New Critical Error prevents stating TNM

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
MICROSHAFT
Thug

New Critical Error prevents stating TNM

Post by MICROSHAFT »

There is already one thread on this board about a function that can't be found, but this missing function error is slightly different.

I was getting the error in that thread, but that was because, like the topic creator, I had Shifter installed. Since then I unstalled Deus Ex. Did a complete wipe, even removed the folder from my computer.

Now when I try to start the game, I get a critical error with this nonsense: Can't find function in file Function DeusEx.DeusExWeapon.PreBeginPlay

followed by a few lines of crap.

I've tried both running the original version of TNM and the patched version with the new fix, etc. Nothing works, same failure each time. Have done two complete wipes/reinstalls of DE along with TNM. I don't have shifter anywhere on my computer, so I don't know why it keeps giving this error.

The DE I am using is the GOTY edition with the 112 patch installed.

Any ideas?
Illumonic
Thug

Re: New Critical Error prevents stating TNM

Post by Illumonic »

The patch on here might help, since it says the error you got.
http://www.carone1.de/HotelCarone/HCHelp.htm
DXI Chat log
[_wraith] Any thought of incorporting ancient mysteries into the plot such as pyramids, Machu Pichu, legend of the 13 Crystal Skulls?
[Witchboy] wraith, we touch on the knights templar
[MISMonkey] You touched him where?
[Scott_M] echo... echo... echo...
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Huh, I'm way overdue in discovering a fix for this one, but I believe Carone found a solution here: http://www.carone1.de/HotelCarone/HCHelp.htm
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Illumonic
Thug

Post by Illumonic »

Trestkon wrote:Huh, I'm way overdue in discovering a fix for this one, but I believe Carone found a solution here: http://www.carone1.de/HotelCarone/HCHelp.htm
LOL, your reply is too late Trestkon, and besides read my reply before yours.
DXI Chat log
[_wraith] Any thought of incorporting ancient mysteries into the plot such as pyramids, Machu Pichu, legend of the 13 Crystal Skulls?
[Witchboy] wraith, we touch on the knights templar
[MISMonkey] You touched him where?
[Scott_M] echo... echo... echo...
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Illumonic wrote:
Trestkon wrote:Huh, I'm way overdue in discovering a fix for this one, but I believe Carone found a solution here: http://www.carone1.de/HotelCarone/HCHelp.htm
LOL, your reply is too late Trestkon, and besides read my reply before yours.
Huh, I suck :p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Whupass1
Mole Person

Post by Whupass1 »

I've had the same problem. i tried the patch mentioned, and that didn't take care it either... any more ideas? :?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Getting this error too now with TNM. Deus Ex runs fine on it's own. The "Creative Patch" looks like it's just the latest Deus Ex patch. Already had that, and their copy doesn't help.

Not a big deal yet. I'll reinstall.

Edit: still getting that after a reinstall.
"
Can't find function in file 'Function DeusEx.DeusExWeapon.PreBeginPlay'
History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- InitGameInfo <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- UGameEngine::Init <- XGameEngineExt::Init <-DDeusExGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine"
"

It's been a while since I've installed Deus Ex. I uninstall TNM and Deus Ex. I delete \DeusEx directory. I install Deus Ex, but it asks about a dozen times if it can overwrite files that are already there (?). I then install the 1112fm patch, which also asks about overwriting (eg. "File C:\DeusEx\system\DeusExCharacters.u already exists. Overwrite? Yes No Cancel"). I then start up Deus Ex, and just start the training mission successfully. I quit, and install TNM with the OpenGl renderer. I start it up and get that error above. If I start it again, it runs the Deus Ex Safe Mode thing.

I just got TNM to start up for the first time by re-running that 1112fm patch, and when it asks to overwrite that first file, I clicked cancel (I was getting the error message for this). I just added the 1.0.2 patch, and it seems to still be working. I doubt what I've added here will help anyone; this windows install is a terrible mess lately.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:I just got TNM to start up for the first time by re-running that 1112fm patch, and when it asks to overwrite that first file, I clicked cancel (I was getting the error message for this). I just added the 1.0.2 patch, and it seems to still be working. I doubt what I've added here will help anyone; this windows install is a terrible mess lately.
Generally you want to say no when the patch asks if it should overwrite.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh, ok. Weird. I have no idea why the Deus Ex installer creates new files and then asks to overwrite them. I'd never had that before. I figure it's just that Windows is broken here. The official Deus Ex patch then wants to overwrite what I believe are the same files. I actually wasn't going to report the errors, but when I found threads mentioning the ones I was getting, I chimed in. Anyway, TNM launches now, and the latest TNM patch launches as well.