Bug: Cloak doesn't work

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
dataangel
Mole Person

Bug: Cloak doesn't work

Post by dataangel »

So I got the cloak mod from level 3 of WorldCorp. And it doesn't seem to actually work. Enemies still know exactly where I am and are able to shoot me. The only time it did work was for sneaking past the greasels in their cages on the same floor, not sure why they were sensitive to it but human enemies aren't. Bug or is there some limitation on it I'm not aware of? The description just says it uses less power with level, so the fact that it's level 1 shouldn't be letting them see me....
odawali
UNATCO

Re: Bug: Cloak doesn't work

Post by odawali »

I ran into the same thing but my guess is the enemies who can see you have augmented vision. I don't yet have the targeting aug so I haven't confirmed this.
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

Are you walking around, or crouching? Do you have a move silent aug also active, or not? In regular Deus Ex, at least, enemies could still hear you even if they couldn't see you.

You may notice if you hit Kylie in Sol's bar without killing her, she has a cloak aug, but it doesn't make her invisible either - it only makes her somewhat mostly-transparent. Whether that's due to you being augmented, or the cloak aug being nerfed, is anybody's guess.

(I installed the radar transparency aug myself... and then pretty much never used it)
Daggsy
NSF

Post by Daggsy »

Think of cloak like hiding behind something. If someone already knows you're there then you hide behind something, they'll just look there and find you.
If they aren't already looking for you, you should be pretty much safe to sneak by (or surprise attack) if you turn cloak on before starting. They'll even wonder where the noises are coming from if you make a lot of sound near them. Also, the cloak has absolutely no effect on bots or cameras. Not sure if those spotting you would alert guards as well...

But... yeah. It definitely works. Cloak and a hefty melee weapon is a good combination for ending most battles before they start.
Ignore anything I just said, I got killed by a foldaway counter in a Downtown coffee shop.
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

It's not just noise or already being alerted. In the WC mission to get the news script from DXO HQ, try sneaking past Compudoc cloaked. He sees through the cloak 10 out of 10 times.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Have you shot at him, or allowed him to see or hear you at any point?
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

npcs with the vision aug can see the player even if he is cloaked (the same is true of shadows and probably walls). Other than that the cloak should be unaffected. However I notice in the deus ex code that, as above posts have suggested, the ai will only ignore a cloaked enemy if they are not the current target of the ai. So if an npc starts attacking you you can expect him to continue attacking even if you cloak.

If you're still getting anomalous behavior then I'm not sure why
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

I think it's OK the way it is, makes perfect sense since you're fighting augmented enemies. I guess that gives Radar Transparency an edge though, since that one's guaranteed to work on all bots, cameras and turrets. With Cloak you never know when someone with Vision might spot you. If you're going to deal with that uncertainty, might as well sneak around by conventional methods. It'd be nice if high levels of Cloak were undetectable on lower levels of Vision.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Regular enemies (rent-a-cops, thugs, firewalls, cult warriors, etc.) will never have vision enhancement, and very few augmented enemies do.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
kyrieee
Thug

Post by kyrieee »

odawali wrote:I think it's OK the way it is, makes perfect sense since you're fighting augmented enemies. I guess that gives Radar Transparency an edge though, since that one's guaranteed to work on all bots, cameras and turrets. With Cloak you never know when someone with Vision might spot you. If you're going to deal with that uncertainty, might as well sneak around by conventional methods. It'd be nice if high levels of Cloak were undetectable on lower levels of Vision.
Well, it guaranteed to work
If you move slowly enough
If you keep them at a distance
If you don't make any sounds

etc. :P it's still really useful though. You rarely have to fight bots if you have it
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I just checked, and Compudoc has Vision Enhancement.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

kyrieee wrote:
odawali wrote:I think it's OK the way it is, makes perfect sense since you're fighting augmented enemies. I guess that gives Radar Transparency an edge though, since that one's guaranteed to work on all bots, cameras and turrets. With Cloak you never know when someone with Vision might spot you. If you're going to deal with that uncertainty, might as well sneak around by conventional methods. It'd be nice if high levels of Cloak were undetectable on lower levels of Vision.
Well, it guaranteed to work
If you move slowly enough
If you keep them at a distance
If you don't make any sounds

etc. :P it's still really useful though. You rarely have to fight bots if you have it
Last I checked bots didn't hear noise. unless you were talking about cloak?
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

They probably do hear noise though they probably shouldn't.

Also: the way I set up the ai augs I'm pretty sure they're binary. Either they have them or they don't. They dont have levels per se.