How do I get Mr. _____ to ask me about his ____?

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Dark Reality
UNATCO

How do I get Mr. _____ to ask me about his ____?

Post by Dark Reality »

How do I get Mr. Clark to ask me about his wife?

I saw this on a YouTube playthrough for TNM which takes the WC side and I thought I'd follow in its footsteps. I gave the coffee to the guard outside and listened to that entire exchange, went up to level 2, waited for Mr. Clark to fire Sam, and then talked to Mr. Clark. All he said was "What are you still doing in my office?" and "I need to fire whatever secretary let you in". I'm friendly with WC having just killed Silver Dragon for Scara.

Any ideas? I'd really like that higher clearance level. I know it costs 2000 and I have the credits.

//edit: I see the "Forum rules" that say this forum is for technical assistance, not gameplay help. While my question does have to do with game play, I think it's a bug/technical issue/flag not being set, hence why I put it here, not there. Though, other than being loyal to Scara, I don't see what prerequisite would have to be met for this conversation to proceed.
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Re: How do I get Mr. _____ to ask me about his ____?

Post by Dark Reality »

Here's the workaround, copied from that thread, so it's simpler for anyone coming into *this* thread. And it worked, thanks for that.

go to WC lvl 2
legend (cheat)
invoke con
mrclark
clarkclearances
set flags

The only problem is if you use the legend cheat, it freezes the debug menu thingy, so you've gotta save, exit the game, and then come back in for it to work (and get that box out of your FOV).
BoneofMalkav
Thug

Post by BoneofMalkav »

Mr.X has to ask you about joining him before he can show you his *****

oh ____ wrong game :mrgreen:
Existence is overshadowing.Severance is forbearing. Difference is continuous. Self Destruction is imminent. Pain brings dreams to closure. Death brings Life to those unchanged by the Hues of Madness
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Or... you just need to look at the graffiti in the toilet (a 1.0.1 issue), and the option opens.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Or... you just need to look at the graffiti in the toilet (a 1.0.1 issue), and the option opens.
That's really random. Is there a clue somewhere that you need to go look in the bathrooms before you can ask him that? Are the two even connected?

And the graffiti is just that the toilets are painted gold, right? Or is there something on the wall? It's been a while since I've even been in there (my first PDX run, with 1.0.0).
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

DXNathan wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote:Or... you just need to look at the graffiti in the toilet (a 1.0.1 issue), and the option opens.
That's really random. Is there a clue somewhere that you need to go look in the bathrooms before you can ask him that? Are the two even connected?
That's why Hassat Hunter said it was an "issue". You shouldn't have to, but doing it will at least get you around the problem in 1.0.1.

And the gold toilet seats are actually part of WC's color scheme (everything in gold/yellow) I believe. There is unmistakable graffiti on the wall saying Llamas rule or something in leet speak.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The toilets aren't painted gold, they are literally made of gold because WorldCorp has THAT much money.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Jonas wrote:The toilets aren't painted gold, they are literally made of gold because WorldCorp has THAT much money.
That's what I thought.

Without making a new topic, I have kind of a stupid question: If Forum City is a virtual representation of a forum, I guess you could say that Downtown, Corporate, and Slums are like sub-forums and Goat City and DXO are private sub-forums, and PDX and WC are like sub-forums with their own sub-community (e.g. LUE on GameFAQs, FYAD on SomethingAwful). I see that... but what I don't see is this: If Scara B. King is so bad, why don't Phas and/or King Kashue drop the banhammers on him and his minions and seize control of the WC building/sub-forum as part of their lockdown? Just curious. Because if I were a moderator of a forum and a member started a cult/uprising, I'd ban his *** in a second along with everyone else loyal to him. Or at least lock their accounts until Deus Diablo was found or whatever. Because everyone who isn't a drone (e.g. WC, PDX, or generic security) is a real person IRL, including Scara, right? I mean, IRL, Scara could be a punk kid in 4th grade. (The anime, .hack//SIGN, pulled that - a character who was something of an antagonist was shown, near the end, to be just a little boy.)

