Deus Ex: Nihilum [Post-Release Issues] [SPOILERS]

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
FastGamerr
MJ12

Re: Deus Ex: Nihilum [Post-Release Issues] [SPOILERS]

Post by FastGamerr »

Yeah, B-STOCK is identical to the 7.62 ammo aside from the name (so basically it's an "empty" ammo class with DeusEx.Ammo762mm as the parent). IIRC, you can use it as "alternate" ammo with the Paratrooper and/or XVA Rifle(s)... but I'm not sure why the error message would occur, given these circumstances.

[EDIT] Okay, I checked the .UC files and apparently you can't use the B-stock ammo at all. I guess I could adjust it somehow in a possible future update.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote:Okay, I checked the .UC files and apparently you can't use the B-stock ammo at all. I guess I could adjust it somehow in a possible future update.
I just finished the 2018 version of the game. I mainly used the two "new" guns. Luckily, I did finish, because things turned ammo light towards the end as all there is for ammo is B-stock. I'm lucky I found the paratrooper gun in the barracks and had a decent amount of auto-shotgun ammo or I would have run out of ammo entirely (noting from the previous message I did run out of 7.62x51), especially since you have to empty half a clip's worth from the paratrooper gun to take down one of the enforcers.

Could I ask why the special weapons were changed from 2013 to 2018?

I'll probably do another run of the DLCs before I call it quits with this one and move onto another mod (been playing through the ones I have). Not aware if there are any other new mods, of course.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Thanks for playing the mod again!
ggrotz wrote:Could I ask why the special weapons were changed from 2013 to 2018?
While the Clyzm ones were great, the new guns in the 2018 version were made (in 2004-2008) by a guy named Ruthven for his Stargate SG-1 mod for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, and they were converted to DX by Akerfeldt from UNATCO Born fame - in essence making them (in a way) custom-made guns for DXN, thus increasing the mod's uniqueness.

(Sure, given time/effort/all that, the guns (XVA Rifle in particular) could have been made to act more like their original Jedi Knight versions, but...)
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Played the DLC content straight through, using the option presented me on the first one (almost 1:00:00 on the dot when I finished).

Notes and Random questions:
1. Is there a login anywhere to bypass the auto-guns towards the end of the first part? The first one is especially lethal, especially with the ballistic aug running.
2. How do you get into the room with Alistair aside from blowing up the door? Or is there a way? I didn't find one.
3. Is there a way to play the Old Town Hall part without breaching so many doors? Specifically, I didn't find information to get to the AA power source in the level at all.
4. For that matter, I had to hack through probably more computers and security consoles than probably warranted - that skill was especially valuable in passing these levels. I'm wondering if a no B&E run is possible on these two levels?

And in general for the mod...is there any particular reason why the end scenes aren't skippable? If I tap ESC the dialogue goes but I still have to wait out the cut scene...
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

1) In the storage units? There's a console in storage unit 14 for the turrets and security cams in that area. The login is in one of the drawers in one of the offices.

2) You can either open the door from the computer console in one of the offices next to the blast door (same one with the log-in cabinet from above), or you can get there from the ventilation duct nearby (in the staircase near the locked door to "Level 3").

3) Disabling the AA power source is sort of a "non-mission", since it's stated by the merc commander in the sewers that the AA power grid is accessed from the basement. So when you talk to ZED-0108 in the basement, the AA power source is disabled.

4) Essentially, in the Old Town Hall you need to knock out/kill the GEP gun guy on the roof in order to get the key to the basement, after which you need to get the front (blast) door open to access the basement entrance. So those two are the required goals and it's up to the player to choose how to carry them out. Note: If you just blow the GEP gun guy on the roof up, the basement entrance becomes vulnerable to explosives/lockpicks which possibly could make the mission easier. So even though it helps you a lot, you don't really need computer hacking in those levels... just explosives. ;)

(Not that you really need them either, but they do the trick in lieu of hacking)

w.r.t. the endings: I probably broke something in the endings' MissionScript files when adding in the subtitles that show up at the beginning. .. Then again, I think the intro can be skipped just fine while the endings can't be... hm.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote:1) In the storage units? There's a console in storage unit 14 for the turrets and security cams in that area. The login is in one of the drawers in one of the offices.
The end of DLC #1, actually.
FastGamerr wrote:3) Disabling the AA power source is sort of a "non-mission", since it's stated by the merc commander in the sewers that the AA power grid is accessed from the basement. So when you talk to ZED-0108 in the basement, the AA power source is disabled.
Actually it's not. After I talk to ZED-0108, the objective remains in the list and I get a message from Sagittare about being too busy playing with the trivia console and that I should get my ass back down to disable the AA when I go topside.
FastGamerr wrote:So even though it helps you a lot, you don't really need computer hacking in those levels... just explosives. ;)
That's what I meant by breaching doors. Go in the back (key provided on one of the guys), LAM inside to breach the door to the roof and hopefully take out the auto-gun, get to the Merc Commander's body, then go around to the front door.

