Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Lork wrote:The crossbow plays the stealth pistol's firing sound instead of its own. This is because PlayFiringSound() automatically replaces the sound of any weapon that's silenced with the stealth pistol sound.

You can fix the problem by overriding PlayFiringSound() in WeaponMiniCrossbow like so:

Code: Select all

//Justice: Plays the correct sound when firing the crossbow
simulated function PlayFiringSound()
{
	PlaySimSound( FireSound, SLOT_None, TransientSoundVolume, 2048 );
}
Also, related to the targeting aug displaying the bindname of things instead of their actual name, it does a similar thing with weapons. For some reason, instead of the weapon's actual name, it displays the name of the weapon's class converted to a string, so you'll get "WeaponShuriken" instead of "Throwing Knives". You can pretty easily change it to display the name of the item, but some weapons don't have a name, so you'll see "DEFAULT WEAPON NAME - REPORT THIS AS A BUG". What I did was make it so that if a weapon has a name, it will be used, and if not, the original method will be used.

My fix:

In AugmentationDisplayWindow.DrawTargetAugmentation(), replace

str = str @ target.GetItemName(String(Pawn(target).Weapon.Class));
with

if(Pawn(target).Weapon.ItemName == class'DeusExWeapon'.Default.ItemName) //Justice: If the weapon has a name...
	str = str @ target.GetItemName(String(Pawn(target).Weapon.Class));
else
	str = str @ Pawn(target).Weapon.ItemName; //Justice: ...Use it
These are both being implemented. Thank you a ton.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

Y|yukichigai wrote:
Lork wrote:Snip
These are both being implemented. Thank you a ton.
Hey, that's great, but make sure you take my update to the crossbow fix into account:
Lork wrote:It turns out that the firing sound is supposed to be handled by ammo types, so you'll need to add this line to the defaultproperties of Dart.uc to complete the "fix":

SpawnSound=Sound'DeusExSounds.Weapons.MiniCrossbowFire'
Otherwise the sound will stop playing when you load a different type of ammo into the crossbow. And instead of my original change, PlayFiringSound() should be overrided with an empty function, or it'll be twice as loud until you change ammo types.

This is starting to look more like restored content than a straight up bug fix, so I guess it's up to the community/Yuki whether it's appropriate or not.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Wow, okay, I fixed a lot of stuff now, much of it bugs I've never heard of before that were pointed out by Lork. So, y'know, golf clap and whatnot. Good jorb!

Anyway, the feedback here has been really quite good; I'm getting a good idea of what people do and don't want changed as a community. There are a number of things though that I think deserve some additional attention.

1) Ammo pickup counts from corpses: should we change it from getting 1-4 rounds of ammo from corpses to something like "between 1 and (4 or half the clip, whichever is higher)"?

2) Hazmat suit: nobody really discussed this (I think I forgot to include it in the bug list) but the Hazmat suit description says it protects against fire, electricity, and EMP, in addition to everything else, which it currently DOES NOT.

Any input on other bugs is still welcomed.

Oh yes, with regards to the "date" issue, I seem to recall that there's only ONE bit of text besides the "Inception Date" list that contradicts the 2052 number, in a newspaper or something. Otherwise I think the argument that the Inception Date list doesn't mean the same as "put in the clone tank" is valid; it's 2052.

EDIT: The HazMat Suit description says it resists EMP as well
Last edited by Y|yukichigai on Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Y|yukichigai wrote: 1) Ammo pickup counts from corpses: should we change it from getting 1-4 rounds of ammo from corpses to something like "between 1 and (4 or half the clip, whichever is higher)"?

2) Hazmat suit: nobody really discussed this (I think I forgot to include it in the bug list) but the Hazmat suit description says it protects against fire and electricity in addition to everything else, which it currently DOES NOT.
I say fix. Fix em good. How do you define how much a clip is though? Because 10mm for example has a clip size of 6 if it goes into a regular gun, but 10 in a stealth pistol. Based on what the enemy is using I guess? And it should probably always be between 1 and ½ of clip, for consistency :P
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Jaedar wrote:
Y|yukichigai wrote: 1) Ammo pickup counts from corpses: should we change it from getting 1-4 rounds of ammo from corpses to something like "between 1 and (4 or half the clip, whichever is higher)"?

2) Hazmat suit: nobody really discussed this (I think I forgot to include it in the bug list) but the Hazmat suit description says it protects against fire and electricity in addition to everything else, which it currently DOES NOT.
I say fix. Fix em good. How do you define how much a clip is though? Because 10mm for example has a clip size of 6 if it goes into a regular gun, but 10 in a stealth pistol. Based on what the enemy is using I guess? And it should probably always be between 1 and ½ of clip, for consistency :P
As little as it may make sense, ammo pickups on corpses are actually what you get from finding WEAPONS on corpses. The game sees the weapon, sees if you have it, and if you do it substitutes the appropriate ammo, then later COMPLETELY ignores any actual ammo the NPC has on them. In this case, "½ of a clip" will mean ½ of the clip of whatever weapon the dead NPC has (so 1-15 if they had an AR, 1-5 for a Stealth Pistol, 1-50 for a Flamethrower, etc.).
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

How about a bug from the Ford Shick content restored by Shifter (and this patch)?

If you don't have room in your inventory when Ford tries to give you his upgrade canister, the conversation will just end, and it'll be gone forever.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Lork wrote:How about a bug from the Ford Shick content restored by Shifter (and this patch)?

