TNM.exe just loads the original game

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Dark Reality
UNATCO

TNM.exe just loads the original game

Post by Dark Reality »

TNM.exe just loads the original game, albeit with a new .ini (none of the settings set by DeusEx.exe and DeusEx.ini are retained, it acts as though freshly installed). I tried deleting the TNM.ini and restarting it (figuring, at least partially correctly, that it would generate it on first run). Still just loaded the original game.

Tried copying TNM.ini from DeusEx\TNM\System to DeusEx\System and that resulted in a very long error. (I'm taking a screenshot, I can't get to the photo uploading services (firewall, I guess) but thank God you guys allow uploading. I'm using The GIMP to optimize it. Can't use the app, but I had to get an avatar under 1KB (16x16) for a forum, and that's the tool they recommended, and it worked, so here goes. Wow, 176KB becomes 46KB. Not bad. Few artifacts but still totally readable.)
sshot8.jpeg
Now, I'm not doing this on an installed TNM, so any fault is mine. I installed DX (GOTY) and then TNM at home, and then put the DeusEx folder on a flash drive, and I'm testing it on another machine. The other machine is more than capable of running it, it's nothing like that.

What's mainly different (as DX, and presumably any mod made for it) is that I don't have a desktop shortcut. Does your desktop shortcut simply call TNM.exe (in DeusEx\System) or is there an argument or switch at the end?
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.
JC_Helios
X-51

Re: TNM.exe just loads the original game

Post by JC_Helios »

Did you download the patch or the necessary windows runtime thingie?

Check the stickies.
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

](*,) Why didn't I think of that?

Well, now it loads, but the menus don't show up. I can see the logo in the upper right, the text below ("The Nameless Mod 1.02"), and... that's it. I'll try changing my rendering device.

OK, that didn't really help. I'm using Direct3D rendering, and the game *itself* looks great. What doesn't look great is the HUD. Basically, it's gone. Now, there's a really cool effect with the inventory belt. At game start, all you can see is the ten numbers, plus the nanokeyring. I pick up the sodacan in the guy's little office, and it's just there floating. The mesh behind it isn't showing up at all. Same for my health meter, compass, and egg count.

The menus are completely unreadable. On the character creation screen I could kind of figure out what I was looking at, but just clicked Start. No real need to allocate points right away anyway.

The rest of the game seems to work and play perfectly. Menus aside the intro movie looks great, the characters render right, all the furniture and stuff, the walls, all that stuff looks right. It's all right but the HUD is off.
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

TNM.exe itself runs DX. The added parameters to the desktop icon/start menu link get the new content loaded.

So; you might want to try that. It probably fixes your issue(s).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...