Shifter + TNM: Status

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Shifter + TNM: Status

Post by Jonas »

The problem is it'll kinda break your inventory if you have both an original version and a TNM version of the same weapon.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Exactly. With the PS20 I wasn't too worried, since it's... well a PS20, arguably disposable, but the others could cause issues. Confusion at the very least. Breaking the inventory isn't as much of an issue fortunately, since I disabled the Unreal weapon switch code that caused so many of the issues with like-named weapons, etc. (The old "can't switch weapons until you drop one" bug.)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

As far as I know that's actually due to the inventory group number of the weapon, not their names.

But you're the coder, maybe I got it wrong :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Yeah I picked up an "old" pepper spray a while ago and really haven't wanted to chuck it because it's unlikely I'll get another one later. Sure its uses are limited, but at least it's better than the TNM/Normal one.

Some of the TNM animals don't seem to take after Shifter's "animal carcass" name change. For one I punched out a red greasel and it said "Animal carcass" rather than "unconscious" .

I've played on horde difficulty at least twice before, yet this is the first time I've entered the WC sub-level to find: 1 millitary bot, 4 small security bots, and 4 medium security bots.(This is in comparison to: 0 military bots, 3 small security bots, and 2 medium sec bots.)

Suggestion: Could you add the toxin blade to Slicer's office if you saved him and gave him your combat knife? He says he'll give you back your knife but he never does... At least this way he would actually be keeping his word, and even improved it for you. Just a thought...
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

RE: that suggestion...That would kinda require recoding TNM for shifter, rather than shifter for TNM.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

I figured that might be the case, but I thought maybe he could do it in some hacky slash way. I do recall a guy using Smuggler's model in Redsun202 having the Jackhammer on him when I killed him. (I'm pretty sure Yuki didn't do that intentionally though.)
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Jonas wrote:As far as I know that's actually due to the inventory group number of the weapon, not their names.

But you're the coder, maybe I got it wrong :P
We're both right. InventoryGroup was the property that would make the game go all wonky trying to switch weapons, because the old Unreal code would essentially get stuck in a no-op loop within the same InventoryGroup and the current weapon would get "stuck". The minute I removed the references to the Unreal code and substituted three lines of replacement code the InventoryGroup problem became nonexistent. In fact, in Shifter now nothing actually cares about the InventoryGroup variable. At all.

EDIT: Oh I see, I see what you were getting at. Yes, I misspoke, I meant like-NUMBERED items, though I wouldn't put it past the old Unreal code to mess up with like-named items.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We've been having a lot of issues with items appearing multiple times in your inventory if NPC's give them to you and you have no room, like Kunio's bug where augmentation upgrade canisters appear behind other items. I was thinking about asking Nick or Shane to fix the old inventory stacking exploit, but didn't you do that in Shifter? Do you think implementing your inventory fix(es?) in TNM would solve the problems we've been having with items appearing multiple times behind other items?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Jonas wrote:We've been having a lot of issues with items appearing multiple times in your inventory if NPC's give them to you and you have no room, like Kunio's bug where augmentation upgrade canisters appear behind other items. I was thinking about asking Nick or Shane to fix the old inventory stacking exploit, but didn't you do that in Shifter? Do you think implementing your inventory fix(es?) in TNM would solve the problems we've been having with items appearing multiple times behind other items?
Yes, they would for the most part. Frustratingly after my fix there are STILL times where an item can appear behind another item, but it's only one-slot items and ONLY the first (upper-left) slot, and only when your inventory is closed (so you can't do it on purpose, basically). Now I say that's still a bug because I can't remember if I fixed that issue or not yet. What I'm sure of is that in Shifter you cannot do inventory stacking unless cheats are enabled. As for how I did it... can't remember the specifics offhand, but essentially I just made sure that the position of an item in inventory isn't updated until you RELEASE the mouse button. (Plus some other nuances) You're welcome to lift directly from my code if I don't get around to finding the bugfix section first.

As for the InventoryGroup issue, in DeusExPlayer there's a function called "UpdateInHand". Towards the bottom it calls a function named "SwitchWeapon" (which is from the Unreal-based Player parent class) and passes it the InventoryGroup variable. If you look at the code, essentially what the function does is cycles through every weapon you have, looking for one that matches that InventoryGroup, and puts the first match in your hand. Nevermind the fact that earlier in the UpdateInHand function it's ALREADY identified what weapon (or item) should be in your hand. Really bad code. To fix it, just take out the reference to it and replace it with code that does the "put in hand" part (there's some in Shifter, obviously, which you're welcome to copy as needed).

