Da lags are not cool

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Andy.G
Thug

Da lags are not cool

Post by Andy.G »

Now it has been stressed that the Nameless Mod is made on 1999 hardware and lag is a none existant issue. However this is not the case for me.

Now I don't have the oldest computer in the world, I run Deus Ex and many recent games with no problems and my rig is recently built (quad core, 4gig of ram, 8800GT) so it just baffles me when the Nameless Mod decides to go SLOW MO (lag out) on me when there's a lot on the screen. This is especialy on the very last level when shooting your way through all the aliens on the command deck, I had to lower my settings (1680 x 1050, all max settings) to get it running smoothly which was a big bummer for me.

Could there be any reason why I get the lags at times when my jaw should be dropping? I ask your generous advice.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Da lags are not cool

Post by DDL »

The space station in particular appears to have occasional pauses. It might be due to the teleporting aliens, since they have to iterate through their 'find a place to jump to' code a few times before they succeed, so if there are a few of them and they're fucking up a lot, it might hesitate..but that'd be a guess.

You could always check with

killall phaser

or indeed just killall scriptedpawn (in case it's a pathing issue).

Of course, it's always possible that it's purely just THAT complicated a level to render (since reducing your settings does in fact appear to work). While modern comps have a far easier time with DX, the engine itself is still 10 years old, so fuckups are not unheard of. :)
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Most of the lags seem to be caused by NPC's or bots getting stuck (for me).
For example the milbot in the loading hangar in ABI. It can't get past those boxes, yet it tries... and it never gets out of it (not even if I am on the other side of the level), making the game very slow unless I blow it up/disable it.
The bots wandering around the offices might do this to you, as they sometimes tend to get stuck. What level of the ship are you on when it "lags"?
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Andy.G
Thug

Post by Andy.G »

I now believe it is my graphics card not being up to the test (which is sad) since I also get some lag if I look out over the central district of forum city (mostly near Sol's).

To answer your qustion Hassat, I'm on the command deck of the space station (which contains the control panel to the lazor) which is also multi-leveled. I haven't had any problems with the said bots at ABI or in the 'offices', it's just when there is alot of activity on screen that my poor computer wheezes with effort.

Therefore I think I will need to do the unheard of and UPGRADE my computer to play the Nameless Mod.........

Anything better than a 8800GT these days (that's cheap?)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Dude it's not your graphics card, you're running a 9 years old game on an 8800GT. It's the engine. It can't handle the detail level, so it stutters regardless of your hardware.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Andy.G
Thug

Post by Andy.G »

Jonas wrote:It's the engine. It can't handle the detail level, so it stutters regardless of your hardware.
Poor thing. Then I guess it's back to medium graphics when time gets tough :(