Other than that, figured out what to do. Thank you for the tips. Fun part is that I figured out how to bypass Alistair altogether and didn't get that ending at the end as a result. A different possibility...
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

ggrotz wrote: The end of DLC #1, actually.
Oh! The login to the security console (right next to the entrance to the mall area with the turret in the hall) is the same as the one you can find from the freezer (Tuominen/GBKMP3) which also works on the security console in the underground facility.
ggrotz wrote:Actually it's not. After I talk to ZED-0108, the objective remains in the list and I get a message from Sagittare about being too busy playing with the trivia console and that I should get my ass back down to disable the AA when I go topside.
I stand corrected... of course an NPC from the mod itself would remember it better! ;)

But yeah, the AA grid can be disabled from the security console inside the "wall stash" in the sub-basement (the nanokey in ZED's room, or the one in the bathroom, opens the door there, IIRC).
ggrotz wrote:That's what I meant by breaching doors. Go in the back (key provided on one of the guys), LAM inside to breach the door to the roof and hopefully take out the auto-gun, get to the Merc Commander's body, then go around to the front door.
Actually, now that I think about it, you don't even have to breach the front door since you can get to the basement entrance from the roof (down the hatch, through the doors to that one room with the grate to the ventilation duct, through which you can get to the office-type room next to the basement entrance etc.).
ggrotz wrote:Other than that, figured out what to do. Thank you for the tips. Fun part is that I figured out how to bypass Alistair altogether and didn't get that ending at the end as a result. A different possibility...
Oh yeah, Alistair can be completely ignored and he only needs to be let out if you want to get the chance for the second ending.

(Also if you play through the main mod - ignoring Alistair completelty - and select the option to continue to the Epilogue DLC at Dynamene, Alistair (V2) won't even show up in the Epilogue DLC, slightly adjusting the gameplay in the storage unit level.
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

FastGamerr wrote:Thanks. Even though I did make a lot of egregious item changes in the main mod, I still didn't (and won't) touch the gameplay that much because in 2018 I'd do a lot of things differently than I did in 2010-2013 (in fact, the DLCs are a lot about how I'd have made DXN in 2017-2018 (2015 for most of the Training DLC)). In other words, DXN was the story I wanted to tell in 2010-2013 - and I'm glad that I did - so I didn't want to go around changing the original mod too much. Still, that extra vial of ambrosia and most of the lockpicks had to go!

(There's also the fact that a lot of DXN's content exists because - in addition to my own levels - I wanted to use as much unreleased UNATCO Born content as possible)

So Kowloon will remain a mess and quite the memorial for "nice going, FGR!".
Hi, FastGamerr! Don't sell yourself short, Dear! :mrgreen: I'm halfway through your Remastered version of Nihilum, and already I can safely say this is the better experience. Quite a few things have changed. A few comments:

- the facultative Training Mission, which wasn't there in the original version, is a full-fledged high-quality level. And I really dig the music,

- No more computer tier tinkering in Tian Bao Hotel. I'm very thankful for that. ^^ Also if my memory serves a few rooms have been removed it seems,

- in Yumashev Industries the Gauss Gun has been replaced by the XVA Assault Rifle, a less bulky and much more efficient weapon I feel,

- not enough Gas Grenades for my taste, at least early game,

- by the way do you plan to update the Soundtrack for Nihilum Anniversary? Just thinking about the incredible Training Mission music, you know :mrgreen:,

My playthrough is slow-paced but when it's finished I plan to update the Nihilum section of my Deus Ex French thread. For the record I had to write a newer version since there was no more room in the old one, and the V2 is easier on the eyes to boot.^^ The only issue: I'm scratching my head if I'm going to keep or remove some remarks of the old faq for Nihilum, since you retired the old version. Anyways I'll keep you in the loop. :smile::

Deus Ex: Tout est bon dans le Denton! V2
ggrotz wrote:...Specifically, I was looking for the ambrosia that was in the cafe and not finding it to give to the guy offering the key and finally figured out via a walkthrough vid that it wasn't there anymore...
About that. You can get a vial of Ambrosia very early in the MPS HK HQ in the Med room just opposite the Library (it's on a drawer). It's seems its only purpose in indeed to give it to the cook in Kowloon District. It allows you to save quite a few credits (around 1600? from memory) to get a key for the Triad Basement.
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Good to hear from you again, CrocMagnum, and thanks! Glad to hear you've liked the new additions and changes. The former tier rooms in the hotel level are indeed permanently sealed (even if the player can use "opensesame" to open those doors if they remember where they are), but at the moment I can't remember disabling access to any other rooms.

