So, about the UDK

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Venom3
Thug

Re: So, about the UDK

Post by Venom3 »

@Suvlaco

Well, I built a very, very huge brush and added it into the world.
Then I imported the brush and I was able to subtract the map with no problems. :)

The rebuilding of the maps could take some time, but actually you don't need to rebuild that often, because you don't change anything on the geometry (well... maybe with the lights ;) ) The most of the time I worked on the materials, only about one hour in the UDK itself, because I only need to create and apply the materials.

Another issue you'll have I guess, is a lighting issue. If you add a light into the game, it won't affect the geometry. Just hit SHIFT+A (or SHIFT+S... something to select all Faces) and open up its properties. Then tick "Accept lights", and maybe the other stuff too, if you need to.

And then, the rest is texturing!

@loony636

I know that the UDK is not really a game, and creating a whole game really needs a whole team. But I just love Deus Ex. And it's satisfying to see the game "with new eyes"; listening to it's music, while enjoying the graphics.
The maximum I could do is a little "standalone-UnrealTournament-based-DeusEx-style-shooter" (:D). Just recreating some maps and you just kill each other on it... I know it doesn't sound impressive, but it's enough for me, because I can't script, I can't model professional objects, can't create sound and music...
I just do it to give my all-time-favourite a "New Vision" :P

But I could add the Deus Ex models to the game! I did that once... It's not my first time I created something from the DeusEx-universe. I once recreated Champs Élyseés, and there were the bots. Well, they were static, but it also looked pretty good! No HD-Textures for that... But it looked pretty good anyways when the lights are glowing, the metal is reflecting and all that good stuff that didn't work in UnrealEngine 1.

Hehe, maybe if we find some people who love Deus Ex and are able to script, or to model, or to texture etc. we could make our own team to do something like Black Mesa: Source :D Well, but it's still not that easy I suppose, and it won't be free :P
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

Yeah, after my last post I managed to properly import the maps and so on, but there's still issues with the door ways due to the way UDK is Additive rather than Subtractive, so you have to go through every area and split the brushes were the doors are and manually recreate them.

That said, due to the rather simple nature of the DX maps, it wouldn't be that difficult to simply recreate them by hand. It would take a little longer, but allow for more detail and fine tuning and so on.
I've been playing with this in regards to the Training Level so I'll see how it goes over the next week and maybe show some off.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Suvlaco wrote:Yeah, after my last post I managed to properly import the maps and so on, but there's still issues with the door ways due to the way UDK is Additive rather than Subtractive, so you have to go through every area and split the brushes were the doors are and manually recreate them.

That said, due to the rather simple nature of the DX maps, it wouldn't be that difficult to simply recreate them by hand. It would take a little longer, but allow for more detail and fine tuning and so on.
I've been playing with this in regards to the Training Level so I'll see how it goes over the next week and maybe show some off.
sweet
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Really - any BSP is too much BSP. Static meshes are the way forward :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Man BSP is the bomb for laying things out. Unity has no BSP and I really miss that shit.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I have been using BSP from the Source Hammer editor to rough out buildings, I guess...but it doesn't belong in the final game - those days are gone (unfortunately)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I will not tolerate your lies.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ecs
Thug

Post by ecs »

Get the best sneakers for women online from ECS. ECS provides you with the most durable, high-quality sneakers. So, buy the best sneaker from ECS and look more fashionable.
meerakofficial
Thug

Post by meerakofficial »

It's that time of year again! The season end sale is now live at the Meerak store. Get up to 50% off in stores and online, which means significant discounts on all your favorite Dresses! Get in quickly and take advantage of these fantastic deals before they're gone! Hurry, the sale ends soon!
servis shoes
Thug

Post by servis shoes »

Servis Shoes is a leading online store that provides trendy and stylish sneakers for women, men, and kids at affordable prices. Buy online Sneakers for Women, Sandals, Chappals, Casual Wear Shoes, Heels, and Pump Shoes in different sizes at a reasonable Price from Servis. We can deliver in all Metro cities across Pakistan, like Lahore, Karachi, and Islamabad.
ammarakhan
Thug

Post by ammarakhan »

Looking for a stylish and latest Long Shirts for Girls online in Pakistan? Ammara Khan collection of long shirts for girls is the perfect solution. Shop Now today and elevate your fashion game to the next level!
houseofflowers
Thug

Post by houseofflowers »

Discover our white flower bouquet and enjoy peace. Flowers that are innocent and lovely, express fresh starts and pure feelings. Perfect for ceremonies like weddings. Get now bouqet of flowers at online.
Shahtaj_Qaiser
Thug

Post by Shahtaj_Qaiser »

Are you looking for the best ladies dresses Pakistani? Shahtaj Qaiser presents a wide range of Pakistani dresses including traditional designs with beautiful embroidery and modern styles. Find your favorite apparel online today!
Borjan
Thug

Post by Borjan »

Discover the latest collection of women pump shoes at Borjan. Our stylish and comfortable pumps are designed to elevate your style and provide all-day comfort. Explore our wide range of pumps shoes for every occasion and find the perfect pair that suits your style. Shop now at Borjan.
Mohagni
Thug

Post by Mohagni »

Experience luxury fashion with Mohagni's best-quality luxury Pret dresses, now available on our website. Each dress is crafted with the finest fabrics and attention to detail, ensuring that you'll look and feel best. Buy your favorite dress online today!