Actually, if there's anything that's in Shifter that you'd like to put in TNM you're welcome to copy it/adapt it/whatever.

Oh yes, as an interesting sidenote, removing references to SwitchWeapon (plus some other code tweaking) allows Deus Ex to handle you having multiple copies of the same weapon in your inventory. There's not much point except for the PS20 and LAW, but if DX had a system more like IW where a weapon could only be modded so much this would be a nice addition.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

I can verify that Shifter with cheats off (The inventory exploit is still possible when cheats are active for.... you know, cheaters) does fix the Kunio Aug upgrade bug.

As far as I can tell micro muscle does not increase the damage for fists as it should. Combat Strength in normal TNM does.

Don't forget to make the grenades cycle-able too.
BoneofMalkav
Thug

Post by BoneofMalkav »

Y|yukichigai wrote:
Jonas wrote:We've been having a lot of issues with items appearing multiple times in your inventory if NPC's give them to you and you have no room, like Kunio's bug where augmentation upgrade canisters appear behind other items. I was thinking about asking Nick or Shane to fix the old inventory stacking exploit, but didn't you do that in Shifter? Do you think implementing your inventory fix(es?) in TNM would solve the problems we've been having with items appearing multiple times behind other items?
Yes, they would for the most part. Frustratingly after my fix there are STILL times where an item can appear behind another item, but it's only one-slot items and ONLY the first (upper-left) slot, and only when your inventory is closed (so you can't do it on purpose, basically). Now I say that's still a bug because I can't remember if I fixed that issue or not yet. What I'm sure of is that in Shifter you cannot do inventory stacking unless cheats are enabled. As for how I did it... can't remember the specifics offhand, but essentially I just made sure that the position of an item in inventory isn't updated until you RELEASE the mouse button. (Plus some other nuances) You're welcome to lift directly from my code if I don't get around to finding the bugfix section first.

As for the InventoryGroup issue, in DeusExPlayer there's a function called "UpdateInHand". Towards the bottom it calls a function named "SwitchWeapon" (which is from the Unreal-based Player parent class) and passes it the InventoryGroup variable. If you look at the code, essentially what the function does is cycles through every weapon you have, looking for one that matches that InventoryGroup, and puts the first match in your hand. Nevermind the fact that earlier in the UpdateInHand function it's ALREADY identified what weapon (or item) should be in your hand. Really bad code. To fix it, just take out the reference to it and replace it with code that does the "put in hand" part (there's some in Shifter, obviously, which you're welcome to copy as needed).

Actually, if there's anything that's in Shifter that you'd like to put in TNM you're welcome to copy it/adapt it/whatever.

Oh yes, as an interesting sidenote, removing references to SwitchWeapon (plus some other code tweaking) allows Deus Ex to handle you having multiple copies of the same weapon in your inventory. There's not much point except for the PS20 and LAW, but if DX had a system more like IW where a weapon could only be modded so much this would be a nice addition.
Your right,I think most of the blame goes to epic for the inventory over stacking bug cause they've always been known for sloppy coding jobs (Just look at UT3 Pre Titan Pack....AWWWW SMACK!BRINGING IT HOME!) Unreal has always had funny little bugs due to it's own code being confused about itself (put a corpse on a lift,get on lift,watch the gibs fly with you as you go up or down.)
Existence is overshadowing.Severance is forbearing. Difference is continuous. Self Destruction is imminent. Pain brings dreams to closure. Death brings Life to those unchanged by the Hues of Madness
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Y|yukichigai can you pm me your preferred contact info (preferably msn) so we can talk about integration of features.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Since Felix's 1.0.2 video has pistol sounds, it seems this is likely caused by Shifter. Also, empty soda cans are HDTP clay pots.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

JC_Helios wrote:Since Felix's 1.0.2 video has pistol sounds, it seems this is likely caused by Shifter. Also, empty soda cans are HDTP clay pots.
Is this with my most recent source upload, or the last version I put on savefile?

The sound issue is something I'm sure I need to work on, but the HDTP issues should be resolved. At least, I sincerely hope, because otherwise I'm not sure how I'll fix the problem.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

The savefile beta, Getting the source upload is a bit too technical for me. Tried to look up how to download stuff off an SVN and couldn't find where it told me how :lol: . The sound thing also makes the stealth pistol, and Pumpgun silent. I haven't been playing much, so I'm not sure what else.