Can't bind to native class DXOgg.DXOgg

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
zsieg
Thug

Post by zsieg »

Finally got past the can't bind to native class tnm.tnmnative error, but now I get this when trying to run the game.(log contents at end of post)

Already installed the ogg fix, but was told by someone in the irc room that the patch was not for this error/problem.

Any ideas what I might try? I'm so close yet so far from playing tnm and it is driving me crazy.

Log: LoadMap: entry.dx
Log: Loading: Package Entry
Log: Loading: Package Title_Music
Log: Loading: Package TNM
Log: Loading: Package TNMNative
Log: Loading: Package DXOgg
Log: Loading: Package precipitation
Log: Loading: Package TNM_Core_Tex
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexDetail
Log: Loading: Package TNMSounds
Log: Loading: Package caroneelevatorset
Log: Loading: Package TNM_Misc_Tex
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Can't bind to native class DXOgg.DXOgg
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Critical: UClass::Bind
Critical: (Class DXOgg.DXOgg)
Critical: ULinkerLoad::CreateExport
Critical: (DXOgg 8786)
Critical: IndexToObject
Critical: (DXOggMusicManager 8786)
Critical: ULinkerLoad::CreateImport
Critical: (TNMOggMusicManager 6621002)
Critical: ULinkerLoad<<UObject
Critical: (LinkerLoad Transient.LinkerLoad23 6621002))
Critical: SerializeExpr
Critical: (20)
Critical: (61)
Critical: (2F)
Critical: UStruct::Serialize
Critical: (Function TNM.TNMMissionScript.PlayOutroTrack)
Critical: UFunction::Serialize
Critical: LoadObject
Critical: (Function TNM.TNMMissionScript.PlayOutroTrack 6621002==6621002/17541504 6620976 56)
Critical: ULinkerLoad::Preload
Critical: LinkProperties
Critical: UStruct::Link
Critical: UState::Link
Critical: UClass::Link
Critical: UStruct::Serialize
Critical: (Class TNM.TNMMissionScript)
Critical: UState::Serialize
Critical: UClass::Serialize
Critical: (Class TNM.TNMMissionScript)
Critical: LoadObject
Critical: (Class TNM.TNMMissionScript 6621002==6621002/17541504 123934 1361)
Critical: ULinkerLoad::Preload
Critical: PreLoadObjects
Critical: UObject::EndLoad
Critical: UObject::StaticLoadObject
Critical: (Core.Class TNM.tion TNM.TNMMissionScript.DoInitialCount NULL)
Critical: UObject::StaticLoadClass
Critical: InitGameInfo
Critical: UGameEngine::LoadMap
Critical: UGameEngine::Init
Critical: XGameEngineExt::Init
Critical: DDeusExGameEngine::Init
Critical: InitEngine
Exit: Exiting.
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Can't bind to native class DXOgg.DXOgg

Post by Jim »

If you're getting that error it means it's not finding the file at all, or the dll isn't loading. You said you downloaded the latest version of it, right? You placed it in DeusEx\System, not in the TNM\System, right? Something definitely weird going on.

Also, try to post all the other installation problems you had said you'd been having so we can get a better idea of what's going on.

And wake up in IRC! I've been trying to talk to you but you're AFK. :)

[Just a heads up to jonas/tres-tonk before I get called tomorrow because dxogg is in the title - this guy actually showed up in #dxe for awhile and we talked a bit, and he can't seem to get the game installed at all. I have no clue what's going on, if it's something he's doing wrong, something wrong with his deus ex installation, or if it's installing correctly at all for him. I told him to post here with his installation problems seeing as this is something you guys would know more about than I]
I exist within the power lines...for some odd reason.
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

Also, make sure you have the C++ redistributable stuff downloaded. Not sure why the DLL wouldn't load (assuming it is present), but this could be a reason. I know that some people were having problems with the native classes and such; Jonas posted about it on this thread:

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... =32&t=1688
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

I'm back to it being an installation issue; zsieg mentioned using Windows ME. There are certain flags in installers one can set (or may be assumed) to define the supported OSes. Some installers no longer support non-NT Windows (i.e., Win9x).

And there's definitely a line in the VC++ redistributable's install log that implies it will not run on Win9x, the family of Windows that includes Windows ME.

Edit: I'm misspelling names. Corrected here and below...
Last edited by NatVac on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

I didn't know he was running windows ME. Are you saying the mod doesn't run on windows ME or something? (That would be a major bummer if true, but I'm still somewhat doubtful of that at this point.)
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

Well, I'm just saying what the redistributable's log says. That log goes on to say that it is running system checks, one of which is "Not runing on 9x check" (sic). Look for the logs in your temp file directory, zsieg -- they start with "dd_vcredist". The one I examined is the short one starting with "dd_vcredistUI". It will likely indicate that it failed on your PC.

But there's a possibility that one can change the installer setting to support Win9X. Why else is that flag there? It may be that one could use a command line switch for the redistributable, since it is an MSI install module. (Caution: this is an installer setting. What is being installed has its own rules; see note at end.)

From the MSI installer's Command Line Options web page:

msiexec /i A:\Example.msi PROPERTY=VALUE

I know that the redistributable executable is a wrapped version of vc_red.msi, but I don't know if you could run msiexec on it. I believe it is possible for one to extract the .msi file from the executable, but I don't know the particulars and it might be that some wrapped versions are locked (encrypted to prevent extraction).

