Cut off subtitles.

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Charlie99993
Thug

Cut off subtitles.

Post by Charlie99993 »

Forgive me if this has been asked already numerous times, but sometimes subtitles and responses are cut off (made the quote game a hassle, I'll tell you.) Also one of the posts I read said asking a question to this same predicament, so I'll say in advance that am not using a wide screen monitor.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Cut off subtitles.

Post by DDL »

Can't remember if I added it for 1.0.2 or if it'll be in the next patch, but try typing

toggleconvofonts

in the console (well, at the talk prompt...you know what I mean).
Charlie99993
Thug

Post by Charlie99993 »

Unrecognized Command, it seems.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I think one of the in-game loading tips is to play in windowed mode if subtitles are cut off.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There will be a couple of different ways to circumvent this in the next patch. Until then I think your best bet is to revert to the old GUI (check the manual) or play in windowed mode.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
JeniSkunk
UNATCO

Post by JeniSkunk »

Fullscreen TNM, 1280x800 is using too large a font for cut scene subtitles, and as a result is the subtitles are being cut off about half-way down on the second line of text on my notebook.
Windowed mode TNM, 1024x768, is using the same small font for the cut scenes as fullscreen normal DX and DX HDTP on my notebook.

I have applied the DesiredFOV tweaks, and the Console= one as well to TNM.
Made no difference at all to the size of font TNM uses for subtitles in cut scenes in fullscreen.

edit: typo

Jenifur Charne
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

JeniSkunk wrote:Fullscreen TNM, 1280x800 is using too large a font for cut scene subtitles, and as a result is the subtitles are being cut off about half-way down on the second line of text on my notebook.
Now the weird thing is, my laptop runs in 1280x800, and TNM looks fine in fullscreen on it.

So what the hell?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
JeniSkunk
UNATCO

Post by JeniSkunk »

Jonas wrote:
JeniSkunk wrote:Fullscreen TNM, 1280x800 is using too large a font for cut scene subtitles, and as a result is the subtitles are being cut off about half-way down on the second line of text on my notebook.
Now the weird thing is, my laptop runs in 1280x800, and TNM looks fine in fullscreen on it.

So what the hell?
I wish I could figure it, Jonas.
Checked the forums for any ideas on fixing things and applied them as written before posting. Tested the suggested fixes singularly and in combo. Made utterly no difference at all to how the subtitles were showing in my install of TNM.
Here's the pics.
TNM subtitle cutoff - http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n144 ... cutoff.jpg
Deus Ex standard - http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n144 ... reenDX.jpg
Deus Ex HDTP - http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n144 ... DXHDTP.jpg

Jenifur Charne
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

I know it's an ugly solution, but have you tried playing in a smaller resolution? I play in 1024xw/e it is, and I don't have any problems. That said, I do have an older system.....
Life is a series of random events designed to strip you of your sanity.

JeniSkunk
UNATCO

Post by JeniSkunk »

Skilgannon wrote:I know it's an ugly solution, but have you tried playing in a smaller resolution? I play in 1024xw/e it is, and I don't have any problems. That said, I do have an older system.....
The only windowed mode resolutions that would fit fully on my screen are 640x480 and 800x600. Running TNM in 1024x768 windowed mode, the top of the window is pushed up off the screen due to my use of a 2 line Windows taskbar.

Jenifur Charne
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Oh, I forgot to mention, I play in fullscreen.....
Life is a series of random events designed to strip you of your sanity.

JeniSkunk
UNATCO

Post by JeniSkunk »

Skilgannon wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention, I play in fullscreen.....
Tried that.
Whilst it fixes the fonts, it also causes distortion of the image as my notebook automatically stretches it from 1024x768 fullscreen to fit the native res 1280x800 fullscreen.

Another piece of weirdness I find is that pressing the Windows button to bring up the Start Menu and leaving TNM, causes TNM to use the small font for the first line of subtitling immediately when I return to the cut scene, only if there is subtitling on screen when I return to TNM.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n144 ... lfont1.jpg
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n144 ... lfont2.jpg
Pic 2 has the same subtitle text as an earlier pic with that text split over 2 lines and the bottom line cut off.
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n144 ... cutoff.jpg

Jenifur Charne