Since my last "What to do with these" thread was hijacked, thought it would be better to start a new one on this.
I have had this idea for a long time but due to other commitments including moved house in August, finishing college (will graduate in November and trying to get everything I need to finish done by end of month), working to start up my web design business, working on a new version of my website: http://www.daveslepidoptera.com
and working on videos for my new youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
and several other life things, I have not had much time to do a mod. I have had ideas I have started but had to put on back burner due to other commitments.
Like Wildcat Phoenix, I love Deus Ex, my favourite all time game and have had lots of mod ideas floating around including lots of unused coding, scripts, conversations, textures etc... After graduating, I'll have more time to work on a mod since I won't be starting up my business until January/Feb next year and most of the videos I am working on for my youtube channel, I can do there and then (one day and one night week is all it takes), so I have decided to get back into modding and make a serious go of this.
My mod idea is a Deus Ex mod based on Star Trek. I love Star Trek and have seen every single episode since the first one (all more than twice) and movies more than once, so I have a great deal of knowledge of Star Trek universe. The idea I have is:
- Play as "Ensign" JC Denton from the starship USS Morpheus. You'll move up to Lieutenant somepoint in the storyline.
- Main Characters in Deus Ex will feature in the mod as important Starfleet members such as Starship captains, Commanders, Admirals etc...
- Augmentation system will become "add-ons" for the Hazard suit that JC wears (his trench coat with new textures) Hazard suit idea from Star Trek Voyager Elite Force game
- Infolinks will become transmissions.
- Uniforms will be based on The Next Generation uniforms for Starfleet.
- New alien races
- New starfleet ships including: USS Morpheus, USS Daedalus, USS Icarus and USS Helios
- New Weapons (trying to make a tricorder too which I think shouldn't be too difficult to code)
- New music
- New Textures
- New Maps
- New code for this and that (have not figured what that is yet but I have unused code I can use)
- SP version of MP to use as holodeck maps. Kill an NPC and they respawn, or get killed and you respawn - not figured how to do this yet so this will have to wait.
My main issues (why I have not started this mod sooner, except for what I mentioned above):
- I have some Star Trek ship meshes, but all are either too high polygon count or require too many textures for the UED/Game to handle. If I could get someone to help me with meshes for ships, that would be a great load of the mod since much of the mod will revolve around seeing the ships in action.
- Beam in/out, how to get NPCs and Player to look as if they are beaming somewhere like in Star Trek
- Disintegration. Some weapons in Star Trek can disintegrate something when fired and when you do this with a weapon, it should look like the object turns flaming orange then slowly fades away as well as a sound playing showing its disintegrated.
- Need new weapons meshes but I am not good at making meshes like that, if someone could help, be great.
The last two there have been done already in DS9 the fallen game which uses the Unreal 1 engine, so might have to look at the coding there to see how its done and if I can tweak the code to work in Deus Ex.
My first idea is to do about 4 maps with an intro for a start and see how it goes from there and then I can add on missions and maps as I feel I am able instead of taking on a huge task and never finishing it. I may need a little help now and then, but will be doing most of this myself as I know others either don't have time or can't for whatever reasons, give much or any help to me, but I will require one person to help me with meshes and that is really it.