Testers wanted for DXOgg.dll fix

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Re: Testers wanted for DXOgg.dll fix

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I've had four crashes since updating to the new dll, not a single one attributed to it.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Well goddamn, totally jinxed myself with that post. Just had a dxogg.dll crash. Two entries in the event viewer:
Faulting application tnm.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module dxogg.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00058e7f.
Fault bucket 1194637834.
Attachments
TNM.rar
tnm.ogg
(4.65 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

And another. :(
Faulting application tnm.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module dxogg.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00058e7f.
No "fault bucket" (whatever that is) extra entry this time.
I dunno if this matters or could pinpoint the cause or help in troubleshooting, but the post-quickload crashes all behave in the same way- after a quickload the game stutters and skips badly (visually- the audio continues playing fine), and then it minimizes with a TNM.exe has experienced an error message, with the game still playing fine behind that. After you click don't send it still runs seemingly normal for a few seconds. The module unknown and dxogg.dll crashes both behave the exact same way.

Also lol:
ZeroPresence: WTF is jet setting? Do you set jets on the floor, then laugh as they rocket in random directions?
Jetsetting is when you're rich and powerful enough to freely travel the globe and fly around in jets without care of missing work or cost. It's a.. mildly antiquated term. :P
Attachments
TNM.rar
tnm.log
(6.42 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

:|
The likelihood of these seems to have spiked since I entered Worldcorp for the second time, that's three this morning...
Attachments
tnm.rar
tnm.log
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
xcomcmdr
Thug

Post by xcomcmdr »

I should say that around since I was on the firestaff mission underground the crashes are back to their old rate (wich is : quite often on reload / while moving around). No more crashes when I enter the PDX building, though. I applied the 2nd new DXOgg.dll file back when I had just cleared the ShadowCode part (beware, my memory is full of bad sectors these days).

No signs of DXOgg.dll in the Event Viewer. Just the same error I posted earlier each time. I could post another TNM log file if that's needed.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

If the game is still playing when you get the error it means that an external thing (Aka the OGG DLL) has crashed. If it was DX that was actualy crashing then you wouldn't be able to go back ingame as the game would have crashed.
xcomcmdr
Thug

Post by xcomcmdr »

In fact, that's the case. It is best viewed in windowed mode, when the error displays, and the game still runs until I click on "OK".

and BTW : from time to time, TNM freezes. The music plays, but TNM is "not responding". No error box, just a freeze. It didn't happened before. And it happens quite often too.
Last edited by xcomcmdr on Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eviltoy
Mole Person

Post by eviltoy »

The "JimSucks" edition of dxogg.dll is a huge improvement- not seen any crashes related to it since.

Everything running well (few crashes here and there) on Wine 1.1.17 and ATI Catalyst 9.2 - the new OpenGL driver is a godsend as for some inexplicable reason the DirectX emulation for Deus Ex seems to run like crap now- worked perfectly a year or so ago.

Great mod, great fun, great sense of humour, dodgy accents just like the original! No idea how far I am through it yet, but =D> Most excellent...

Cheers, Paul
xcomcmdr
Thug

Post by xcomcmdr »

now I've just f***d up my last two hours of gameplay with a bad quicksave. :cry:
It's in a little room (where you can download ABI's archives and play tetris on the room's computer) where game freezes happen a lot.
When I load the quicksave, all my body parts are in 'yellow' health (they should be in green), and as soon as this quicksave is loaded, the game is frozen.

Appart from the DXOgg.dll "JimSucks" version, I haven't changed anything that would explain this new "freezing bug" (albeit the music and the last active looping sound, in this case as a camera sound, still play normally), I swear. :cry:

Now I'm gonna rocket my way through on fast mode to be back where I was. :x

Bad, bad quicksave...!
edit : Back in that room, and no freeze whatsoever so far. Strange.
Last edited by xcomcmdr on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eviltoy
Mole Person

Post by eviltoy »

Looks like I now have a bad quicksave too...

In the Voodoo shop and the bloody WC Accountant (WC=toilet in my part of the world) is blocking the exit. Even the gentlest prod to suggest that he move his fat accountant arse out of the doorway results in a world of pain.

I just wish that when that happened in real life I had the option of wanging a spork in their face.

(probably the wrong thread, I know)

Paul
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

I played for a good long time last night with the newest dxogg.dll, no crashes. I was running all over the city, and then doing the ShadowCode stuff. Haven't finished it yet.
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

jetset - you say that the game continues playing, but does the music still continue or does it stop? Does it happen for you only after quickloads and changing levels?
I exist within the power lines...for some odd reason.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jim wrote:jetset - you say that the game continues playing, but does the music still continue or does it stop? Does it happen for you only after quickloads and changing levels?
The music continues, as well as the sound effects. It only happens after quickloads- the only changing level crashes I've experiences are the documented ones involving certain buildings like PDX HQ. When the game starts to stutter and jump badly after a quickload, signifying it's about to crash, it only effects the video, not the audio.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

Not had any problems with the latest fix (Thanks Jim), no crashes at all and is all going smoothly....til now;
JC12 in another thread wrote:Just got to the point in the game where I have to take the shuttle to the Space Station only as soon as the little cinematic starts I get this error:

I don't think it's the DXOgg.dll that's causing a problem, but the actual music file itself maybe? I took a look in TNM\Music and the file is called "Blank.ogg" where as the error thinks it's called "Blank.ogg.ogg"?

:-k
I assumed it might be a Corrupt file and so replaced it with the one NavTac kindly uploaded but it didn't help. A Playback issue perhaps?

I can't say for sure wether it's dxogg.dll related since it's reporting an error with the actual music file.
xcomcmdr
Thug

Post by xcomcmdr »

Same problem happened to me with latest the "DXOgg.dll" (JimSucks version). So, I couldn't get to the space station.

Replaced with the old DXOgg.dll (TNM's original version) : no more error : the space shuttle demo plays fine. I arrived to the space station.