I'm trying to alter deusex.u

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Mathalor
Thug

I'm trying to alter deusex.u

Post by Mathalor »

I am a new to editing and this is probably a newbie question.

I'm using v2. I downloaded a deusexsdk that I found using google. I can't find any help topics within it and I've been searching the internet trying to figure out how to do this. I want to change the hazmat suits to protect against electricity, emp, and fire. I see tools to open specific maps. I can "compile scripts," which doesn't seem to accomplish much. I'm so lost. Can someone help me?

Edit: I get the impression from many posts that I've read while searching that there's a tutorial somewhere on this site, but I haven't been able to find it, and I've been searching for an hour. Perhaps this is just my poor search skills.
Mathalor
Thug

Re: I'm trying to alter deusex.u

Post by Mathalor »

Okay, after some more searching, I opened my editor, clicked on classes on the right, exported all, then exited the editor. I went to the file deusexplayer and opened the .uc file with notepad, and altered the hazmat source. I then exited notepad, opened command prompt, figured out how to use command prompt, changed directories and ran ucc make. Now when I run my deus ex I get the error : Failed to find object 'Class DeusEx.DeusExGameInfo'

What did I do wrong?

Edit: Got it working. still don't know what that error was about, but I repeated the process. Oh and apparantly damage types are burned, shocked, flamed, and EMP, not fire and electricity like I had originally supposed.
Mathalor
Thug

Post by Mathalor »

Okay, well it works, but apparantly some of the v2 bugs no longer are fixed. I just started a new game with my old inventory.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Generally speaking, you don't want to alter deusex.u. Just make your own package.
Mathalor
Thug

Post by Mathalor »

I'm sorry, what's the difference?
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

You could modify deusex.u, but this can cause problems and even more when you want to share your mod with others.

You can create your own package by following this tutorial here:

http://www.planetdeusex.com/constructor ... eclass.htm
Mathalor
Thug

Post by Mathalor »

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find a good tutorial before. This is at least a piece of one. The link to the master page is dead though. http://www.planetdeusex.com/constructor/
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Mathalor
Thug

Post by Mathalor »

Ah, thank you.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

SilverSpook wrote:You could modify deusex.u, but this can cause problems and even more when you want to share your mod with others.

You can create your own package by following this tutorial here:

http://www.planetdeusex.com/constructor ... eclass.htm
I know I ask this out as much as not knowing as knowing what I do, but wouldn't this only be good if you are creating new objects as opposed to changing the older ones as they appear in the game already? To look at the OP's original task, wouldn't the best you can do out of creating your own package be to create a MyHazmatSuit class descending from the original with the changes that you would subsequently have to summon into the game purposefully (or add to the map) to get to use? I know from other conversations that this seems to be why HDTP/Shifter/et. al replaces Deusex.u and doesn't modify it around. It seems from what I see there isn't any good way to truly alter existing game objects without touching Deusex.u.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

If you want to do some simple modification of existing Deus Ex items, maps, etc. (i.e. you're not making your own) then you'd have to modify deusex.u I think, yeah.

The trade off of course is compatibility with other mods.
Jack90
UNATCO

Post by Jack90 »

Anti-Slip Rungs: Ladders with anti-slip rungs provide a secure foothold, reducing the risk of slipping and falling. Look for ladders with textured or ribbed rungs. https://laddersafetyrules.com/best-step-ladder-2023/
michaelarrington
Mole Person

Post by michaelarrington »

Modding can be a continuous learning process. As you gain more experience, you can take on more 2048 complex modding tasks.