Slicer glitch - WorldCorp basement

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Metroid13
Mole Person

Slicer glitch - WorldCorp basement

Post by Metroid13 »

Well, on my third play-through I managed to find Slicer cooped up in WC's underground prison, but for some reason he shows up as red on the IFF and he refuses to talk to me as a result. Any ideas as to how to get around this? I tried setting his alliance to player and then leaving and coming back again, but he's still showing up as an enemy, so help would be appreciated.
Made in China
MJ12

Re: Slicer glitch - WorldCorp basement

Post by Made in China »

If you're using the current patch, point at him and use the "loveme" command.
In order to type commands, press "t", delete everything, and type the desired command.
Metroid13
Mole Person

Post by Metroid13 »

Wow, that's... convenient. Thanks!
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

tbh , I didnt even think of that untill now too ! :lol: i just used to run away from him the minute i freed him , then he would still meet up with me at PDX ... weird , but true :lol:
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]
Wounded Ronin
Thug

Post by Wounded Ronin »

Wow, I didn't even know that was a glitch. I assumed he was "supposed" to be hostile to you because you are warned by some other character not to hurt him or stay out of his way or something.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I believe that if you trigger the laser (by opening his cell, but not deactivating the laser) he's supposed to become hostile - but I don't really remember that bit very well.
Anyway, his original state is "friendly", and if you rescue him properly - he's supposed to stay that way. Otherwise, his IFF changes because of some Unreal Engine glitches.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

He is actually never supposed to be hostile unless you outright shoot at him and I have no idea why he turns hostile. Thought it might be a scripting bug (my own mission scripts are prone to embarrassing conflicts and oversights, errors which Shane or Nick generally catch when they do it for me) but I can't find anything anywhere that would do it - the only alliance switch in that map is for That Guy, so there's no way that could mess with Slicer.

I think it's his AI firing on something it shouldn't, but I've really tightened up his settings so he shouldn't react to anything other than direct damage. But in the next patch he'll be permanently friendly so you can shoot him to death without eliciting any response. Not optimal, but... fuck it, eh? :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Well, he couldn't really attack in the first place, so as long as he's killable - which mainly affects the WC stroyline - it's alright, I guess. Kind of odd, but also Paul didn't go hostile on you at first, if you attacked him, and you could still disable his arms (at least in Shifter you could) - so it won't introduce any new mechanics. So, yeah - at least the problem is solved in case you do in rescue Slicer.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

What is odd is that he only turns hostile if the alarm goes off in the office section of WCID (with the receptionist), both the manual switch and when triggered by the camera's. Turning on the alarms in the cells does nothing (he remains friendly). Killing everybody does nothing. Walking around with corpses does nothing. Triggering the reception alarm; all hell breaks loose.

As for why he turns hostile with that alarm beats me, but I am 98% confident it's the cause.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

I don't really think that is the cause , when I went to rescue him , i cleared out the reception area with the wc commando , the bot and the receptionist without triggering any alarms , I killed the guard in the guardroom wit his cell key , and when I walked up to his cell , he looked at me , then turned hostile , and triggered his own cell booby traps :shock: I think , if you do this with any unsilenced weapons , pistol etc ... this caused it for me :shock: he heard me fighting the bot and commando through those walls and turned hostile :shock:

What's with that ? !

and any time I use cloak & silent run to free him without any fighting , this seems to be the main way I can free him , then I can go on a rampage :D
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Well, during my testing he remained completely friendly despite shooting people with unscoped sniperrifles, nor did he care for the destruction of the bot (LAM) or blowing up the MIB.

But woe befoe me if I triggered the alarm.

Finally I got it right by throwing a gas nade, headshooting the receptionist, then taking some cover, shooting the guard, taking his knife, and deliver it to Splicer.
Only to get killed without saving later by flamethrower *bangs head*

Oh well, then the other path around, not in the WCID labs. The guard there got a knife too, and I wasn't going to reload 12 times to prevent the alarm going off AGAIN. :giggle:
(and in the end, all was moot *sigh*)
SilverKnight
Thug

Post by SilverKnight »

I got this glitch in my playthrough. Loveme command fixed it, though. However, i think I know how it's triggered.

Randomly, while I was walking through the jail section where he is, i hear one of Slicer's audio queues through the wall(I was near where the double handscanners are... i think), and I hear his 'alert' audio que, where he says someting about 'damned invisible ninjas(i think)' Pretty sure he heard tres, thought it was a hostile, and went to evilmode. Might have been gunfire in the office section too, though.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You only get those barks if the character is hostile to you in the first place.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Talking about barks; Even if Slicer is friendly, I only heard his "Trestkon! Disable the trap please!" bark for the first time my 7th or so playthrough. Never heard it before...
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Well, since I was screwing around to find the cause for the Carcasone elevator glitch, I thought I might aswell invest some more time trying to break Splicer. This time helped by cheats to find the true cause!

Made myself invisible (but apparently camera's could still see me). Thus the alarm triggered, and Splicer became hostile. As I had known it to be.
Reload;
Zapped the camera with the EMP pistol, disabled the security button. Annihilated the Worlcorp commando before he could spot me. Returning to Splicer; he was still friendly. Good. Saved and continued.
Triggered the alarm; and once again Splicer became hostile once I returned.
Reloaded, EMP pistol on the camera, went to the MIB. Shot him. He came running into the hall, shot him again. He died, Splicer was hostile.
Reloaded. EMP pistol on the camera, went to the MIB. One-shot him to dead with an unsilenced sniper rifle. Splicer remained friendly. Triggered the alarm, Splicer remained friendly.
Reloaded. EMP pistol on the camera, went to the MIB. Shot him. Shot him again, and killed him in his office still (but off his chair). Splicer was hostile already though.

New theory: The enemies once becoming aware of a hostile presence notice Splicer THROUGH the wall, and think about attacking him. Splicer sees this as an attack and turns hostile (even if it's not the players fault at all). If you kill/incapacitate them before they have time to react and seek a target (Splicer) he remains friendly. The alarm turns Splicer hostile because it rises the MIB from his chair...
Then it seems the solution would be to make the MIB and Commando NOT hostile to splicer. While that may hurt some RP elements, it would atleast fix this dreaded bug, and it wouldn't be less RP-killing than Splicer becoming a willing target as is the idea now for 1.0.3, not to mention 98% of the players wont even notice the difference, because these 2 rarely venture into the prison complex.