DX9 render problems

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
DarkPhoenix
NSF

DX9 render problems

Post by DarkPhoenix »

I installed the GOTY edition of Deus Ex, then New Vision textures, then the Ultra High Quality mod (because it has the Direct 9 Renderer, HDTP and ENB series all together)..

tested it before installing TNM and everything including the DX9 renderer works great. I can play and load saved games etc.

Next I installed TNM and told it to use the DX9 renderer. After I set up my resolution and changed the color to 32 bit, I try to load the tutorial and it crashes every time.

I tried to load a new game and the first time I tried this it worked. I can use shift+F12 to turn on and off the DX9 features. I saved the game and exited. I reloaded the game and now every time I try to load that save game I get a critical error general protection fault and of course complete game crash to windows.

This is the error I get every time:

General Protection Fault!

History:UObject::ProcessEvent <- (TNMOggMusicManager 20_PhasApartment. TNMOggMusicManager0, function TNM, TNMOggMusic Manager, TIC) <- AActor::Tick <-
TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <-UGameEngine::Tick <- XGameEngineExt::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- mainLoop

This only happens with TNM and the DX9 renderer, the default direct 3d and open gl seem to work fine, but I really want to play the game with DX9 features.

Any ideas?

Update:
Since I first posted this an hour or so ago I have been reading on a lot of crashes related to the OggVorbus apps TNM uses. It seems most folks here aren't using the Direct X 9 renderer and I find it strange it only happens with DX9 when other people are getting Ogg errors with opengl. I saw the thread about getting testers for the new Ogg dll fix. If my problem applies, I will be happy to help you test.

2nd Update:

I went ahead and got the new ogg.dll from the sticky post and Poof, it fixed my problem.
DXOggChocobo2.zip worked for me. Sorry you guys had to read all of this just to find out I was able to fix the problem myself, but in the grand scheme of things it may help someone else out.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: DX9 render problems

Post by Jonas »

You shouldn't use that dll, you should patch your game instead - the last patch contains an even newer version of the ogg player. But if you do that now, be sure to revert to the original dll first, or it won't update it properly and that could cause trouble.

I'm taking the liberty of assuming you hadn't patched the mod before playing. Neither the .exe nor the .iso include the patch.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DarkPhoenix
NSF

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Er.. Yeah I did have the game patched before i installed that new one.. I had the 1.0.2 patch..I downloaded it when I downloaded the Mod. It may be newer than the Chocobo 2 version but thats the one that gave me a problem and the chocobo 2 fixed it.. strange I know.. but just because its newer I suppose it could still have compatabliity issues with either the dx9 or enb on my system.. perhaps there are other system factors that wasn't taken into account when the newer version was made... just a guess. Anyway, this lets you know some intelligence in case other people have problems with the ogg.dll from the 1.0.2 patch.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That's... interesting. But all right! As long as it works.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine