Game hangs/freezes when loading large file sizes

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Ballystix
Mole Person

Game hangs/freezes when loading large file sizes

Post by Ballystix »

Hello, I am recently running into a rather annoying problem of not being able to load certain games, I believe the problem is file size dependant. Here is a chronological order of what i've done so far:

EDIT: i should say that i THINK the crash is file size dependant, its just a guess. Another important thing that i noticed is that while playing (a succesful load), the game tends crash in a similar fasion (ie: freeze but still play music + ambient sounds) in certain areas. More notebly, in the level 2 basement of worldcorp, i THINK this is the first level/place where i have encountered this. Sometimes i will be walking around and it would randomly occur, with no error message.

EDITx2: my computer specs are:
windows xp professional service pack 3 -
amd athlon 64 x2 dual 4200+
2 gigs of ram

-installed the game
-played the game, saved and loaded without problems under version 1.0
-installed version 1.02
-continued to play the game without any loading problems
-days later, I am unable to load saves properly - file sizes over 90 mb seem to freeze upon completing the load: the game starts up and then it freezes, i can hear the ambient sound in the background but game is unresponsive. no crash message, a restart or a ctrl+alt+del is required.
- I later tested loading smaller file sizes (15 mb-40 mb) and they seem to work fine.. i THINK file sizes over 100 mb seem to be an issue for me but i havnt found the absolute threshold.
-Saving is not a huge issue but i do notice that it takes a while to save (10-30 seconds sometimes)

Any recommendations? is a reinstall in order? if so, should i rely on the save games i've been using?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: Game hangs/freezes when loading large file sizes

Post by justanotherfan »

I've seen crashes like that, but it's nonspecific. They didn't happen while loading, and didn't happen often.

I'm not sure what to suggest. Other people have been saying that saving/loading is memory intensive. You could do a memory test using memtest.org

You could also try deleting old savegames, and starting a new game using the 1.0.2 patch. Some had said that the savegames could be incompatible.