TNM in Wine

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Namagem
Mole Person

TNM in Wine

Post by Namagem »

I'm currently using linux for various reasons, but I soon realized that, although deus ex is fully compatible with wine, the way that TNM calls it's files makes it difficult to use in Wine. Does anyone know a way to play TNM using Wine?
PleegWat
NSF

Re: TNM in Wine

Post by PleegWat »

Worked out of the box for me. I did have to use winetricks to get the VC++ runtimes to install, since their normal installer wouldn't work.
Oh, and I disabled the alternative openGL renderer; it performs very badly for some reason I don't want to bother finding out.
brebs
Mole Person

Post by brebs »

Start the mod with:

taskset -c 1 /usr/bin/wine "C:\DeusEx\System\TNM.exe" -hax0r INI="C:\DeusEx\TNM\System\TNM.ini" USERINI="C:\DeusEx\TNM\System\TNMUser.ini" log=TNM.log

The "taskset" part limits wine to 1 CPU, stopping Deus Ex from running too quickly during cutscenes. The "-hax0r INI..." is specified in the Windows desktop link that Wine creates.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

PleegWat wrote:I disabled the alternative openGL renderer; it performs very badly for some reason
Ironic that directx should be the better choice under windows
PleegWat
NSF

Post by PleegWat »

IIRC both the improved openGL and the directx drivers perform badly, providing a very low framerate. I'm using the original directx driver, which doesn't give any problems.

Possibly related, the openGL driver is still accessing the direct3d subsystems (sevaral wine debug messages show this).
brebs
Mole Person

Post by brebs »

PleegWat, if you want to be constructive, then provide DETAIL - which of the hundreds of video cards, do you have, and which wine version are you using.
PleegWat
NSF

Post by PleegWat »

Sry, should've clarified that. I was replying to that guy's comments. I'm not playing TNM or DX at the moment, so I'm not really interested in solving the problem.

But FYI, a geforce 8800 GTS on official binary drivers, Pentium D 3.00 ghz, ubuntu 9.10, wine 1.1.24-8-g01e3823 (self-compiled from sources, with a modification in the keyboard module that shouldn't affect DX.)

I will try the cpu affinity trick you described next time I play TNM, since I am also getting weird timing issues with the cinematics.