Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
~DJ~
UNATCO

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP

Post by ~DJ~ »

Oh yeah, I see it.. amazing, never noticed it!
Darma
UNATCO

Post by Darma »

My god, how much secret will we discover in this game?
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

not.. secrets.
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

THE GRAMMAR BUURRRRNEEHHS

So, IS anyone managing this project? I really hope it hasn't died... :(
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

'NOT A SECRET'.. NO BURNING NOW M8.

yeah, hope it's still being worked on.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

At Castle Clinton in Battery Park; if you went in through the front, the game assumes you went crazy with guns. If you go through the secret entrance, Sam (and others) will respond differently.

This should be fixed.
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

DDentonas wrote:At Castle Clinton in Battery Park; if you went in through the front, the game assumes you went crazy with guns. If you go through the secret entrance, Sam (and others) will respond differently.

This should be fixed.
That said, it's pretty difficult to get through that way without getting caught and consequently unleashing Anna on those poor NSF troopers.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

This project is sort of on hold until Yuki returns, but if I don't post these now I'm probably going to forget about them. Plus we can still discuss their appropriateness.

-Missing "Armor ricochet" sound when shooting armored targets like bots, cameras, turrets etc.
-The player can trigger the reload animation for their weapon when they shouldn't (eg. Their clip is full, or they have no spare ammo).
-NPCs don't use the full range of "pain" sounds, resulting in exclamations of "OOF!" when drowning, breathing in poison gas, and so on.
-Computers make the player invisible; this was technically intended by the designers, but come on, really?
-Speed Enhancement exploit (crouchwalk silently as fast as you can run normally).
-Aggressive Defense targets stationary explosives
-Unconscious NPCs can't be killed; in our "discussion" of this on the last few pages, we never got around to talking about whether it would fit in the patch.

So which of these would you like to see in the patch? A few of them are in a bit more of a grey area than the others, but I figured I'd see what the community thought of them before discounting them completely.
Babeuf97
Thug

Post by Babeuf97 »

Lork wrote:-Missing "Armor ricochet" sound when shooting armored targets like bots, cameras, turrets etc.
-The player can trigger the reload animation for their weapon when they shouldn't (eg. Their clip is full, or they have no spare ammo).
-NPCs don't use the full range of "pain" sounds, resulting in exclamations of "OOF!" when drowning, breathing in poison gas, and so on.
Lork wrote:-Speed Enhancement exploit (crouchwalk silently as fast as you can run normally).
These I think can be agreed upon.
Lork wrote:-Computers make the player invisible
While I agree on this one, I think it should be put in a separate patch. Having one patch fixing the bugs and another including gameplay changes like this one as well as cool features (such as broken conversations, etc) may be the best solution.

I don't get your point about the Agressive defense system, though (never used it that much :p). Do you mean it should not detonate planted explosives as it's not explicitely stated in its description? Because even if I don't know how such a system is supposed to work, it would make sense that it detonates every explosive in the area.

And yes, one should definitely be able to kill unconscious NPCs imo. True, it adds nothing from a gameplay perspective since what matters is how you take NPCs down, as someone (I think it was DDL) pointed out earlier in this topic. However, as far as RP is concerned, it might be a fine addition (provided that someone accepts to code this). It may not be a top priority but that's something I'd like to see in Deus ex (same as cigarettes and zyme, they're basically useless still it's fun using them).
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Babeuf97 wrote:-Speed Enhancement exploit (crouchwalk silently as fast as you can run normally).
Didn't know you could do this, and frankly, I think that's more of a feature than a bug. Although it does sort of make silent running pointless, so I guess it should be fixed for that reason alone.
Lork wrote: -Missing "Armor ricochet" sound when shooting armored targets like bots, cameras, turrets etc.
These should be fixed in the standard patch imo.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Lork wrote:-Missing "Armor ricochet" sound when shooting armored targets like bots, cameras, turrets etc.
-Computers make the player invisible; this was technically intended by the designers, but come on, really?
-Speed Enhancement exploit (crouchwalk silently as fast as you can run normally).
-Aggressive Defense targets stationary explosives
-Unconscious NPCs can't be killed; in our "discussion" of this on the last few pages, we never got around to talking about whether it would fit in the patch.
In Order;
-Yes Definalty.
-Yep.
-Yep.
-I guess so with this one, I did find it a little odd that no one would shoot me when using a computer.
-Yeah.
-Whenever you turn the ADS on when there was a planted lam in the level, the beeping would get seriously annoying.
Perhaps not removing the targetting and disabling feature,but removing the beeping.
-Yep. Could someone just steal the TNM Code for that? :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

I suppose I should clarify a few things.

First of all, don't worry about the implementation. I've already coded all of these fixes, and in fact, they're all included in BioMod. If you want to see if you prefer TNM's way of handling unconscious NPCs to mine, or how the computer fix changes the gameplay and so on, you can check it out right now.

Second, let's stop any talk about splitting into two patches right now, for down that path lives only confusion and madness. If somebody wants a version of the patch with extra features and gameplay changes, that option already exists; it's called Shifter or BioMod. This patch is intended to be what the community agrees is the baseline for what anybody playing Deus Ex should have. Anything beyond that belongs in the realm of mods.

The reason I brought up the computer fix was to test the waters a little and see how far we can go before people start becoming uncomfortable with the changes. If we literally can't find anyone who wouldn't want it in their game, then it should probably go in, but on the other hand, if anybody thinks it's not appropriate, then it should probably stay in BioMod.

As for aggressive defense, the reasons for fixing it are threefold:

1. It obviously wasn't intended by the designers. All of the text in the game specifically says it protects you from moving projectiles, and there's even code intended to enforce this, which doesn't work for some reason.

2. The behavior is absurd. It detects all planted grenades anywhere on the map, even if they're half a kilometer away, and constantly assaults your ears with an obnoxious beeping sound until they're all gone. And if you happen to go near any of those grenades, it "helps you out" by blowing them up in your face, which I don't think anybody would really want.

3. Sometimes it detects grenades in sectioned off portions of the map that the player isn't supposed to know about.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Lork wrote:*Above Post*
I pretty much agree with everything you said just there. :mrgreen:
So all those things you mentioned before are included in BioMod?
I have played Liberty Island using BioMod and I was very impressed.

And I see your point about the ADS,
Yeah maybe removing the fact it targets Grenades all together then.
Thrown Grenades will still be detonated before they reach you presumably?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Babeuf97
Thug

Post by Babeuf97 »

Lork wrote:As for aggressive defense, the reasons for fixing it are threefold...
Well, you have a point here (three, actually). It should be fixed.
Lork wrote:Second, let's stop any talk about splitting into two patches right now, for down that path lives only confusion and madness
True. I suggested this only because I didn't know these changes were already included in Biomod. I personally am for the computer fix in standard Deus Ex. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind installing Biomod to have it (I haven't tested your mod yet but I'm happy with the changes you've made), so it's not my call. I'd say let's vote.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Okay, I'm back, sorry about that. Started planning for PAX a few months ago, then got guilted into playing Fallout 3, which you might imagine ate a chunk of my time and then some. (Seriously though, I'd never played it before, ever.) I also did some dinking around with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky. I plan on going back to that and the other games eventually. In the meantime I left this project at sort of an inopportune moment; my bad. Sometimes I'm a bit of a flake. Sorry about that.

Anyway, it's not dead. I'll start poking and prodding at things which have been (for the most part) agreed on.

Also, I've gotten exactly zero requests to have write access to the google code project, and I KNOW some of you are quite handy with code. I really, really want this to be more than just a "me" project, if for no reason other than the fact that I am, after all, occasionally a flake.