Direct3D9 Renderer

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Direct3D9 Renderer

Post by Trestkon »

Is anyone using this? I know a bunch of people switched over because the lack of alt-tab with the OpenGL one was annoying. I'm just testing it now for possible inclusion into Patch 1, however it really doesn't seem to look at nice as the OpenGL. The Alt-Tab capability is of course nice, but are you guys using some .ini settings to make it nicer?
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Kee715
Illuminati

Re: Direct3D9 Renderer

Post by Kee715 »

Include it for crappier comps, my old comp is quite a piece of crap, it can not even handle the OpenGL renderer :(
gothemasticator
Thug

Post by gothemasticator »

Same opinion here. I also can't run the open GL rendered, so the D3 one is helpful.

gothemasticator
JoeF5050
Mole Person

Post by JoeF5050 »

well i dont know about alt tab but the windows key gets the same job done when using opengl one
vorob
Mole Person

Post by vorob »

As i understand this mod is using some kind of upgraded open gl engine, right? And if we switch to direct 3d we will lose something in graphics?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yes, several textures will be drastically reduced in size and I believe the fog will fail to cover meshes. There are other things.

I definitely recommend giving Chris Dohnal's DX9 or DX8 renderers a chance rather than going back to the old D3D renderer :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Raistlin
Mole Person

Post by Raistlin »

You also lose the pretty reflected surfaces, like the lobby floor in the tutorial.

Sounds odd that somebody can't run OpenGL though ... it doesn't come up in the list by default. When the option comes up to select the renderer, you need to click the show all option, then select OpenGL.

Every video card in the last 10 years at least, supports OpenGL. It's quite an old API :)
vorob
Mole Person

Post by vorob »

I've got same reflection on open GL and on direct 3d, radeon 1900xt