Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Morpheus wrote:
"Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station."

Plays first visit to Hell's Kitchen.
Didn't know about that either. But that does not seem right for current DX as you start in Battery Park, you don't know about South Street until after that incident and JC couldn't have known before that and he could not have sent Paul that message either as there was no time for him to do so between Liberty Island and NYC mission. Maybe originally the NYC mission 1 was different slightly and why this was in game but now removed?
The message isn't from JC. I said it explains why Paul is APPARENTLY meeting JC at the subway station, i.e. he was meeting someone else and JC just happened to be there.
Also if it has not been mentioned, can you fix it so that if you save Ford Schick in the first NYC mission, he reappears in the last NYC mission (where you talk to Dowd) as they forgot to put him in the map and he has a conversation with JC too.
Already done. One of the first things I fixed. I've also fixed (added a workaround, really) to the problem in Ford's final conversation with JC where he tries to give you an Augmentation Upgrade Canister and fails.
Is there a fix for the sound issue that the sounds just always play crackly and not playing properly? I have a Creative X-fi sound and sometimes I get this issue with sound not playing right
Unfortunately that's a driver interaction issue and not one of my strengths. Whoever handled ogg/etc. stuff for TNM might be able to help though.
Unused VOIP conversation between Lebedev and the unknown party
Whats this?
The "unknown party" is someone you know if you've played the game before, but who doesn't appear until later in the game. It does add a slightly different spin to that person's character though....
Anyone else noticed an error with HK maps when you try to go through from WanChi Market to Canals, the teleporter does not always work? (not canal road tunnel)
Never seen this. If you can figure out a way to semi-reliably reproduce it, and can then send me a save file, I can test it though. Are you using GOTY or the patched retail version?
Fix infinite skill points from where you Save Tiffany Savage at the Gas Station then Proceed with the game (you have to save her first). When you uploaded the UC components, go back to where Jock and Savage are, talk to Savage with full inventory.

He gives you an Augmentation Upgrade Canister, but you can't carry it. You recieve 500 Skill Points. Talk to him again and the same lines are said. You recieve 500 Skill Points again. Repeat this until you have enough, drop some inventory, talk again. You recieve the Canister and get a last 500 Skill Points, go in the Helicopter to proceed with the game.
This is part of that "?" item relating to "bTriggerOnceOnly". The variable is for triggers (like skillpoint triggers) and does what it sounds like; the problem is that it doesn't do that when keypads or whatnot trigger the trigger, only when JC walks through a specific area. Almost every infinite skillpoint loop is caused by this.

I've left it as a "maybe" because I'm afraid fixing that game-wide might cause problems with other mods if they rely on the way that functionality works (or doesn't). There's even a risk it may cause issues in the normal game. It's clearly a coding oversight though... we'll see.
Lockpicks and Multitools bug. This lets upgrading Lockpicking or Electronics Skills makes you use less Lockpicks or Multitools.
Lockpicking at untrained the lock strength is 60%, you need 6 Picks (1 pick per 10%). Then if you upgrade it to Trained, you will only need 3 Pics.

But, use this does the same. But I see it as cheating, which I DON'T from the
above bug:

- Start picking the lock.
- Press F1 to enter the Inventory Screen.
- After a while, for about 10 seconds, depends on the lock's strength, you
return to the game.
- How great the lock was doesn't matter, you picked the lock with 1 lockpick.
- The same counts for Bypassing.
This is a two-part fix which I've done with Shifter already. The first part, fixing it so you have to use the right amount of picks/etc., is an easy fix, maybe two lines of code. However, the second part, making it so that picking/bypassing doesn't continue while the game is paused, is a VERY involved fix spanning multiple classes. I've also yet to find a way to do it that is 100% effective and accurate; either the fix will still allow for a narrow window in which the exploit can work, or it will impair normal gameplay in subtle ways. It's a very difficult problem and not one I'm sure there will ever be a proper fix for.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

chris the cynic wrote:In addition to the things you've brought up there, and Ford, I don't think that the red arrow member telling you Maggie and Paul are married conversation is in the released game. Also, there is a conversation for if you rescued Ford before talking to Smuggler even though it is impossible to do this without cheating. A simple way to restore that content would be to hide a sewer key somewhere so that you could get in the sewers before meeting Smuggler.