If it isn't locked, one could extract the .msi file and then try this, assuming the executable is in C:\:

msiexec /i C:\vc_red.msi SupportWin9x=1

Nota Bene: I suspect that if the Microsoft Visual C++ developers don't want the redistributable runtime package installed on Win9x, it won't work on Win9x. It may depend on registry settings and permissions policies that are not available on non-NT systems. Are manifest files backward-compatible with Win9x?
Last edited by NatVac on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I know people have got it working on Win 98.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Why does the OGG DLL need C++ redistributable stuff? I fail to see why it would need to use pre-made components.
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

Jonas wrote:I know people have got it working on Win 98.
Then they did it without that VC++ redistributable support. Perhaps there's support already in the OS, and the redistributable is only needed for later systems. That bothers me; if it isn't needed for Win98, why is it needed at all? Edit: Heh, apparently I'm not the only one wondering...

If it indeed can run on Win98*, one possibility relates to the vastly-increased overhead of Windows ME. There's a 64-Kbyte block of memory reserved for window object resources in 9x systems, and ME takes a much larger chunk of this space than its predecessors even when there is no other program running. This limits the ability to populate program windows with buttons, list boxes and the like.

In that case, one could try shutting down all unnecessary background tasks to free up resource space.

I'd still like to see what the log reported for the Windows ME install of the VC++ redistributable.

Of course, folks not having problems tend not to say so. If any reader is running TNM under Win9x successfully, I'd like to hear about it.
zsieg
Thug

Post by zsieg »

there is mention of DXOggMusicManager and tnmOggMusicManager, yet I can't find any files like this in any of my deusex or tnm folders? Am I missing something?

edit: also wanted to clarify that while some seem to think I'm having problems installing the game, that is not the case. It in fact installs fine, I get these errors when trying to run tnm shortcut on my desktop.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DXOggMusicManager and tnmOggMusicManager are code classes in the .u packages.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

zsieg wrote:there is mention of DXOggMusicManager and tnmOggMusicManager, yet I can't find any files like this in any of my deusex or tnm folders? Am I missing something?
Yes, if it were installed and configured properly, you wouldn't see "mention of DXOggMusicManager and tnmOggMusicManager". They follow the "Critical: Can't bind to native class DXOgg.DXOgg" That's like saying the GPS unit cannot find a specific street address after it already told you it cannot find the corresponding street (DXOgg).
zsieg wrote:edit: also wanted to clarify that while some seem to think I'm having problems installing the game, that is not the case. It in fact installs fine, I get these errors when trying to run tnm shortcut on my desktop.
I don't think you had problems installing the game. I think you had problems installing the VC++ runtime support.

The install of TNM 1.0 is separate from the install of the VC++ redistributable runtime support package. The Visual C++ runtime support is needed for some of those who see the "Can't bind to ..." error -- which included you. You managed to get past the initial "Can't bind to" problems, but you didn't say what you did.

I assume you installed patch 1.0.1 to fix the initial problem. Did you get the VC++ redistributable installation dialog at all?

There are at least two parts to the installation of the TNM 1.0.1 patch: The mod update install, which patches the mod, and the VC++ redistributable install, which provides interface support for the DXOgg.dll (perhaps among other things). It is a separate executable, and it has its own dialog, normally -- although this situation isn't "normal".

I said this:
NatVac wrote:Look for the logs in your temp file directory, zsieg -- they start with "dd_vcredist". The one I examined is the short one starting with "dd_vcredistUI". It will likely indicate that it failed on your PC.
And this:
NatVac wrote:I'd still like to see what the log reported for the Windows ME install of the VC++ redistributable.
If necessary, you can run the VC++ redistributable installer again and see what it reports. And please examine the logs for the install. The log whose name starts with "dd_vcredistUI" is the one I want to see.

Don't go by your perception; go by the facts. Software can fail silently. But we won't know until you report what was in your log.
zsieg
Thug

Post by zsieg »

edit: are you saying that the mod patch installs the vc++ redistributable(or that it is supposed to)?

Actually I got past my original problem by using someones tnm.ini file they sent me on irc(Thanks Jim!), ,and I then got the "spawn npc/class error" that was fixed by uninstalling shifter.

I don't think VC++ redistributable(2005 ver.) installed properly, so I attempted to reinstall and it says extracting blah blah, followed by preparing to install... and then it simply closes. Doesn't give an error or say my os isn't supported(like the 2008 ver. of the file), it just closes. On the microsoft page it says to use msi ver.3.0, but when I try and install it I get a "os not supported msg". Attempted to install msi 2.0 but I get a "file already present msg".

Also, I thought I read jonas say that the redistributable wasn't needed to run the game, only that some people had problems without it. If it is in fact needed I'm guessing that I'm out of luck, though hopefully there is a way around this problem.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's needed, what I probably said was that a lot of people already have it installed from other programs. But not as many as we thought.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
zsieg
Thug

Post by zsieg »

ok, well I might be out of luck.

Is there a way to tell if I have the redist installed already? Also, any idea where I might find the error log for the redist installer?