I was planning on getting RetroXor to make a new soundtrack for the DLC levels and possibly retouch at least some of the tracks from the main mod, but sadly he was too busy. But I do like the classic DX/UT style soundtrack that I used instead! (Most of them were originally composed for UNATCO Born, the Training DLC city streets music for one was meant for UB's Hong Kong level)

I guess info on the old version of DXN could be stored somewhere if not on the main thread, after all I'm sure that far more people have the 2013 version stashed in their archives. I, however, won't offer any tech support or help whatsoever for the 2013 version ;)

w.r.t. Ambrosia: Yeah, this time there's only one vial of it in the MPS HQ just to make the gameplay a bit "harder", since the Triad Basement is a non-compulsory location
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote: find from the freezer (Tuominen/GBKMP3)
Freezer? You mean one of the rooms in the underground? Edit: I found it.
FastGamerr wrote: But yeah, the AA grid can be disabled from the security console inside the "wall stash" in the sub-basement
I'm well aware of it. If I didn't have hacking/explosives, I wouldn't have been able to pass that part which is why I brought it up. I gather there's a keycode/login intended there, but I'm not finding it.
FastGamerr wrote: you can get to the basement entrance from the roof (down the hatch, through the doors to that one room with the grate to the ventilation duct, through which you can get to the office-type room next to the basement entrance etc.).
Two doors to breach along with the grate, if you don't have the key from the front side.
FastGamerr wrote: ignoring Alistair completelty - and select the option to continue to the Epilogue DLC at Dynamene
Actually ...
CrocMagnum wrote:this is the better experience.
FastGamerr wrote:after all I'm sure that far more people have the 2013 version stashed in their archives.
My general impression is that there will be people that will *prefer* the 2013 version for several reasons. This is a pretty hard debate right now for me, which version I will delete and which I will keep.
CrocMagnum wrote: a less bulky and much more efficient weapon I feel
This will be one reason. I thought the XVA assault rifle was too under-powered for the number of inventory squares required to carry it (8). And the paratrooper rifle was underwhelming for the same reason. That might change if the B-STOCK ammo is made to work.
CrocMagnum wrote: About that. You can get a vial of Ambrosia very early in the MPS HK HQ
I'm aware of it.
FastGamerr wrote:the Triad Basement is a non-compulsory location
But a heavily beneficial one...
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

"I gather there's a keycode/login intended there, but I'm not finding it."

Once again, my bad - apparently I never put in a datacube that would have included the logins for that one. Based on the logins of that console (GPowell/LostInTime , ZED/0108), though, it seems like I did intend to do so. Putting this in the "will be addressed in a possible future update" list.

"I thought the XVA assault rifle was too under-powered for the number of inventory squares required to carry it (8). And the paratrooper rifle was underwhelming for the same reason. That might change if the B-STOCK ammo is made to work."

The XVA rifle also replaces the Gauss Gun in the sense that you can use EMP 20mm ammo with it. So yeah, I guess that (and me wanting to use the SG-1@JK mod assets in the revised DXN) is its main draw.

"But a heavily beneficial one..."

Oh yeah.

The thing is that one of my intentions with stuff like "you can get the ambrosia vial only from MPS HQ" was to try to encourage people to do multiple playthroughs of the mod - especially if you take your time to visit the non-compulsory locations (mainly in Kowloon Streets).

(In fact, I can't remember anymore if anyone had found Alistair in the Queens level before I posted a video about it on ModDB in Dec 2013... and for that matter, I'm not sure if anyone has ever told me that they've unlocked the "getting the imprisoned mechanic to take you to Yumashev" scenario)
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote: I'm not sure if anyone has ever told me that they've unlocked the "getting the imprisoned mechanic to take you to Yumashev" scenario
This one's new to me and to boot I didn't find any mention of it anywhere. Doesn't mean it's not in a walkthrough video somewhere...
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Yeah, the gist for that is something like: you piss Yakedo off, and have no money left for his fees (whether it's the 2000 credit one or the "hey i found out about your daughter" discount), so David Yoon contacts you all "hey, bail this helicopter guy out from the prison" which you can attempt doing (if you fail at that, Zavich chimes in with "okay we paid Yakedo off, so get to Yumashev").

Also, here's a minor patch mainly for the B-STOCK ammo and inclusion of the log-in (included in the datacube in the sub-basement bathroom) for the AA power grid cabinet:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum/downloads/dxn-addon1

Didn't touch the encrypted datacubes. Especially because the mechanics of the encrypted datacube actually go like "you hack the encrypted datacube which triggers a normal datacube hidden in an unreachable area in the level, thus superficially "decrypting" the datacube", so the game crashing due to DeusEx.DataCube is sorta confusing to me... I'd say that for now the encrypted datacubes can be jotted down as "sometimes crashing the game".
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote: Yeah, the gist for that is something like: you piss Yakedo off, and have no money left for his fees (whether it's the 2000 credit one or the "hey i found out about your daughter" discount), so David Yoon contacts you all "hey, bail this helicopter guy out from the prison" which you can attempt doing (if you fail at that, Zavich chimes in with "okay we paid Yakedo off, so get to Yumashev").
I'll have to see if I can try that out. I assume by "piss Yakedo off" you mean "get into his s00per sekrit weapon stash". That said, I can see why people missed this. As I recall, it's pretty difficult to get into that area in the first place.

Edit: Got the whole scenario done (piss off Yakedo, "I found out about your daughter", etc) except for the "hey, bail the helicopter guy out" part (can't find him). Fun part is I get a message I hear from a female voice when I go to Yumashev. Guess you have it playing a message erroneously?
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Yeah, the mission control infolinks are always done by Zavich at Yumashev.

Did you get David Yoon's infolink after Yakedo upped his price to 2000 credits etc.?