Patch 1.0.2

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Pandarsenic
Thug

Re: Patch 1.0.2

Post by Pandarsenic »

So I just went into Despot's apartment before I've even chosen my alignment. Narcissus began taunting me about how Trestkon has a player who is using meta-knowledge.

So I talked to Despot three times, and I've just offered him a DXO news script I don't have.

I don't know what to make of this, really.
Pandarsenic
Thug

Post by Pandarsenic »

Update: Visited Scara King.

I now have the Kll Phasmatis Quest and the save Silver Dragon quest at the same time.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I tried 640x480 and was getting the same thing.
640x480 was probably the worst you could choose, given that at that size the text is as large as it gets.

Try something just below 1280x1024 or similar.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Pandarsenic wrote: I don't know what to make of this, really.
"I've intentionally tried to break the game using metaknowledge, and now the game appears broken?"

...surely that's sort of the point.

Just play for whichever side you want, and things should sort themselves out after a while (though you'll have some major goals stuck to your goals screen for the rest of the game :))
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Got the same DD intro issues Thehotdogman mentioned.

New stuff:
* Breakout- When you get gameover but then use new game/password your score remains. Shouldn't it reset to 0? (like a whole new game does?)
* Some syntax issues in "Twist":
chapter 2: Last part about Jaime and Reyes misses all ' and " signs.
chapter 3: First page misses all ' signs, "Andreus looked at <b>Malcomb</b>, crumpled and hurting on the floor".
chapter 5: "And this was what happened as Alex Jacobsen and Jock watched from <b>his cell</b>". Their cells?
chapter 7: Janis' TV statement misses it's opening ".
* Chris: Trestkon can say: "I ask Walton then" instead of "I ask walton then" during the Helios convo (second time around, first time it's not capitalised).
* 1.0.2 doors that can still break with a sword: Phasmatis' basement door, Jonas' 2 cabinets (day 1).
* Even though the saving during PDX issue is fixed; it seems 1.0.1's fix of disabling leveltransition has now been ommitted? If you kill someone from behind the INF doors, you can simply walk outside (or to level 2 and have a chat with Kashue!), but level 1 of PDX will remain forever screwed, likely possing problems (you have to meet Kashue on level 1 after the spybox mission after all, and the WC-quest becomes quite a bit harder with an invernable enemy on your tail)
* You can cancel the second abduction dialogue by frobbing Lynn or Bunky.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:You can cancel the second abduction dialogue by frobbing Lynn or Bunky.
That's not a bug.

Also you can stop reporting typos and grammar errors in things we didn't write. That means Twist, Unknown Motives, The Bastard Operator From Hell, and anything else that's clearly sourced as being written by somebody with no association to the TNM team (usually that means there's a link to the source somewhere before or after the text). We're not fixing those, for the sake of authenticity.

And you can keep reporting breakable doors if you want, but I won't promise you we'll fix them. Frankly I need to start prioritizing bugs severely by now, or I can spend the next 5 years fixing TNM bugs on full time, and that prospect doesn't appeal to me. I'll probably ignore all but the most severe game-breaking bugs from now on.

The PDX thing qualifies, for example.
The Despot thing? Eeeh... maybe. But no promises.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
CP5670
Mole Person

Post by CP5670 »

640x480 was probably the worst you could choose, given that at that size the text is as large as it gets.

Try something just below 1280x1024 or similar.
1280x960 works (with the TNM hud, which never had this problem but looks too small on larger resolutions), but it looks kind of lousy. I guess I've been spoiled by playing the normal game at 2048x1536. :P

Did you add any setting to force the small fonts manually like you referred to in the other thread?
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Jonas wrote:That's not a bug.
Okay. Mentioned it because cancelling the first dialogue with frobbing was mentioned in the 1.0.2 fixlog as being a "bug". And most other convo's don't allow that.
Also you can stop reporting typos and grammar errors in things we didn't write.
Ah, you guys didn't wrote the operators from hell? Must have not been clear enough :D, what with the major amount of books and papers etc. you guys did write. Although I am pretty sure a whole section missing syntax signs is probably not how it was written, but somehow a copying error? Because of the 7 twist books I read so far only 3 (actually 2 1/2) of the 40 or so pages has it. :-k
EDIT: Okay, checked the link to Twist you gave on the Wiki, and definitely there is syntax there. Especially the end of chapter 2 it's quite clear, and makes it somewhat confusing to read.
And you can keep reporting breakable doors if you want, but I won't promise you we'll fix them.
I keep slashing away :). Most of them seem fixed so far anyway. Not like I have something better to do with my time than playing TNM ;).
Frankly I need to start prioritizing bugs severely by now
Understandable that after all this time all you guys wish to move on... AT LAST. Maybe make a deal with Eidos Montreal? If only...
DDL