It isn't just conversations that didn't make the cut into the final game. Some data cubes also didn't. One very useful one explained why there were a bunch of old emails on a computer in Area 51, but it wasn't in the map. (At least I was told it wasn't in the map.)

Here's the text of the one I'm talking about:

Alain, I don't have much time -- I managed to hack into the archives maintained by Helios. It was... amazing. There were files and messages in there going back almost a hundred years, names of things I've only heard people whisper about as rumors. I barely had time to get my bearings before the ice started to come down, and I just managed to snag a few e-mails that had been recently accessed before I was cut off. I don't think anyone noticed, but I've got to go back on shift now or else someone really will be suspicious. If you get a chance, find my machine and see if you can make anything out of what I recovered.

Login: jshears
Password: momerath

Julia

Without which the player really has no idea why there are emails from decades ago pulled up on that computer.
I was completely unaware of or had forgotten all of these. I've seen the early conversation with Smuggler (Flag editing FTW) but I sort of filed it away and forgot it. The mention of Paul and Maggie being married was something I'd heard mentioned but I always assumed the resources never made it into the game, as with the supposed Lunar and White House missions. And I COMPLETELY did not know about that missing datacube at all. In the MJ12 labs under UNATCO there's a datacube which regularly falls out of the level which contains some login/password information; it may be a situation like that. I'll have to load up Area 51 with Shifter and check log files (Shifter makes gigantic loud log entries whenever a datacube leaves the map).
Morpheus wrote:
"Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station."

Plays first visit to Hell's Kitchen.
Didn't know about that either. But that does not seem right for current DX as you start in Battery Park, you don't know about South Street until after that incident and JC couldn't have known before that and he could not have sent Paul that message
I'm pretty sure JC wasn't the one sending the message. I haven't heard it, but based on the description and the content I'm guessing it was someone else, presumably an NSF contact.
That was my assumption. For new players though it wouldn't be very obvious, and would kind of be an "ah hah" moment once Paul's true alliances become clear.
Unused VOIP conversation between Lebedev and the unknown party
Whats this?
Don't know for sure but my guess would be this (italics indicate the author's comments)

The player overhears this through a speaker. Tong and Lebedev are talking to each other over an encrypted Internet audio connection.
JuanLebedev It's Paul's brother.
TracerTong Kill him. We can't take the chance.
JuanLebedev I can talk to him.
TracerTong Just get out of there. We lost the shipment but you can still bring me a sample. A few milliliters is enough.
JuanLebedev Trust me. He'll come over. UNATCO has a habit of overindoctrinating their agents. It'll backfire, just like with Paul.
TracerTong This socket is being monitored. Signing off.
Yeah, that's the conversation. I implemented it in Shifter a little differently than the comments suggested, but mostly because the intention of having the voices both come from some speaker would take a LOT of hacky tricks with the conversation code as it is... oh wait. Crap. I just realized a way I can make it "come from a speaker". Maybe. We'll see. Fingers crossed and whatnot.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Another suggestion, plus Google Code project now available

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Just put up a project on Google Code with what I have so far. Feel free to peruse it. The project name is "deusexv2". Homepage is http://code.google.com/p/deusexv2/. It uses SVN, so you should install some kind of SVN client for ease. I recommend Tortoise SVN, which integrates with the Windows shell and makes it real easy to checkout and compile.

Anybody interested in contributing should email me (yukichigai at gmail) to be given permissions to edit project contents, though if you're not DDL, someone else from the TNM team or someone I know well you'll need someone to vouch for you. Oh yeah, you'll probably need a google account to use this.

