How to remove the 64 FPS limit?

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
RPGWiZaRD
Mole Person

How to remove the 64 FPS limit?

Post by RPGWiZaRD »

The original Deus Ex didn't have such FPS limit and I'd wanna play the game in 100 FPS as I'm using a CRT with res 1280x960 @ 100Hz. How do I do this? I tried changing stuff in the TNM.ini file. Saw there's FrameRateLimit setting under opengl renderer but changing this setting made no difference. Playing FPS game like this in 64 FPS compared to 100 is a matter of almost unplayable and playable for me, not all of us have 60Hz LCDs.

Thx in advance.
stucuk
NSF

Re: How to remove the 64 FPS limit?

Post by stucuk »

How is it unplayable? I don't get that at all. FPS doesn't have to match the monitor's refresh rate. The monitors refresh rate is just how oftern the monitor is refreshing its self from the render buffer. Its compleatly seperate from the FPS. Granted VSync limits you to your monitors refresh rate, but its not going to do anything when the FPS is below the monitors refresh rate. 60 FPS is perfectly fine at any refresh rate.

Take a TV for example, its only updating its self at 25 FPS, yet it looks perfectly fine. With if fps is below monitor refresh rate, it just means the monitor will draw the same frame more than once (Which your eyes won't notice). Note: Iv played games that only run at 30 FPS on a 60Hz and it played fine, gfx looked fine, etc.
RPGWiZaRD
Mole Person

Post by RPGWiZaRD »

Well that's you, some people wanna play games with more than 60 FPS. ;) And I don't need exactly 100 FPS but I fear the game would run at way too high FPS with vsync off so.

Don't turn it into a "what FPS is enough" discussion please because there's no such specific FPS amount that will satisfy all people.

At 64 FPS it felt horribly wrong when playing Deus Ex game in 100(+) FPS before and it felt so much smoother and better.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Its got nothing to do with whats alright for me. Its a fact that getting a FPS above 30 FPS will not seem any different to just getting 30 FPS. 60 FPS will feel exactly like 100 FPS. The only time this rule doesn't apply is with very old games like CNC games where they rely on how much FPS your getting for the time (As in how fast time progresses through the game).

Monitor makes no difference at all. Your eyes don't notice any difference between 60 FPS and 100 FPS because 60 FPS is above the minimum your eyes need for things to feel smooth. As i said before, TV's only render at 25 frames per second yet it seems perfectly fine to your eyes. TV's arn't anything special.
Last edited by stucuk on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

How is a higher frame-rate going to do anything? There is a point where I stop noticing higher frame-rates, shouldst it not apply to all? After all the Human Eye only sees at 30fps and can see up to 60fps with an adrenaline rush going (I think, do not hold me to that), with that what is even the point of a frame-rate higher than you can see at?

I can not help you, sorry. I was merely questioning the logic here.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

](*,) <- Me

Just realised. Your monitor won't be refreshing at 100Hz, as DX will only be creating a window that renders at 60hz. So unlocking the FPS by disabling VSync will not make the monitor refresh faster(Not that that would make the game "Playable" for you).
RPGWiZaRD
Mole Person

Post by RPGWiZaRD »

Please stucuk don't post if you got nothing useful to say.

I only had to reply because there's so many people mistaking what FPS and Hz means and that we can't see no more than 60 FPS etc. but our eyes don't see invidual frames for starters, more like a stream and the faster the better/smoother up to a certain amount. With 60Hz LCD it won't appear smoother at 100 FPS but with pure 100Hz support it will. I've waited 5 years+ for 100/120Hz LCD monitors to appear and finally they are, I get so upset when people start with this BS your eyes can't see more than 60 FPS. That myth was busted long time ago, it may appear smooth enough for most people but that doesn't mean you don't see an improvement at least up to 100Hz.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I can think of no reason why TNM would be capped at 64fps anyway: are you sure it's not a renderer thing? I mean, if you use the new renderer with original DX, do you get the same cap?

And are you SURE its a cap, and not simply the fact that TNM has maps that are vastly, vastly more complicated than anything DX ever had to offer, and thus render more slowly?
RPGWiZaRD
Mole Person

Post by RPGWiZaRD »

I tried both OpenGL and Direct3D and both have it capped at 64.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

I only had to reply because there's so many people mistaking what FPS and Hz means
1 Hz = 1 Refresh per second = 1 FPS(May not be perfectly 1-1 ratio but its close enough). At least when it comes to monitors.
Please stucuk don't post if you got nothing useful to say.
Well there is nothing useful anyone can say to "Playing FPS game like this in 64 FPS compared to 100 is a matter of almost unplayable and playable for me, not all of us have 60Hz LCDs.". 60 FPS isn't unplayable, nomatter what refresh rate your monitor is on.

