Patch 1.0.2

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Patch 1.0.2

Post by Jonas »

It's not, sorry.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I can only make it crash (and really only then) if it's on during a leveltransition. What are you doing that it just keeps crashign with you?

(get an error too? What does it say?)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I just realised I saw one thing missing from the list that's pretty extreme (well, now that I write this it became 2 :giggle:):

* The DXO pre-DXI for PDX players.
* The Llama temple not opening if you killed Abomination.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Hassat Hunter wrote:I just realised I saw one thing missing from the list that's pretty extreme (well, now that I write this it became 2 :giggle:):

* The DXO pre-DXI for PDX players.
I believe Jonas said he wasn't going to fix this, because it would be too complicated.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:* The DXO pre-DXI for PDX players.
Eww, yeah I can't be arsed with that. If you're gonna deliberately break the game, I'm not stopping you.
* The Llama temple not opening if you killed Abomination.
Thanks for the reminder - should be fixed now.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote:* The DXO pre-DXI for PDX players.
Eww, yeah I can't be arsed with that. If you're gonna deliberately break the game, I'm not stopping you.
Isn't trying to break the game and failing one of the things that make TNM so great though? Isn't that why we get a funny cinematic when we kill scara?
odio ergo sum
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

So this is kinda nitpicky and I fully expect to inspire a :? laden post from Jonas for this, but would it be possible to tweak when the Scara PM telling you how to get around paying for the subway pass to before you've already done the sidequests and earned that cash? As it is now, it's a way to make an extra effort to save some cash by doing something bad, but if it pops up before you already do the work, it can be an evil alternative to save you work. Typically in fiction, we make a point to emphasize the evil of laziness, and portray the path of least resistance as the way of the bad guy. ;)
As it is now I don't really feel like there's much motivation at all to do the quest, since it locks off the bar for later. You can remake that 1000 with just the quiz game alone, not to mention it probably effects your relationship with two WC path important characters who are hanging out at the bar at the time, which undermines the concept of just doing it for completion sake on a WC playthrough (I'm assuming, but I can't imagine they'd appreciate you attacking the bartender in their presence, they've aggressed me for breaking into the office before while I was experimenting :P).
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Well, 1000 credits is a lot, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who appreciate the option of not spending it on something you can get for free. And that quiz game is really hard... sure you could cheat and reload if you get wrong, but then you might as well just cheat yourself to whatever you need to buy for the money.

And really, with the money you save, you can buy pretty much any gun from ravings with the cash you have. There are benefits to getting a plasma rifle/gep gun early, y'know.
odio ergo sum
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jaedar wrote: And that quiz game is really hard... sure you could cheat and reload if you get wrong, but then you might as well just cheat yourself to whatever you need to buy for the money.
"If you're gonna steal some food, you might as well get a gun and rob the grocery store"
There's a big difference between abusing ingame features and holes and using a cheat code.

And there's a lot more in the bar besides just the quiz game, there's a handful of quests that rely on it, not to mention the aug salesman, and the effects starting shit in front of kylie and ZP might have.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

It is perfectly possible to knock out alpha without anyone noticing. Also, it means you don't have to spend any lockpicks to get his pistol, which is always a plus. And handful of quests? I count 2, one of which is PDX only and one that you can do before knocking Sol out. (not sure you can buy the aug stuff though...)
odio ergo sum
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

The reason you get the PM from Scara at all is because he realizes you've already had more than enough time to get 1000 credits. How does the game know when to send such a PM? Well it waits until you've already had more than enough time to get 1000 credits. Why change such an elegant set up?

Also, right now you have a system where you have flat out greed on one side and ... various other things on the other. You don't need the free pass, you know you don't need the free pass, the only reason to take the free pass is if your character is a greedy bastard (or if you want to play every possible mission, but that is a meta reason.) In other words, you have an actual unambiguous choice about the kind of character you're playing. What you are proposing would completely eliminate that factor. The mission would become just another of various quests, some with questionable ethical considerations, to make your way towards a subway pass.

-

As a side note, my computer is still broken and this chair is uncomfortable.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

chris the cynic wrote: You don't need the free pass, you know you don't need the free pass, the only reason to take the free pass is if your character is a greedy bastard
Well, you don't really know money is going to be so abundant that an extra thousand won't be useful, at least not the first playthrough.
odio ergo sum
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Jaedar wrote:
chris the cynic wrote: You don't need the free pass, you know you don't need the free pass, the only reason to take the free pass is if your character is a greedy bastard
Well, you don't really know money is going to be so abundant that an extra thousand won't be useful, at least not the first playthrough.
While that is a perfectly legitimate point, I more or less stand by what I said. Because the mission to get the free pass only becomes available after you have enough money to pay for a pass legitimately the incentive to complete the mission is money and only money. (Meta reasons aside.)

If it were available beforehand then getting the subway pass becomes an incentive in itself, which would mean that what was once an action that could only be motivated by the desire for money could now be an action motivated by expediency, frustration at not being able to gather enough funds for a pass, an altruistic desire to get to work as soon as possible, or any number of other things. The clarity of what your choice says about your character would be lost.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Chris do you know why the free pass mission sometimes becomes available immediately after you exit the apartments?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Nobody knows. It is a mystery.
Jonas Wæver