Game keeps slowing down and then speeding back up again

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Banana Fish
Mole Person

Game keeps slowing down and then speeding back up again

Post by Banana Fish »

Hi,

I'm really enjoying the mod so far, but I'm having a problem with the framerate dropping to the speed of a slideshow every 5 mins or so. Normally the game runs very smooth, and the number of objects and the complexity of the scene doesn't seem to matter. After maybe 5 or 10 mins the framerate just drops massively for about 30 seconds, and then will lurch back up again and run smoothly untill it happens again. During these periods when the game slows down, all the sounds in the background are fine.

I have lowered the display settings, and while this improves the overall framerate, it doesn't stop the 30 second slow downs I keep experiencing.

I'm sorry I can't offer a more technical description of my problem, I'm just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue and if there is a known solution.

If I choose to play vanilla Deus Ex everything runs fine.

I'm playing on a dual core 1.8Ghz Laptop, with a NVidia 8400M GS graphics card and Windows Vista.
Dave
Thug

Re: Game keeps slowing down and then speeding back up again

Post by Dave »

Hi Banana.

Download this file. Replace your deusex.exe with this one. All problems will be solved :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I wouldn't be so sure about that - TNM should be using that file by default.

Not that I have any other ideas...
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Using only one core may solve the problem.
Also, due to Deus Ex being old, it actually registers the CPU's power on install, so it could run the same way on every computer. However, the laptop's power slowly drains, and due to power saving reasons the CPU gets more or less power depending on the situation. So, just remove TNM and Deus Ex, set your laptop's power setting to that of a desktop, and reinstall.

Those are the solutions that work on Deus Ex. But since that runs just fine, I'm probably as clueless as others.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hm I guess it's possible that Hanfling's launcher actually breaks what it's supposed to fix if it isn't already broken. If that makes sense.

So one thing you could try is to rename TNM.exe in your DeusEx\System folder to something else, then make a copy of DeusEx.exe and rename it to TNM.exe and see if that helps.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Dave
Thug

Post by Dave »

I actually had the same problem when i first installed TNM, just replacing my deusex.exe worked for me...