Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP

Post by G-Flex »

Deus Ex 2.0 and Shifter both replace the base game package (DeusEx.u).

In other words, you can't use them both. I would think that Shifter already contains most or all of the fixes in Deus Ex 2.0, though, so you're probably already all set.
mqduck
NSF

Post by mqduck »

Is there anything special that needs to be done to use this unofficial patch beyond just replacing System\DeusEx.u with the one provided? I haven't checked anything else, but the pistol downgrade exploit still works for me.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

I would check some other bugs too.

Are you running Windows 7? If so, the problem might be that you installed to a system directory like Program Files and don't have ownership of it, and thus didn't properly overwrite deusex.u. I would either install Deus Ex to a different folder, or take ownership/full control of the Deus Ex folder and its files/subfolders.
mqduck
NSF

Post by mqduck »

I'm running the game in Wine. Just for the hell of it, I just checked and made sure that the DeusEx.u file in the System folder is indeed the one that comes with the patch. Is there another bug that would be easy to check? I know I'm hoping to meet Ford Schick again when I go back to NY, so we'll see by then at least.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I'm not one hundred percent sure but I think that Yuki fixed the Sofa texture bug in Patch2.0 like he did in Shifter.
If you watch the Intro again in Shifter, during the Free Clinic scene, the sofa behind the Doctor should be a light brown colour instead of leather black. If he did fix it for Patch2.0, this should be the same here.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
mqduck
NSF

Post by mqduck »

I found the problem. I was using HDTP and it uses its own DeusEx.u. I wonder if the 2.0 patch is compatible..
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Ahh. No, 2.0 isn't I'm afraid.
At the point in time, only Shifter and I think Human Renovation are the only two mods that utilize Yuki's HDTP workaround.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

That's correct. Shifter replaces textures and meshes on-the-fly to the HDTP versions if you have those installed, and attempts to maintain save compatibility between HDTP and non-HDTP installations. I shamelessly copied this for Human Renovation. IT WAS REALLY TEDIOUS.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

G-Flex wrote:That's correct. Shifter replaces textures and meshes on-the-fly to the HDTP versions if you have those installed, and attempts to maintain save compatibility between HDTP and non-HDTP installations. I shamelessly copied this for Human Renovation. IT WAS REALLY TEDIOUS.
I'm happy that you did. My next Deus Ex play through will be with your work G-Flex. :mrgreen:
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Perhaps later, when HDTP releases you/someone could implement the control settings HDTP will have (allowing the user to select what HDTP to display), on the fan patch or Human Revolution.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

DDL is including a similar feature into HDTP.
I won't be using it personally; I'll take as much HDTP goodness as there is to give. :mrgreen:
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

nerdenstein wrote:DDL is including a similar feature into HDTP.
I won't be using it personally; I'll take as much HDTP goodness as there is to give. :mrgreen:
Yes, exactly. What I meant was to port/copy this functionality to the other mods out there that's modifying DeusEx.u. If the game detects the presence of the HDTP-files it adds GUI to control the HDTP-settings. That way one wouldn't need to use the HDTP DeusEx.u to get all HDTP content and settings, if one already uses DX: HR or the fan patch. Would be great to see this added to Shifter too, but that's Yuki's decision.

Would kind of like to see more Shifter stuff in the fan patch, like Shifters enhanced phone that features a keypad. It wouldn't be noticeable to players, but modders can require the fan patch as a prerequisite and use those features to enable additional content in their mod. The most awesome thing would be that mods that modify DeusEx.u could be based upon the fan patch version, instead of vanilla and thus allow developers the use of these additional features. For example, I want to add Shifters hidden Tracer/Lebadev conversation found in the airfield_helibase map for Revision, but I can't since it depends upon Shifters modified version of different classes to get it to work. If I were to state that the fan patch was required for Revision and if every other DeusEx.u mod (Shifter, Biomod, Enhanced etc.) were to be based upon this fan patch, the problem would be solved.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

I would be somewhat hesitant to implement, say, Shifter's phone keypad into Deus Ex 2.0 or Human Renovation, only because it doesn't have a use in the game as-shipped, so if anything it would just be confusing for players. On principle, it seems kind of odd to implement totally arbitrary changes like that just because some mod or another requires it. If another mod wants to build itself upon 2.0 or Human Renovation, then it'll either be editing DeusEx.u anyway (so can edit the phone class itself) or just include its own package with its own phone class.

I'll look into that Lebedev/Tong conversation, although I'm not sure whether or not I'll implement it.

Also: Implementing those HDTP GUI controls would very likely be doable by having two different classes for the relevant menu and spawning one or the other based on whether or not HDTP is detected. I don't see a problem with that.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

The thing with the phone is that if you don't apply certain properties when you place it in the map, it will act normally, so no change is noticeable for the player. Also Shifters phone adds more phone sounds (if you try to use the phone) that is present as resources, but not used.

If the player is playing the vanilla maps, no problem, since the maps doesn't use the new changes; however any other mod can use the enhanced features and will only require the patch or some of it's derivatives to be installed to be able to play. It would simply break compatibility with too many mods if each mod needed a custom DeusEx.u file, so what I think is best is to implement all behind the scenes changes Shifter/other mods makes that are not really apparent to the player, but may benefit developers.

There are almost too many mods out there that modify DeusEx.u. Some because they need to modify some low level vanilla code, to get theirs working properly. One way to reduce this problem would be to make the fan patch the new BASE on which everything is built. All mods that modify DeusEx.u would be based upon this patch, and this patch would then include popular fixes and useful features for mod developers to use. It wouldn't hurt end users and it wouldn't hurt developers.

With all that said I could get around the phone issue by making a new phone based upon Shifters; problem is that this phone depends upon changes in other classes like the KeypadRootWindow, which I have to copy as well. I would end up copying a lot of stuff from Shifter just to implement the phone while this could have been done in the patch that already have a phone class.

Edit: Added some stuff.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

bjorn98009_91 wrote: It would simply break compatibility with too many mods if each mod needed a custom DeusEx.u file, so what I think is best is to implement all behind the scenes changes Shifter/other mods makes that are not really apparent to the player, but may benefit developers.
I already mentioned that this wouldn't be necessary. Someone making a mod that requires a new type of phone or whatever can implement it in their own package separate from DeusEx.u. There is no reason to place your own stuff in DeusEx.u unless you have a good reason to be overwriting the base classes in the first place.

There are almost too many mods out there that modify DeusEx.u. Some because they need to modify some low level vanilla code, to get theirs working properly. One way to reduce this problem would be to make the fan patch the new BASE on which everything is built. All mods that modify DeusEx.u would be based upon this patch, and this patch would then include popular fixes and useful features for mod developers to use. It wouldn't hurt end users and it wouldn't hurt developers.
With all that said I could get around the phone issue by making a new phone based upon Shifters; problem is that this phone depends upon changes in other classes like the KeypadRootWindow, which I have to copy as well. I would end up copying a lot of stuff from Shifter just to implement the phone while this could have been done in the patch that already have a phone class.
Eh, fair enough I guess? I might do it, if and when I get the chance.