Game Freezes

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Game Freezes

Post by Jonas »

Supplementary question: You guys aren't using Shifter, right? Just need to make sure.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I know that I am not using Shifter ( :( ), is there hope for a Shifter-compatible release?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yes, Yuki's working on it, but you should play TNM vanilla first anyway ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Sergeant Kelly
Thug

Post by Sergeant Kelly »

I used the advanced install, so it shouldn't be affecting TNM. I also restored these as well.

Actually wait, I still have the ability to spawn ammo10mmex. I think my .ini is still calling the Shifter files. Give me a second to revert to the originals and I'll try it again Shifter-free. I was wondering why I was getting broken vials of both Zyme and Crystal Melk. 8-[

Edit: Alright, restored the files and tried it out again. It works now. :) Either the patch or the removal of Shifter fixed it.
If it was Shifter, sorry about the false alarm.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jonas wrote:Yes, Yuki's working on it
Yay!! :D
Jonas wrote:you should play TNM vanilla first anyway ;)
Makes sense to me.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Jonas wrote:
kahdeksan wrote:Happens when I do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqiDhLHe454
Proposed solution: Don't.
But.... I got that too without doing any weird ass shit. :cry:
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Not using Shifter.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Got 2 freezes inside ABI(the map with breadfan) Probably more patrol route stuff seeing as how I moved around fine after killing everyone and in my first playthrough I never got this freeze because pretty much as soon as I entered they all came running to kill me.... I tried waiting for a crash message, and I think I got one but the Game was blocking it out. All I could see was my mouse crusuor on top of the frozen game. After control alt deleting to get rid of it the re was no error message.

Oh, and not using Shifter. (I tried when I first got TNM but it always crashed before even starting.)
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

JC_Helios wrote:
eenter wrote:Similar thing happens to me at the ABI, the game freezes up after some time.

Here's the error message:

I can confirm this. In ABI on my 2nd playthrough now, used killall tnmdoberman, mucked around a bit, no freezes... even after re programing the bots and stuff like before.
I just got the same one as well.
Stefan
Thug

Post by Stefan »

I am not using Shifter either. Good job locating the bug and I'm glad it will be fixed in 1.0.2. :)
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

At the Space Station.
Attachments
sstation.jpg
NatVac
Thug

Re: Game exits with Runaway Loop message

Post by NatVac »

For the "Runaway loop" problem, I suggest using this workaround:

Note the very first word in the error message. For you, odawali, it's "alien". For eenter and JC_Helios it was "TNMDoberman". For others it might be something else.

Run the game with the "-hax0r" option in the command line ("Target" line) of the shortcut. This is the default in the current 1.0 and 1.0.1 releases; it shows "- Cheats Enabled -" on the save/load windows for save games. It may not be the default for future releases.

Load the problematic save and immediately pause the game before it crashes.

Bring up the console by pressing the tilde (~) key.

Type "killall" followed by a space, followed by the first word in the error message. Examples:

killall TNMDoberman
killall alien

Press the Enter key to execute the command. Then press the tilde key again to remove the console. You can now unpause the game and play. All members of that class of NPC currently in existence on that level are now dead.

I don't know if this will work on movers. My guess is probably not, since they are not "alive".
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Except there's only 4 dobermans in ABI.... In his map almost every npc is an alien 1 or 2 of which are might be important.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I don't know what the hell is up with all these pathing errors.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

JC_Helios wrote:Except there's only 4 dobermans in ABI.... In his map almost every npc is an alien 1 or 2 of which are might be important.
Missing out on a couple of overheard conversations is better than missing out on the entire rest of the game. (Most probably do miss these conversations, anyway, unless they favor a very stealthy gameplay style.)

I think there is only one alien you must talk to, and that happens right away as you first enter one of the four levels. At that time I think the possibility of the runaway iteration is unlikely -- this usually happens when the NPCs go into seek mode, off their normal paths. Perhaps they just can't find their way back to their original path or just can't determine a path to you.

The killall command only affects entities on the current level. If "...04" is the level I think it is, I don't recall that level having any "important" NPCs, but I've only played through it once.

Again, this is just a workaround for now. Maybe the TNM crew can trap the runaway exception and simply kill the one NPC if he is not important.