dll fix

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Testers wanted for DXOgg.dll fix

Post by Jonas »

Hey everybody,
I'm sorry to ask this of you, but we need a couple of people who experience frequent crashes to help us test potential fixes. Jim has sent me the first update of his DXOgg player, but since I never experience any crashes of that kind myself, I'm incapable of testing his fix. If any of you will help, I believe you can apply your fix directly to your current game, and the crashing should stop or at least be reduced in frequency if the fix is successful. If not, you should experience no change.

Reply here if you're interested and I'll drop you a PM with further details.

Thanks!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Re: Testers wanted for DXOgg.dll fix

Post by JC12 »

I'm Interested. A lot of my game crashes stem from the dxogg.dll so I'm quite willing to test it out. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thanks, you have been duly contacted via PM.

Anybody else up for it?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I'll check it out. I've only had like two crashes since I reinstalled post-Shifter though.
Chrome
Thug

Post by Chrome »

Sign me up, my game crashes sometimes so bad i have to emergency-shut dowmn my computer
Sanity is for the Weak.....
Dunago
Mole Person

Post by Dunago »

I crash quite a bit sometimes not sure if this will help but i'll use it :)
Master Otenko: Watch; this is the Pile Driver! Taiyohhhhhh!!
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

The easiest way to see if it is the dxogg.dll that makes your game crash (As Jonas said, it doesn't effect him but does others), after you have a crash do the following;

Start > Run > Eventvwr, and then click on Applications

Right click the Application Error (If TNM just crashed it should be the latest one) and click Properties.

Just incase. :mrgreen: The file might not be affecting you at all...
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

Sign me up.
Dunago
Mole Person

Post by Dunago »

Oh I dont need it all on all my crashes it says faulting module unknown #-o
Master Otenko: Watch; this is the Pile Driver! Taiyohhhhhh!!
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up because I'm not 100% positive, but I've been working on this thing all day to nail it down, and I -believe- I may have found it. This one has been kind of difficult primarily because I never had it happen myself, nor did any of the dev team (at least if they did they didn't know what it was at the time). A very detestable bug to sneak it's way into release like that. A highly rude bug if I say so myself.. Regardless though, I'm working mostly blind here because I don't get the crashes myself.

I'm going to attach an updated DLL with a potential bug/crashfix to this message and let you all test it out freely, but note however that I am absolutely not guaranteeing anything at all. For all I know this could do absolutely nothing, but so far it's looking promising from preliminary testing (many thanks to JC12 for giving it a go).

Replace the existing one in DeusEx\System. Also, it shouldn't be necessary, but in case I slipped a bug in there while trying to fix this bug (it has been known to happen on occasion), back up the old DLL somewhere. If no new bugs seem to be apparent you can delete it.

I want people to also realize that some of the crashes may be caused by other reasons, because DX itself isn't the most stable game in the world after all, so I'm not going to claim it to be a total crash fix by any means, but *hopefully* it should fix the ones related to DXOgg that we've been seeing people reporting.

[removed - please use the chocobo version on page 5 of this thread. This one was a verified no go]
I exist within the power lines...for some odd reason.
xcomcmdr
Thug

Post by xcomcmdr »

Sign me up too. ;)

(Dxoggtest.zip downloaded and applied)
vins84
Mole Person

Post by vins84 »

Sign me up!
gazzari
Mole Person

Post by gazzari »

I'll give it a go also. I'll check the error log as you suggest next time it happens. My mate has also had a few crashes also. Dont happen all the time, well not enough to annoy me ... yet. Mod iself ... excellent stuff so far, not going too fast, need it to last ... :)
Scale
NSF

Post by Scale »

I am also going test this since i crash 10 times a day ;)

If this version crashes, ill have a debug and ill get you the address where it happens.
Or if you have no experience with that if you send me the source code i can tell you exactly in what function the error occurs but let's hope that doesn't happend :)

Thanks for the hard work Jim!
gazzari
Mole Person

Post by gazzari »

Yes, 4 times DXOgg.dll caused a crash. The 5th time (today) it was the test version from a few posts up.
And, yes, asked to overwrite when pasted it in, and did, so should be the new one in there.

galaxy.dll also caused 1 crash...it's in the log anyway.