Post by DDL »

CP5670 wrote: Did you add any setting to force the small fonts manually like you referred to in the other thread?
Just added it, so it'll be in 1.0.3.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:EDIT: Okay, checked the link to Twist you gave on the Wiki, and definitely there is syntax there. Especially the end of chapter 2 it's quite clear, and makes it somewhat confusing to read.
Ah right, I think I know what you mean now. That's annoying, I thought I'd been really careful about all that. Okay I'll take a look at it, shouldn't be too hard to fix. Thanks.

I hope I didn't come across as too bitter and annoyed before (though I am very bitter and annoyed, just not at you ;)), I'm very grateful that you care enough to report all this, though I'm concerned that you're not finding the mod very immersive, seeing how you keep focussing on the bugs you're finding :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
[]KAOS[]Casey
Thug

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Late by a few days, but damn you guys do good work on patching your game. Or mod? Whatever you want to call it as nameless as it is.

Also, i'm sort of shocked that Eidos actually talked to you guys and gave you something. I'm used to getting an extremely cold shoulder from Epic games, where you'll see a one line response from mark rein "I have forwarded this email to the person in charge of that." or maybe even nothing at all.

PM me your contact with them, if you would. Smirftsch has talked to me about fixing other unreal engine games, particularly Deus Ex and Unreal 2. Deus Ex suffers from many bugs that we have fixed for unreal in our 227 patch that we would gladly give to our brothers who play DX as well. Once we're really done with 227 we can likely pursue DX. That should be within a year or less, depending on how many bugs are in UPak{Unreal gold RNTP expansion}, and depending if the Eidos guys will trust the people Epic does with their source.

Also /threadjack off
I have seen code that has surely darkened my soul within the depths of the unreal engine itself.
Shameless plug for Unreal 227 patch : http://www.oldunreal.com/
Pandarsenic
Thug

Post by Pandarsenic »

DDL wrote:
Pandarsenic wrote: I don't know what to make of this, really.
"I've intentionally tried to break the game using metaknowledge, and now the game appears broken?"

...surely that's sort of the point.

Just play for whichever side you want, and things should sort themselves out after a while (though you'll have some major goals stuck to your goals screen for the rest of the game :))
Well, it just surprised me since you guys seemed to have thought of nearly everything related to the actual storyline in advance. =D>

I can only hope this doesn't rape my save when I next have to talk to Phas for a PDX Quest...
No Finka
Mole Person

Post by No Finka »

Probably a Deus Ex error seeing as I never used spy drone really in it but anyways, I was playing TNM from the start to show a friend and I decided to cheat for a bit of fun, you know, all augs, infinite bioenergy, god, all the good ones lol, anywho I put on super vroom vroom speedy legs of doom speed enhancement and just coz I wanted to deactivate firewalls bot I used spy drone while running and well... I kinda of got stuck in my spy drone and was moving with it and he little screen came up and I was just running inside the spy drone towards to the then I pressed 'fire' and well nothing happened... just had to wait 20+ seconds to do spy drone again. As I said, probably a Deus ex bug but I will just put it here because I think that event deserves a mention for anyone to try out :) sorry or wasting any potential reading time.
santherus
Thug

Post by santherus »

Small bug in the text for one of the mission goals:

1) When doing the mission to get the free subway pass, once the floppy is retrieced from AO and NVSH IM has been received, the goal text mentions returning to the apartment and uploading to the datacube (apologies - I don't have the exact text in front of me).

As what actually needs to be done is to return to Phas' apartment building and upload the code to the laptop, I found this a bit confusing - expecially as I'd logged off my PC for a few days before going back to complete the mission! Hope this helps.

2) Also (and even more vaguely) I recall that some textures on the Station are reversed: I'm using HDTP, and noticed that some of the displays (sorry for the vagueness here - the text displays on the large computers that stretch the length of walls) are back to front in some sections.

3) Finally, the vent in Phas' apartment building and the exterior of the subway trains (again, with HDTP) have a 'knitted' look to them, rather than a metallic look.