EDIT: Something else also occurred to me: this doesn't have to be limited to code fixes. This can be changes to the actual map files and what have you, if necessary. If any of you mappers out there can think of glitches, bugs, or shortcomings in existing Deus Ex maps which could use fixing then PLEASE suggest things. Good examples are the lack of music in NYC mission 8 and the non-moving statue door in Maggie Chow's apartment (both CAN be fixed by code, but in a hacky, roundabout way. Supplying the non-GOTY versions of the maps would be the more "proper" fix).

The only thing that's coming to mind which I haven't already mentioned is Manderley's infamous walled-up safe. Of course, that falls into the realm of "new content", but you get my point.

Oh yeah, the same goes for any other non-code resource. Textures, sounds, conversations, what have you.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: Another suggestion, plus Google Code project now available

Post by justanotherfan »

ggrotz wrote:I set a Llama on fire and he took out the stone tablets for me. Guess it's one of those things...
Hah, that happened to me once too. I got one alarmed somehow, and he ran through the tablets.
Y|yukichigai wrote:If any of you mappers out there can think of glitches, bugs, or shortcomings in existing Deus Ex maps which could use fixing then PLEASE suggest things.
Hmm, nope. Probably none of those anywhere. Not in Deus Ex. Kidding

Thanks for making this patch.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well there's the invisible wall BSP error in the Hong Kong Canals, and I believe there's a Hall of Mirrors BSP error in Vandenburg, but I would rather fuck a cactus than attempt to fix either of those.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jonas wrote:Well there's the invisible wall BSP error in the Hong Kong Canals, and I believe there's a Hall of Mirrors BSP error in Vandenburg, but I would rather fuck a cactus than attempt to fix either of those.
Hall of Mirrors?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jonas wrote:and I believe there's a Hall of Mirrors BSP error in Vandenburg,
An HOM? Like in DOOM?
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Great project!

Thanks for this! =D>
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

Just a small bug to report: The description of the hazmat suit claims that it will protect you from fire, electric and EMP damage when it actually does no such thing. I think the fact that nobody else seems to have noticed this is a testament to how useless the hazmat is, but there you go.
Theshadots
NSF

Post by Theshadots »

Not all of them are bugs NPC are stupid some times attacking you and missing and starting fights with allies. It not fix able or I wont be able to get the PDX guards to attack random people (gliching them is fun ^ ^)

(Un fun glitches Some glitches suck such as the paul glitch when you fight MID who raid his room and he random attack you) (Paul + 1 MID + 2 troops = Unfair O.o)

(But there is a ton of glitches in DX and TNM) (I need to find a job as bug finder ^ ^(
Theshadots
NSF

Post by Theshadots »

Not all of them are bugs NPC are stupid some times attacking you and missing and starting fights with allies. It not fix able or I wont be able to get the PDX guards to attack random people (gliching them is fun ^ ^)

(Un fun glitches Some glitches suck such as the paul glitch when you fight MID who raid his room and he random attack you) (Paul + 1 MID + 2 troops = Unfair O.o)

(But there is a ton of glitches in DX and TNM) (I need to find a job as bug finder ^ ^(
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Theshadots wrote:Not all of them are bugs NPC are stupid some times attacking you and missing and starting fights with allies. It not fix able or I wont be able to get the PDX guards to attack random people.
Actually that's stupidly easy to fix, by making an alliance bPermanent = True.
Both DX and TNM don't always do that because it's pretty lame though.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Lork wrote:Just a small bug to report: The description of the hazmat suit claims that it will protect you from fire, electric and EMP damage when it actually does no such thing. I think the fact that nobody else seems to have noticed this is a testament to how useless the hazmat is, but there you go.
Hah, shit: you're right. I guess I always just assumed it was only good vs poison since that's all they make you use it for in the training mission. Shows how much I read...
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Just a small bug to report: The description of the hazmat suit claims that it will protect you from fire, electric and EMP damage when it actually does no such thing. I think the fact that nobody else seems to have noticed this is a testament to how useless the hazmat is, but there you go
Wow, never actually red the description of that, but I only thought it protected you from radiation/poisoning or something.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Don't we all?

After all, that's what haz-mat suits are for...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...