Critical error "Can't find file package 'tnm'

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
zsieg
Thug

Critical error "Can't find file package 'tnm'

Post by zsieg »

I have vanilla deus ex installed and while it runs fine I get the following error when attempting to run tnm using the exe located in the deusex/tnm/ folder

Can't find file for package 'tnm'

History: UObject:safeloaderrore <-UObject:staticloadclass<-initgameinfo<-UgameEngine::LoadMap<-UgameEngine::Init<-XgameEngineExt::Init<-DDeusExGameEngine::Init<-InitEngine

If I run tnm.exe located in deusEx/system it shows the mod's loading screen but regular deus ex starts.

As mentioned I have Deus ex goty installed with no other modifications except that I disabled the cd-check in deusex.ini. I am running windows me, but I have little choice.

Is there a way to manually install the game, or is the "package" in question a deus ex file?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Critical error "Can't find file package 'tnm'

Post by Jonas »

You need to start the mod with the shortcut the installer put on your desktop and in your start menu.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
zsieg
Thug

Post by zsieg »

Both the shortcut and the file it directs to give me the error. The only tnm exe that "works" is the one located in the dx system folder, and it only starts dx(which I assume is normal).

Looking at my log it seems to encounter the error either while loading entry.dx or right after, and that map file isn't located in tnm's map dir, but it is in dx's map folder. Tried copying it into tnm/maps but still get the error. Here is the relevant section of my log file, and once I find my copy of dx I'll reinstall and let you know if that fixed the issue.

Log: LoadMap: entry.dx
Log: Loading: Package Entry
Log: Loading: Package Title_Music
Warning: Failed to load 'TNM': Can't find file for package 'TNM'
Warning: Failed to load 'Class TNM.TNMGameInfo': Can't find file for package 'TNM'
Warning: Can't find file for package 'TNM'
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Can't find file for package 'TNM'
Critical: Windows GetLastError: There are no more files. (18)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Critical: UObject::SafeLoadError
Critical: UObject::StaticLoadClass
Critical: InitGameInfo
Critical: UGameEngine::LoadMap
Critical: UGameEngine::Init
Critical: XGameEngineExt::Init
Critical: DDeusExGameEngine::Init
Critical: InitEngine
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 03/18/09 13:57:19
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

search your deus ex install folder for tnm.u
is it there?
zsieg
Thug

Post by zsieg »

it is in tmn's system folder, but not in dx's.

Also I reinstalled both dx and tnm this time making sure I ran dx before installing tnm(last time I simply started the game up until the main menu, this time I made sure to start a game) and still getting the error.

could my tnm installer be corrupt? I would assume if that was the problem the file would not verify correctly but it does(although it takes 10 min or so). Will download it again just to be sure.

I knew this was all too good to be true. The last time I check was about 6 months or longer ago so I was suprised to read you guys had actually gone and done the impossible(release a full featured, fully voiced, apparently excellent deus ex mod). Now this happens? Why god, why?
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

yeah its supposed to be in the tnm folder. It may be a corrupt installer. Try downloading again I guess.
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

[color=#BF0000]that guy[/color] wrote:yeah its supposed to be in the tnm folder. It may be a corrupt installer. Try downloading again I guess.
...And verify the download by performing the MD5 checksum comparison. Search for md5sum; Wikipedia is a possible place to start.

In fact, you should do that on the copy you have already downloaded, zsieg. If it checks out, you might have something else wrong, like bad system RAM.
Premier
Mole Person

Post by Premier »

zsieg, I seem to be having the same problem as you, and discussing it in this thread. Do check it out now and again, maybe someone will offer a working solution in there.
zsieg
Thug

Post by zsieg »

Ok, downloaded tnm again and verified the checksum and it all checks out, but I still get the error.

Why oh why.
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

What OS? What drive and directory contains the Deus Ex installation?

I ask because the 64-bit Windows OSes put 32-bit and 64-bit executables in different directories, and sometimes the older applications can't find their files with low-level directory accesses. (The 64-bit Windows OSes will automatically remap high-level calls for you.)

Plus there's the possibility that the installer didn't put files in the expected places...

Edit: I just found out from the thread Cannot start TNM: "Can’t find file for package ’TNM’" that you are using Windows ME. Here's my comment in that thread:
[color=#BF0000]NatVac[/color] wrote:Eep! I forgot about the 512 MB memory limit of Windows 98/98SE/ME.

You guys are probably running out of memory. "There are no more files" is a common error in this low-memory situation.

Since the mod is much larger than the original Deus Ex game, I don't know if this can be resolved. But you can try to lower all the settings in your original game, then use those settings in the Deus Ex .INI files in your TNM .INI files for the same variables.

Also, the default higher quality features in TNM may contribute to the problem.

In the end, the mod still might not run in that small memory space. And it probably doesn't matter how much virtual memory you have.