Not my finest hour as a tester, I'll admit, but I hope that the above points you in the right direction.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Jonas wrote:I hope I didn't come across as too bitter and annoyed before (though I am very bitter and annoyed, just not at you ;)), I'm very grateful that you care enough to report all this, though I'm concerned that you're not finding the mod very immersive, seeing how you keep focussing on the bugs you're finding :P
Not at all.
Oh, I am having a lot of fun (more than pretty much any other game for the past several years), but I am the kind of weird Meta-playing person who tries to push a game to the edge and see if developers took it into account (something TNM does surprisingly often) and just finds it fun to break stuff, and is observant to such instances. Trying to reproduce a crash might sound boring, but I find it fun (0_o). As long as it remains during play and not repetitive repeatingness like a real beta-testers job.

Anyway... here is the following bunch. Didn't get a lot of time with TNM lately, so that's why it's pretty small. Also spend a lot of time in the game trying to survive the Llama temple without pissing them majorly off (I think I failed) but more on that later.

* Some additional doors: Basement of Partyzone, WC Level 1 guardpost closet, WC Level 2 locker Surveillance Technology.
* I somehow got the "Partyzone Fight" global announcement. Not killed anyone though. I think it has to do with LAWing the droid in the basement.
* I already noticed this in 1.0.1. But the outragious cameraposition this time forced me to report it ;): NVShacker convo about A2. When A2 says his first line the camera goes into a random odd location (I think it should have been an overview, but those counters block it from being used properly?), and sticks that way for the whole convo. This time I watched NVSHacker's "lower regions" for the entire conversation... Yah?
* (Not 100% sure, but very very likely) The "Infinite Money Exploit" (despite popular believe it's not infinite) is caused by the (game!)code used to fix up the Downtown ATM. Since it re-breaks in day 2, and it still sparks, the easiest solution would just be not to use it, I doubt anyone would miss it (okay, some would miss all the extra money, but that aside :D).
For a slightly longer explenation: All ATM's not interacted with yet start to use the DX-principe instead of the TNM one. I think an ATM upon first use checks the TNM-passcode list and then sets the values correct based on that, right? However once I returned from Corperate to Downtown and back all machines I had not interacted with gave me 500 creds for typing in Trestkon's account. Clearly because they were working like DX: Seperate. This also explains why hacking seemed to always give the same amount, it always hacked the upper account instead of a random because of this bug (and looking at the Creds, that would be Trestkon's).
* After the Scramblenade fix of 1.0.2: "Arcadia" magazine about "False Llame lies" spreader mentions the year 2012 and 2015 (Religion law passed then).
* For reasons unknown I got Llama temple issues as reported before. Instead of entering the temple I was placed back with Abomination. This was using a new game after 1.0.2. Placing a new copy of 20_LlamaTemple fixed the issue (and it never returned), only "problem" being my stolen items returning. As said; not sure what caused this. Other people have similar issues?
* When you press the button to go down the Llama temple the guard at the door turns hostile. Since it's supposed to be a restricted area probably not too much an issue, but since you can't take him down without making all Llama's downstairs hostile, it can become a great problem. Players with Cloak or a Invis Armor (what's the name?) can probably savely leave, but if you do not have those things then you have 2 options. Kill everyone, turning Beefman certainly hostile, making working for the Llama's impossible, or run as fast as you can and hope none of the hostile Llama's run up and alarm Beefman (very very tricky and risky).
* If, as Llama, you blow up the ancient tablet, there are no consequences (other then the 4 nearby llama's turning hostile, but they can be killed). You get 500XP, an unfinishable goal (since DT is hostile) and all other llama's wont care a bit.
* Llama downstaits security console not doing anything. There are no camera's, turrets or special options? Is that intentional? Also, the nearby Aug canister container is set to crush things on encroach when opening. There is TNT(!) in it's path. You can guess what happens.

* Is the massacre award mentioned in the bonus content still present? If so, how is it determined when to give? When the area counters hit 0?
I expect the issue with Sol's closing early was due to the count lowering (ZP being "deleted"), and therefore he doesn't get removed from the count now(?). Many people get properly removed from the count (SD, Dave from ZODIAC), which makes me think it's likely the bonus is tied to the count.
However, this would make it impossible to get certain bonusses, because hidden enemies still get detected (WeaponShop has 7 for example), and certain people do not get properly removed (NPC's killed by NPC's. Scriptkilled persons like the 3 victims of SD).
I tried to see if it was tied to the count by manually making WCLevel 1 0, but it auto-detects it is 6 when leaving, letting me get no bonus.
Considering my meta-gamingness I like my bonus, so should I accept it's impossible in 1.0.2, or should I not worry since it's not implented anyway? I killed everyone non-bot in all 3 levels that I should acording to the bonusmaterial.