Can't bind to native class DXOgg.DXOgg

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
zsieg
Thug

Re: Can't bind to native class DXOgg.DXOgg

Post by zsieg »

Just checked and the redistributable is listed in my "add/remove programs" list, so I'm wondering if it is actually installed.

Any idea on how I could check to see if it is installed, or if windows only thinks it is?
zsieg
Thug

Post by zsieg »

Some how I didn't know directx8 was needed for dxogg.dll to run, and after installing it I no longer get the error. Problem is I get a windows error msg now that says...

"Tnm has caused an error in dxogg.dll
Tnm will now close"

Tnm.log is blank so I'm not sure what more information I can give you. So any idea's on what I might try, or where I might be able to find an error log detailing what happened?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DirectX8 is not needed to run DXOgg.dll.

Please download this and overwrite your DXOgg.dll with it:
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... php?id=102
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

Folks reported problems running TNM with the 2005 version of the VC++ redistributable. It might be worth a try to uninstall the 2005 version and try installing the 2008 version.

For the third time: the VC++ redistributable installation logs should be in your temp directory, zsieg. You might be able to find that directory by opening up Windows Explorer and typing %temp% in the address bar. Or browse to it; it might be C:\temp or C:\Windows\temp on Windows ME. See my other posts about what to look for in the logs.
zsieg
Thug

Post by zsieg »

I can't find a copy of dd_vcredist anywhere,not in my temp dir, and search comes up with nothing.

I did extract the contents of the vc++2008 exe, ran the msi file, and it seems to have installed. The only log I can find mentioning it is msievent.log and it has these lines

4/4/2009 15:25:21 (Info ) Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable -- Removal completed successfully.

4/4/2009 15:25:30 (Info ) Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022 -- Removal completed successfully.

4/4/2009 15:25:56 (Info ) Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022 -- Installation completed successfully.

also tried that chocbo ogg file and still get the same error.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jim just informed me that in fact DirectX8 is needed to run the DXOgg player. So uh, sorry about that.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

From the Microsoft download page for Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86):
System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP
These are only NT-class OSes, version 5.0 (Windows 2000 -- and it needs SP4) or later.

It's an external program (MSI) that is saying the package installed correctly. But it probably just means that no error message was generated by the package -- or that the MSI 2.0 installer doesn't understand the newer failure codes. Maybe that's why 1) the package requires MSI 3.0, and 2) MSI 3.0 is NOT supported by your OS.

The fact that you can't find any dd_vcredist*.txt files is not good.

Another check: The Windows directory will have a subdirectory called WinSxS (for "side by side" assemblies), and it will contain several subdirectories beginning with x86_Microsoft.VC90. It will also have a Manifests subdirectory. The XML-based manifests provide a program with special info relating to custom attributes or the location of certain files -- in this case, that's the support DLLs supplied with the redistributable.

Unfortunately, Win9x doesn't support manifest files. The idea behind the WinSxS subdirectory as a common repository is supposed to be an alternative to manifest files, but I get the idea from the info at the MS website* that the files are also copied to System32 for Win9x. It might also be possible to copy those support DLL files to the executable's directory to get it to work.

The installer's silence is deafening.

*See the note and the warning at this Microsoft support page: Visual C++ Libraries as Shared Side-by-Side Assemblies. (This is for the 2005 release; there's also a link to the 2008 release but it's the same text -- just the file versions have changed.) The warning implies that none of this is going to work on Windows ME.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Fair enough, I guess TNM isn't Windows 98 compatible then. Sorry about that :(
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
zoya4eva
Thug

Post by zoya4eva »

Hello people,
I've been reading up on that bloody C+++ library and I found an interesting article.....
http://kobyk.wordpress.com/2007/07/20/d ... al-c-2005/

Although, there has been some interesting suggestions by some smart people in this topic..

As I have heard before #-o and didn't want to listen at the time, TNM needs the 2008 version of C+++ and therefore will not run on win98se nor ME (I'm pretty sure). :cry:
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

zoya4eva wrote:As I have heard before #-o and didn't want to listen at the time, TNM needs the 2008 version of C+++ and therefore will not run on win98se nor ME (I'm pretty sure). :cry:
However, this is just a dependancy added compiletime. If the code itself does not depend on 2008 runtime (and I think it doesn't) it could be either recompiled using VS2005, which runtime IS supported on 98, or statically linked (which Jim did with dxogg.dll, I believe).

I do have the different visual studios available, however, I do not (yet?) have access to the code, so right now I can't check it out :(
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
zoya4eva
Thug

Post by zoya4eva »

Hi all, just thought I'd share my findings with the vdredist problem
I found this, which is for the developers to look at . It's way beyond me. !
Legacy Extender for Visual Studio 2005/2008
http://www.legacyextender.com/

Someone may be interested in this group -
http://groups.google.com/group/Visual-S ... fe3eb6ef5/

and -
http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/i ... 12283.html

Cheers. ;)