Anyway, as i said before, if your getting a cap of 64FPS, then you likley have VSync on. Which means the game is limiting its self to the speed at which your monitor is refreshing at. Turning VSync off would get more FPS, but the monitor would still render at 60hz. On the other hand, if as DDL suggested that you were actualy getting less than 60 FPS in some areas then that would be the problem.

Doing a rearly scientific test (Sarcasum), i downloaded FRAPS so i could get a rough FPS counter. Looking at one area on one map i got a nice 60 FPS, on another area of the same map i got 34 FPS. Its most likley that you are just getting low fps in certain areas of some maps as Monitor Refresh rates do not cause games to be unplayable.

EDIT: There is a refreshrate option on the new opengl renderer. Not that it will help.
RefreshRate - [Integer]
Can be used to request a specific refresh rate when running full screen. If set to 0, a default refresh rate is used. If this value is set to an invalid or unsupported refresh rate based on video card or monitor capabilities, the renderer will fail to initialize.
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

Kee715 wrote:How is a higher frame-rate going to do anything? There is a point where I stop noticing higher frame-rates, shouldst it not apply to all? After all the Human Eye only sees at 30fps and can see up to 60fps with an adrenaline rush going (I think, do not hold me to that), with that what is even the point of a frame-rate higher than you can see at?

I can not help you, sorry. I was merely questioning the logic here.
I can tell the difference between 30 and 40 without an adrenaline rush... Spin around in a circle in something like oblivion or some other game with a bright colorscape. You can tell if it looks smooth or not.

To the OP: Are you sure Deus Ex isn't changing your refresh rate to 65 hz or something when it is running? It had to set the RefreshRate= in my ini so it wouldn't change it to 60... Ugh.

(And for some reason the display LOOKS different with different refresh rates on this monitor!)
RPGWiZaRD
Mole Person

Post by RPGWiZaRD »

stucuk> Let me tell you I'm a hardware freak and overclocker that keeps reading hardware news in XtremeSystems every day so these suggestions like "do you have vsync on" or "is your computer just not fast enough" aren't very helpful. Not to mention I already mentioned I use 1280x960 @ 100Hz so I doubt it would limit at exactly 64 FPS and I could easily tell if it's running at 64 or 100 and also refresh rate is set to 100 in the ini file. What I'm looking for is what ini settings or console commands or such would remove the 64 FPS cap if it's even possible for this mod, a shame if it isn't as I liked Deus Ex so much and this mod is amazing otherwise according to friends. Maybe it's not unplayable but it would be a lot better if being able to remove it and enjoy it the way FPS games are meant to be played.

Yes the monitor shows it's running at 100Hz ingame and I also forced refresh rate of 100Hz with a software and it's constantly 64 FPS, never more or less.

EDIT: Perhaps it's worth a try to reinstall game and not install the updated OpenGL renderer.
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

While I'm incredibly dubious as to whether or not a framerate increase is actually something with a noticable impact on gameplay, here's what I can tell you:
Nothing in the TNM code explicitly states that the game can run at a maximum of 64 FPS
The only two components of TNM that are even remotely likely to cause such an issue are the opengl renderer which you've apparently ruled out, and potentially the custom launcher courtesy of Hanfling -- if you'd like, you can back up TNM.exe and replace it with a copy of DeusEx.exe and see if it works subsequent to that, if that has no effect then I'm not sure what to tell you, there's certainly no TNM code that specifies a frame rate limit that I can see.
NVShacker
Are you still there?
RPGWiZaRD
Mole Person

Post by RPGWiZaRD »

Well I did a reinstall of Deus Ex to be sure and when I fire it up it runs it at 750 FPS in the menu and 400 - 1000 fps ingame as opposed to 64.

Gonna try install the mod without the extra renderer files this time.

EDIT: Nope when I install TNM -> 64 fps cap.
Last edited by RPGWiZaRD on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If you changed the renderer in the .ini, you'll no longer be using its settings.

Did you try the .exe change Nick suggested?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine