How to switch from Software rendering to direct3d

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Deacon Lowdown
Mole Person

How to switch from Software rendering to direct3d

Post by Deacon Lowdown »

How can I get the startup menu when you first play Deus Ex up again so I can switch to D3D?
Kee715
Illuminati

Re: How to switch from Software rendering to direct3d

Post by Kee715 »

Go to settings, then display, then there is a button you can click that will allow you to change your rendering device, it is rather obviously named.
Deacon Lowdown
Mole Person

Post by Deacon Lowdown »

God, am I really that stupid? Thanks.

I swear, ask me for a concise history of Western Science, I'm your man. Ask me to to make a cup of tea, I'm dumbfounded.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

No problem, I just assumed that you just never had to use it and when looking through the options you just thought "Button, button, button, resolution, etc..." and not "Button, button, button, reso... WAIT! There it is... *Click*", I understand, I often miss things as well.

And pouring a cup of tea is harder than it looks, you have to pour it just right or you will spill it and make a mess that you will have to clean up...
TurboPubx-16
Mole Person

Post by TurboPubx-16 »

I'm having a problem choosing Direct3D as my rendering device. In Deus Ex, I can choose Direct3D from the "certified, compatible" list, the game recognizes my video card (a 9600GT), and the it runs fine. For TNM the only option in the "certified, compatible" list is Software rendering. When I choose Direct3D from the "unsupported" list I only get a back screen; I would play the game with Software rendering but there are tons of bugs (most of the game's objects are intersecting and clipping through each other. For example, in the apartment at the beginning of the game, the furniture is all sunk into the floor, I could see the knife hidden underneath the pillows, etc.) Can anyone help me find out why I Direct3D works great with Deus Ex but not with this mod? Yes, I have tried reinstalling the mod.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Check you're using the same actual renderer in both: given that there are several D3D renderers for DX out there now.

Compare the settings near the top of deusex.ini and tnm.ini and see if they agree.