Look at this ULTIMATE enhanced lighting in TNM!

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
foolio1990
Mole Person

Look at this ULTIMATE enhanced lighting in TNM!

Post by foolio1990 »

The problem is, is that this is not in the install in the first place :D

Tell me what you think of these pictures. Before and after shots.

1st before:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36587097@N04/3373675858/
1st after:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36587097@N04/3373674930/
2nd before:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36587097@N04/3372860301/
2nd after:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36587097@N04/3373676824/
Jcelios
MJ12

Re: Look at this ULTIMATE enhanced lighting in TNM!

Post by Jcelios »

This is from ENB right?
Well I think it has the capacity to vastly improve some aspects of Deus Ex's graphics.
I think it greatly over does it at the moment. The contrast is jacked waaaaay up and it greatly distorts the textures.
So if the settings could be fiddled with to make it look normal then maybe it would be good but at the moment I wouldn't want to use it.
foolio1990
Mole Person

Post by foolio1990 »

Jcelios wrote:This is from ENB right?
Well I think it has the capacity to vastly improve some aspects of Deus Ex's graphics.
I think it greatly over does it at the moment. The contrast is jacked waaaaay up and it greatly distorts the textures.
So if the settings could be fiddled with to make it look normal then maybe it would be good but at the moment I wouldn't want to use it.
Yes the settings can be fiddled with, and the default is WAY over exposed, but once you get to tweaking with it, you can make it pretty impressive looking.
GregP
Mole Person

Post by GregP »

foolio1990, how about posting your enbseries.ini settings then?
i5-2500K @ 4.8 GHz / Asus P8P67 Pro / 8GB DDR3-1600 / 2x7970 3GB / Audigy X-Fi / Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

I dunno, it looks very "Blegh" too me. I'm sure with some tweaking it could look ok but from what I've seen in Screenshots all the lights take on a Blue hue and it looks odd. Not to mention the contrast...
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

I've done a little poking around and the main issue seems to be the overuse and messy bump mapping.
Unfortunately all the nice lightening effects depend on the messy bump mapping so we've come to a bit of an impasse.
As Jonas pointed out in another thread separating the bump mapping and the lightening system as well as being able to define whether certain textures are bump mapped or not would greatly improve things. Unfortunately thats probably not possible. It's just the expected result of trying to shoe horn modern graphical techniques into an old game engine.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I scrounged up some screenshots, only two because it is on a different computer and I h....

Long story short I only have two, sorry.

Before:

After:

The ENB thing really loves blue light...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh dear.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Raistlin
Mole Person

Post by Raistlin »

One thing that's always bugged me about DX, is the lighting, and these After pics emphasise the problem.

The lighting just isn't calculated very well by the engine, and endless amounts of lights need to be placed to keep up an ambient light. But then you end up with patches of blackness that look really wierd (because they're near a light source), or patches of brightness (near no light source.)

The bump mapping looks good, but it makes the above issues stand out even more.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

What's worse about the light calculations for the original Unreal engine is how it treats the seams where two brushes meet, even if they're a flat surface and the textures are aligned. It's really ugly and working around it would require extending your map making time by 100x because you'd pretty much have to plan out every move in UnrealEd ahead of time so there's no visible seams.
Recent personal example:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2140/deu ... 292352.png
Talk about ugh. :P
(fixed version: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/616/deus ... 101467.png)
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Well I needed a good screenshot that wouldst not take much time, the opening is ****ING FANTASTIC with it, you have not SEEN flames in UE1 until you have used ENB correctly...

Before anyone asks I use the presets for the Nvidia GeForce 8400, which can be downloaded from Boris Vorontsov's site.

BTW, why is there a random light above the Trashcan? Is that more of the sh*t lighting bugging out?

[EDIT] Imagine how that wouldst look with the full HDTP and New Vision!

*High on the thought of AWESOME* :drugged: <3

[EDIT #2] I have made a video of the TNM menu (Without the buttons and whatnot, just the background) and am uploading it, it look AWESOME! I will edit the post when 'tis done uploading.