Accidentally angered NPC *PHAT-rifle location spoilers*

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Charlie99993
Thug

Accidentally angered NPC *PHAT-rifle location spoilers*

Post by Charlie99993 »

I accidentally angered Winquman when test firing the PHAT-Rifle, is there a way to make him not want to kill me? Tried leaving the building and coming back, but no luck...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Accidentally angered NPC *PHAT-rifle location spoilers*

Post by Jonas »

Well he should calm down if you hide for a while but sometimes that fails for some reason. Try typing "loveme Winquman" or "loveme Winq" (I forget what his tag is) into the console :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Charlie99993
Thug

Post by Charlie99993 »

His tag is Winquman as it seems. Thanks!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No problem!

I do wonder if this lack of forgiveness is caused by something we've done, or if it's just a Deus Ex AI bug.

Hrm <_<
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I've noticed that the command "loveme" also works like "tantalus", where you can just point at the NPC. Very helpful tool.

I've been noticing a lot of these "AI gets angry" instances. Deus Ex wasn't good at that. Still, I think it makes sense that shooting inside PDX would get them angry. As long as shooting in Raving's firing range doesn't get anyone angry. But yeah, DX characters used to forgive when JC was out of sight and quiet while on the same map for a long time.
Whiplash
Thug

Post by Whiplash »

justanotherfan wrote:But yeah, DX characters used to forgive when JC was out of sight and quiet while on the same map for a long time.
Yeah, but there were very few such flaws where this issue arose in Deus Ex. There were many times when you had to deal with allies where there were dead enemies that didn't cause them to go apecrap.

1)Liberty Island - you had to waste a whole bunch of NSF, then UNATCO secured the island.
2) The New York City missions - sometimes you wasted the baddies, sometimes you had to fight them alongside UNATCOs
3) Lebedevs hangar area (overground) again, any NSF you didn't kill were taken care of by the UNATCO security team, dead bodies abound. No problems.
4) Lucky Money in WanChai, attacked by MJ12 Commandos, you had to fight alongside the Red Arrow security team, again you will have no problems with the team unless you hit one of them.

The only point in the original Deus Ex where your allies acted crazy without provocation was in Lebedev's Helibase, if you went back down there after dealing with the Lebedev situation, your allies would all go nuts on you over the dead NSFs.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Both DX and TNM handle "them vs us" situations quite happily: fighting alongside WC grunts against ABI commandos is exactly the same situation as many of those you describe, and exactly as reliable.

It's when the situations are "them vs them vs me vs them vs us" or similar..that you get problems.
Whiplash
Thug

Post by Whiplash »

Now that I think of it, the 4 "Eddie Way" Chinese police were very easy to get mad after the Commando raid - even if you never drew a weapon during the fight!
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

I figured it had to do with JC getting blamed for the commandos breaking the glass in the shop and setting off the alarm. Several times the glass has been broken after the raid, the police are hostile, and I know I hadn't robbed the place previously.
My name is not Jeff.
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

I bloody hate the crazy AI in dx and tnm , tnm especially with the phat rifle ! like the first post , you go somewhere to test fire it , and before you know it there's a whole bunch of angry gun weilding people on your back ... personally I think its the phat rifle itself ... the main firing function is a bit damn loud , and even with ricebags , ive seen civilians running for cover when theres clearly no sound effect while using them from the gun ... as for the Original DX , ive not had these problems whatsoever , well apart from the 4 eddie ways in hong kong , but thats only 1 instance really , though Im glad you can fix these problems in TNM with the loveme code . If only DX had a code such as this ...
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]
DDL

Post by DDL »

Point of note: actual sound makes no difference, the AI can't "hear". What you have is 'anything that is ostensibly going to make a loud noise also 'emits' an AI event notifying nearby NPCs that a loud noise has occurred'. So the two are in fact separable: you could have explosions that everyone ignores, or silent weapons that alert everyone.

It's possible somewhere in the PHAT code this got screwy...maybe.

Mostly I suspect it's just the fact you're firing a gun in the middle of friendly territory.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Randomly firing guns does tend to freak people out.

AND IN THE GAME.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

No, I hear gunshots in my neighborhood all the time and nobody freaks out. See?
My name is not Jeff.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

In your neighbourhood, no. In the same room as you, though?

In Copenhagen, a SWAT unit was deployed a while ago when some people called the police to report gunfire, and it turned out their neighbours had been playing PS3 with the volume turned up too far.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine