General protection fault: level change to WorldCorp basement

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
NoxDeleo
Mole Person

General protection fault: level change to WorldCorp basement

Post by NoxDeleo »

Hi all,

I'm repeatedly (without fail) getting a general protection fault after using the hidden keypad in the WorldCorp elevator (I assume it goes to the secret basement). I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 with the Direct3D renderer.

Attached is an image file of the error I get after it crashes to desktop, my TNM.log from the crash, and a DXDiag output file with my system information. I've been absolutely loving TNM so far, so i'd really appreciate any help people can give to get this fixed. It's like those cliff-hanger endings from Lost. I wanna know what's in the basement :smile:

Thanks in advance,

NoxDeleo.
Attachments
DXDiag and Log.zip
Log and DXDiag output file (sorry they're zipped but it wouldn't allow the extensions).
(16.97 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Error screenshot.
Error screenshot.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: General protection fault: level change to WorldCorp basement

Post by Jaedar »

Welcome to the forums, on the plus side you make a correct assumption and provide lots of information. On the bad side, I have no idea what causes your error, so I'm gonna go with the good old, try to restart the game/computer and try again, or try to exit and reenter the map and use the keypad, or use the keypad from another floor. You could also try to switch render(instruction in manual) if you really want to.
NoxDeleo wrote:Thanks in advance
Can't say I deserve it :)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hmm interesting, don't think we've got that before.

First of all, have you patched to version 1.0.2?

Do you always use the keypad from the same floor? If not, try another floor like Jaedar suggests. If this happens for all floors, try typing "travel 20_wcsublevel" into the console and see if it'll let you load the map. If it won't, come back here and we'll have another groupthink about it.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
whatsim
Mole Person

Post by whatsim »

I'm having an issue I suspect is related. I am fully patched.

When attempting to leave the Partyzone I (without fail) get a GPF, interestingly, it comes in one of two flavors, a longer error, and a shorter one, I'm uploading the shorter one's log since I don't have a copy of the long one.

I have attempted to load a handful of other maps through the console, tried limiting the game to one core, completely reinstalling, copying the game to and running it on my laptop, different render settings, disabling hardware, all sorts of stuff, all, so far, to no avail.

Any ideas?
Attachments
log.zip
log and dxdiag output
(9.46 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
NoxDeleo
Mole Person

Post by NoxDeleo »

Thanks for the quick replies :D

I'm all patched up to 1.02 (did it before I began playing the game). It seems i'm getting the error whenever I try to leave that level, whether it's changing to another floor in the elevator, by the stairs, or even using the travel command as you suggested. I already tried changing renderer to OpenGL, but unfortunately that didn't stop the error.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Had that stuff happen to me in the Goat Templae(TM) after sinking the fountain (an old 1.0.1 bug). It seems to be something in the savefile itself, since it only happened with that one specific save, and not when using another save to enter and exit the Templae.

So; sadly... you have to revert to an older save. Hopefully you saved often and in different slots...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah as Hassat says, reverting to an old save is probably the only real solution. Sorry guys :?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
whatsim
Mole Person

Post by whatsim »

I suspected as much. No huge loss, started over playing through a different way, great thing about Deus Ex (and TNM) right?

Thanks guys.