But, I know that's reading too much into it and the logic shouldn't be expected to be airtight (or should it?).
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

DXO is more like a bunch of forumites that disagreed with PDX and made their own forum, but still goes to the PDX forum to protest/Ddos/whatever. (In reality though, DXO is just a different DX fan site.)

Scara, I guess Scara could be like one of those trolls that trolls people, but he does it in a "cool"/funny style which he can't be banned for. This also might allocate him some "fans", and people who support his amusing trolling(a forum's version of money/power?). Or maybe he 'donates' to the site to stop from being banned... Exploits flaws in the site to break the rules and then delete all traces? I dunno, one of those, maybe.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Well, prior to DD's abduction King hasn't really done anything directly bannable. And after DD's abduction it's irrelevant, since permabanning requires all three moderators to agree (as explained in the first convo with Phas).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DXO being terrorists was inspired by a bunch of Deus-Ex.Org forumites flocking over to the PDX forums once and spamming the crap out of the Off Topic Forum until the moderators noticed and started doing something about it. I think they did that twice, hence their role in TNM; only we tied it properly into the story of course :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Yeah, the reasoning why Scara isn't banned and such is pretty well explained throughout the game IMO.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

DXNathan wrote: The only problem is if you use the legend cheat, it freezes the debug menu thingy, so you've gotta save, exit the game, and then come back in for it to work (and get that box out of your FOV).
Nah, just hit ` (or whatever your open console key is) and then esc and it will close. ` magically unfreezes it.
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Jonas wrote:DXO being terrorists was inspired by a bunch of Deus-Ex.Org forumites flocking over to the PDX forums once and spamming the crap out of the Off Topic Forum until the moderators noticed and started doing something about it. I think they did that twice, hence their role in TNM; only we tied it properly into the story of course :)
Oh wow. That's cool as hell. Is GameFAQs represented in any way? That's where I learned half to two-thirds of what I know about Deus Ex. Not the FAQs and walkthroughs, but just talking on the board. For example, the cache in the airfield, in the terminal, opposite the pool tables... nothing in there of value, but I didn't know about it until I went up there. Also the cache with the active LAM opposite the hallway to the bathrooms in the Mole Peoples' hideout. And editing DeusEx.u - that's big. I had no idea the game could be modified past simple cheat codes until 2006. So I'd say it's important to the 'Deus Ex Community', however separate, but being as probably no popular forum has stricter rules, maybe GameFAQs guys would be like the "How do I get on the boat" and "Invisible War suxorz" noobs, except every other word is beeped out. (Or they say "This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator".) I know, I know, TNM's done except for bug-fixing patches, but that would be funny as hell.
DDL wrote:Well, prior to DD's abduction King hasn't really done anything directly bannable. And after DD's abduction it's irrelevant, since permabanning requires all three moderators to agree (as explained in the first convo with Phas).
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Although promoting Trestkon (assuming PDX path) or Evil Invasion to mod status would/should change that, unless promoting a fourth moderator would mean all four would have to agree.
Trafalgar wrote:
DXNathan wrote: The only problem is if you use the legend cheat, it freezes the debug menu thingy, so you've gotta save, exit the game, and then come back in for it to work (and get that box out of your FOV).
Nah, just hit ` (or whatever your open console key is) and then esc and it will close. ` magically unfreezes it.
I'll keep that in mind. Could have sworn I'd tried that, but if I did, it was with 1.0.0 and might not be relevant. Another thing GameFAQs taught me is that I don't have to use Say to cheat, I can just bind Type to something like Tilde and not have to backspace 3-4 times, so for 6 years I used Say anyway. Very few people aside from the devs have been playing DX longer than I have; I was just very slow to join the community online (and then, only GameFAQs, until I joined here to ask Smoke a question about his mod, sometime last year I think). I don't recall when I got it exactly, but I know I paid $60 for it, before GOTY came out, and it was in one of those big boxes PC games used to come in. I kept the box for the longest time, tacked up to my wall. Wish I still had it. I could say a lot more, but I'm getting... "Off topic", lol.