Can't use regular Darts

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Reginald
Mole Person

Can't use regular Darts

Post by Reginald »

I have 14 darts for the mini-crossbow in my inventory according to the ammo window, but the game doesn't recognize them as crossbow ammo. There's only the 4 tranq available, even if I switch ammo. If I shoot those 4 tranq darts then the UI displays 0/0.

So basically I can't use any of the regular darts. That's pretty annoying because I wanted to go for the pistol skill.

PS: Tranq darts I buy from the vending machine are recognized normally. Regular darts I pick up from the dart board upstairs go straight into my inventory, but aren't recognized as crossbow ammo
Reginald
Mole Person

Re: Can't use regular Darts

Post by Reginald »

Is possible that I'm utterly mistaken and the darts are for a dart gun rather for the mini-crossbow? That would explain this behavior, but that wouldn't be very Deus Ex-like.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

GEP gun Ammo, and Crossbow ammo is a bit bugged in TNM right now. Should be fixed in 1.02 . Maybe try dropping your current crossbow and finding a new one?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Essentially, you can fire any and all of the dart types listed.

You only use ammo for one of them, however (so flare darts and normal darts are all taken from your tranq dart ammo pool). This is because something added to streamline inventory code inadvertantly fucked up something else, because DX inventory code was developed by monkeys with brain tumours.

Since cheats are on by default, just type

summon ammoDartPoison

a few times.
Reginald
Mole Person

Post by Reginald »

DDL wrote:You only use ammo for one of them, however (so flare darts and normal darts are all taken from your tranq dart ammo pool).
Actually, that's not the case with me. If I click on my crossbow then the ammo pool looks like this: 8 Tranq, 16 Dart, 16 Flare. If I click on the Ammo icon and check my darts manually the actual numbers are like this: 8 tranqs, 25 darts and 16 flares. I picked up a fresh crossbow at the weapon shop but it behaves the same way.

Now for some field tests: If I shoot the tranqs then only the tranq pool goes down. If I pick up some tranqs then only the tranq pool goes up.

If I shoot the flares then the flare and the dart pool goes down. If I pick up flares then the flare and dart pool goes up.

If I shoot darts then the darts and flare pool go down. If I pick up darts then nothing happens in any of the 3 pools. If I check the ammo manually then the darts are accounted for. They just aren't recognized as crossbow ammo :sigh:

I realize that intention behind beeing able to mix up the different darts ... but the old crossbow system from Deus Ex worked better for me :/
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Reginald wrote:I realize that intention behind beeing able to mix up the different darts ... but the old crossbow system from Deus Ex worked better for me :/
There was no intention, it was meant to be a change to the code structure, not to the functionality. In other words it's a bug, and it's been fixed, and the fix will be in version 1.0.2.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Reginald wrote: Actually, that's not the case with me. If I click on my crossbow then the ammo pool looks like this: 8 Tranq, 16 Dart, 16 Flare. If I click on the Ammo icon and check my darts manually the actual numbers are like this: 8 tranqs, 25 darts and 16 flares. I picked up a fresh crossbow at the weapon shop but it behaves the same way.

Now for some field tests: If I shoot the tranqs then only the tranq pool goes down. If I pick up some tranqs then only the tranq pool goes up.

If I shoot the flares then the flare and the dart pool goes down. If I pick up flares then the flare and dart pool goes up.

If I shoot darts then the darts and flare pool go down. If I pick up darts then nothing happens in any of the 3 pools. If I check the ammo manually then the darts are accounted for. They just aren't recognized as crossbow ammo :sigh:
Ok, to clarify: the functions employed when looking up which ammo to use, and those employed when looking up which ammo to display counts of (or which fricking icon to use, even) are all different.

What's happening here is, in your ammo display (without clicking on the ammo button), look for tranq: tranq found, 8 in inventory. Look for darts or flare darts, find flare darts first and thus stop looking (bug), thus return number of flare darts for both. Look for icons separately, so it all looks ok, icon wise.

Click on the actual ammo button, separate method, display actual values of the various ammo amounts.

Fire darts? If tranq, find tranq ammo, use tranq ammo. Fire flare or normal? Look for darts or flare darts, find flare darts first and thus stop looking (bug), use flare darts.

In other words, ammodart is never getting used. Yes, this is a bug. And one we've fixed, so next patch ahoy! :)
Reginald
Mole Person

Post by Reginald »

Awesome, thanks for the fast and detailed replies. Looking forward to the next update! Keep up the good work :)

PS: Hope those monkeys get better soon.