Deus Ex Physics

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Deus Ex Physics

Post by AlvinD »

Im creating a cage with an NPC inside it, this might be abit beyond what UnrealEd can do but is there anyway that when i run into the cage WITH the NPC in it that it would wobble? Or am i asking too much of the engine?
Morpheus
X-51

Re: Deus Ex Physics

Post by Morpheus »

Can't help exactly, but I wondered (have not coded in so long, so not sure) if physics could be scripted, i.e. when you throw an object (or hit it in your case) you could script the object to rotate the way you wanted it to by adjusting its pitch, roll, yaw etc...it wouldn't be realistic but it could be the closest to any sort of real physics you can get for UED 1 engine.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

That's abit beyond me I'm afraid :) it was worth a shot. Wasn't crucial but would have been nice.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Morpheus wrote:Can't help exactly, but I wondered (have not coded in so long, so not sure) if physics could be scripted, i.e. when you throw an object (or hit it in your case) you could script the object to rotate the way you wanted it to by adjusting its pitch, roll, yaw etc...it wouldn't be realistic but it could be the closest to any sort of real physics you can get for UED 1 engine.
This sort of thing pretty much already happens in Deus Ex, albeit to a limited degree. Check out HKHangingDecoration or whatever the superclass of the hanging pig, lantern, etc. are.

The real problem here is that actor collision in Deus Ex is purely cylinder-based. You can't have an actor with a hollow spot in the middle for another actor to stand in.

I guess you could do it with movers, maybe, if you're extremely goddamn lucky, but probably not, since they might only be able to work via keyframes.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Don't know, but if the mover doesn't have any keyframes it can be manipulated into rotating and other shit like that.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

You could update the Pawns Rotation/Location in the cage's Tick() method.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

That's abit beyond me I'm afraid :shock:
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Deus Ex Physics? More like Deus Ex Physnichts (heh)

*cough* +o(
atrey65789
Thug

Post by atrey65789 »

Some native code could create great new better physics for the game, but Deja told be that it would create problems. I am not sure how.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

If I ever get my hands on the source code I'll be interested to take a look. Although implementing some actual physics would probably be waay out of my league. If I get my hands on the source I'll probably just do bugfixes/implement stuff from the later builds of the UT1 engine.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Mikakk
Mole Person

Post by Mikakk »

Admittedly its way out of my comfort zone, but maybe?

Classes: Actor, Triggers, Trigger, ShakeTrigger, properties: set collision and ShakeTrigger settings to match your cage size and desired shake-i-ness?
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

I'll certainly give it a go! :)
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Mikakk wrote:Admittedly its way out of my comfort zone, but maybe?

Classes: Actor, Triggers, Trigger, ShakeTrigger, properties: set collision and ShakeTrigger settings to match your cage size and desired shake-i-ness?
Are you just guessing here or what? That's not even close to what ShakeTrigger does... or trigger collision size, for that matter.
Mikakk
Mole Person

Post by Mikakk »

sorry :(
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Sorry about being snippy; I was playing Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup and my character died due to my own stupidity and I was peeved about it. Yes, that's my excuse, and I'm going to have to live with it.