If you don't have room in your inventory when Ford tries to give you his upgrade canister, the conversation will just end, and it'll be gone forever.
Yeah... that's gonna be a hard one to handle. I may have to do something wonky there along the lines of having one magically drop from the sky in front of Ford or something. Still, doable.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

Man, I am like a magnet for bizarre, incredibly specific bugs, or something. The mall police in front of the Lucky Money all have a familiar name of "Eddie Way", which you can find out by talking to them. Apparently the Chinese military employ cloning technology to keep their numbers up.

Sort of related: All of the police in Hong Kong will let you go about your business even if you have a weapon out. Except for Officer Tam, the guy in front of the ATM on the market street. This guy will go for the alarm next to him and then open fire the instant he catches sight of you holding a gun. That would be really annoying if you hadn't saved in a while.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Lork wrote:Man, I am like a magnet for bizarre, incredibly specific bugs, or something.
I think you're just a good bugtester. Those are rare. Remember this.

I'm sort of curious what kinds of things you've noticed in TNM. Any mod for that matter.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

Y|yukichigai wrote:
Lork wrote:Man, I am like a magnet for bizarre, incredibly specific bugs, or something.

I'm sort of curious what kinds of things you've noticed in TNM. Any mod for that matter.
The only one that I remember is that Trestkon's bank account would refill every time you changed maps, at least when you accessed it from certain ATMs. I think I actually reported that one in the TNM patch thread, though.

As for other mods... I did find one in Shifter: Objects thrown with microfibral muscle don't count as being "from the player", so NPCs don't react as if you'd attacked them. You can go around murdering people by breaking chairs over their head with impunity.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Lork wrote:
Y|yukichigai wrote:

The only one that I remember is that Trestkon's bank account would refill every time you changed maps, at least when you accessed it from certain ATMs. I think I actually reported that one in the TNM patch thread, though.

As for other mods... I did find one in Shifter: Objects thrown with microfibral muscle don't count as being "from the player", so NPCs don't react as if you'd attacked them. You can go around murdering people by breaking chairs over their head with impunity.
...good catch. I never thought of that, but... yeah... heh. I'll have to add code to fix that.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Y|yukichigai wrote:1) Ammo pickup counts from corpses: should we change it from getting 1-4 rounds of ammo from corpses to something like "between 1 and (4 or half the clip, whichever is higher)"?
I stand with my original opinion, that it changes balance too much to be in a "patch".
2) Hazmat suit: nobody really discussed this (I think I forgot to include it in the bug list) but the Hazmat suit description says it protects against fire, electricity, and EMP, in addition to everything else, which it currently DOES NOT.
Fix it.
Lork wrote:Sort of related: All of the police in Hong Kong will let you go about your business even if you have a weapon out. Except for Officer Tam, the guy in front of the ATM on the market street. This guy will go for the alarm next to him and then open fire the instant he catches sight of you holding a gun. That would be really annoying if you hadn't saved in a while.
Ehm, I checked all maps in the DX editor and all HK military police have bHateWeapons = True, with the exception of the one next to the Queen's Tower and the 4 in the mall. All in the market or canals should be gunning for you. :-k

For added weirdness; in the canals, only the cop near the tea house actually minds being shot ;), or hates loud noises. He has all reactions set to true when others got several falses.

EDIT: Okay, I checked (through TNM, if that makes a difference) and indeed, only tam and the one patrolling on top of the cop station mind weaponry. So... why? Also noticed the canal cops completely don't mind the savage murder of their partner :D (hmm, they are set to react to shots. This is getting weirder and weirder).
Also, it seems those accoustic sensors work after all. Alarms turn the Luminous Path members bonkers as well though, and the one in the canals does nothing because it isn't tied to any alarms.

EDIT2: Synched up everything between the teahouse cop and tam... and... nothing. WTF DX? I get the feeling him having a convo overwrites stuff or something. Still doesn't explain the canalcops weird behavior though.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Ehm, I checked all maps in the DX editor and all HK military police have bHateWeapons = True, with the exception of the one next to the Queen's Tower and the 4 in the mall. All in the market or canals should be gunning for you. :-k

For added weirdness; in the canals, only the cop near the tea house actually minds being shot ;), or hates loud noises. He has all reactions set to true when others got several falses.

EDIT: Okay, I checked (through TNM, if that makes a difference) and indeed, only tam and the one patrolling on top of the cop station mind weaponry. So... why? Also noticed the canal cops completely don't mind the savage murder of their partner :D (hmm, they are set to react to shots. This is getting weirder and weirder).
Also, it seems those accoustic sensors work after all. Alarms turn the Luminous Path members bonkers as well though, and the one in the canals does nothing because it isn't tied to any alarms.

EDIT2: Synched up everything between the teahouse cop and tam... and... nothing. WTF DX? I get the feeling him having a convo overwrites stuff or something. Still doesn't explain the canalcops weird behavior though.
Check to see if they have bLookingForWeapon set to true.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Hassat Hunter wrote: I stand with my original opinion, that it changes balance too much to be in a "patch".
I guess the question we must ask ourselves is if the devs intended high clip weapons to be reliant on static ammo or if it's a design oversight. I believe it is an oversight. The two weapons it will affect greatly are the flamethrower(which is good imo) and the assault rifle. The latter may be a problem as rifles are a bit overpowered already imo, but it won't affect balance that severely.

Of course if all weapons are between 1-½clip it will mean that darts and rockets(?) and maybe sniper ammo will be a rarer. But for many weapons 4 is close to ½clip anyway IIRC.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

I have a bug I get a lot in GotY.

JC dies, it plays the death anim, then it plays the reloading anim, and then JC goes back to lying on the ground.
Usually happens when he dies while reloading, but not always, and sometimes when he's holding non-ammo weapons like the DTS.
EDIT: Similar thing happens when dying while shooting.
Last edited by Angel-A on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.