Idea: Deus Ex continuity mod

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Zireael
NSF

Idea: Deus Ex continuity mod

Post by Zireael »

The ideas are as follows.

- add tranquilizer gun from DX HR (sniper rifle functionality & model, but shoots tranq darts)
- laser gun - I guess it would be similar to the plasma gun of DX1
- add Shifter-style bonus points for kills
- takedown - from Deus Ex Unreal Revolution mod; add a non-lethal takedown too
- an aug that increases inventory size - like HR's weight
- being able to install augs on the fly (and possibly swap them?) - there was some code on the forums
- can we have something similar to DX HR's map/radar thingy?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Idea: Deus Ex continuity mod

Post by Cybernetic pig »

My opinions are as follows:
Zireael wrote:The ideas are as follows.

- add tranquilizer gun from DX HR (sniper rifle functionality & model, but shoots tranq darts)
Just increasing the damage of xbow poison darts via code, and then attaching a scope in-game and you have a similar weapon.
Perhaps having the sniper able to fire tranq darts would be interesting. depending if it's implemented well, but what is wrong with the mini-xbow?
- laser gun - I guess it would be similar to the plasma gun of DX1
Would be cool as long as cannot shoot through any wall, 'cause that's seriously OP in combination with aug vision.
- add Shifter-style bonus points for kills
No. Deus Ex's vanilla xp reward system is objectively superior.
- takedown - from Deus Ex Unreal Revolution mod; add a non-lethal takedown too
If it is as follows: If enemy HP < players damage stat, takedown is initiated (first person perspective also). So basically you will only perform a takedown if your attack is on target and is the finishing blow, but as soon as you actually press attack a takedown happens instead.

Unnecessary though, and you would lose control during the anim unless it's too fast to really notice or complain.
- an aug that increases inventory size - like HR's weight
If implemented right then yes. I juggled the idea of merging microfibral muscle and combat strength as one aug, and the other as inventory space increase, but it would still be unbalanced. One extra row of inventory space can allow 40 grenades (10 of each) and two other blocks for whatever, plus aug upgrades have 4 tiers and if the aug added four rows in total it would be a bit ridiculous.
Vanilla inventory size is fine, at least once heavy weapons only take up 6 blocks in my opinion.
- being able to install augs on the fly (and possibly swap them?) - there was some code on the forums
Swapping augs hinders choice and consequence and replayability.

Installing on the fly hinders simulation design and does nothing notable for gameplay, personally I like having to lug around the cannister 'till I reach a medbot anyway.
- can we have something similar to DX HR's map/radar thingy?
I wouldn't mind it as an aug, but again it would have to be implemented correctly, rivalling another aug fairly.

It sounds like you want a Deus Ex: Human Revolution gameplay mod for the original DX. I strongly detest for the most part.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

The only thing wrong with a scoped mini-crossbow is the range. Hence the idea of porting over the DX HR tranq gun.
For the laser gun - I never planned for it to shoot through walls.

Swapping and/or installing augs on the fly was just an idea - in retrospect, not really a good one.

I liked takedowns in HR, but you are right when it comes to losing control.
I wouldn't mind it as an aug, but again it would have to be implemented correctly, rivalling another aug fairly.
You mean it could be done? That's great news!
Obviously it would be an aug, giving it to the player at start would be too OP. It's one of the few things I liked about HR.

What I missed the most in HR was DX1 damage system. And I absolutely hate the hacking minigames.

Simply, I want to fill the void in the universe (if there are laser guns and tranq rifles in 2027, why they aren't there in 2052?) and have the best things of the two games in one!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Zireael wrote:The only thing wrong with a scoped mini-crossbow is the range.
The short range is a good thing as you have to estimate the dart drop and compensate accordingly, more strategy than just point and click. Attaching range mods increases range anyway.
I liked takedowns in HR, but you are right when it comes to losing control.
The takedowns in HR did far more negative than just taking control away. They were a joke.
You mean it could be done? That's great news!
Obviously it would be an aug, giving it to the player at start would be too OP. It's one of the few things I liked about HR.
Yeah, I see no reason as an aug it shouldn't be done as it would be optional. I don't particularly like it but if it's entirely optional then no harm done.
And I absolutely hate the hacking minigames.
I liked the hacking, it was just overused (substituting lockpicking, multitools AND hacking of DX1), and was ruined by supporting systems (xp rewards & autofill passwords).
Simply, I want to fill the void in the universe (if there are laser guns and tranq rifles in 2027, why they aren't there in 2052?) and have the best things of the two games in one!
DX1 & DX:IW is canon, DX:HR is not, as far as I am concerned. Why should DX be modified to compensate for the (numerous) careless mistakes made in HR?
Ridiculous.

It is Human Revolution that needs a mod of this type. It's a good game but it's not on DX's level, not even close.

And yes, the "continuity" part of the title only just clicked. I wasn't paying attention.

Verdict: No. Nobody here would make such a mod. Sorry.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

I am NOT saying that we should copy HR wholesale, a lot of things there made no sense.

All I want is 2 guns and (optionally) the inventory aug and (even more optionally) the map/radar thingy as an aug. I think that's reasonable?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Zireael wrote: I think that's reasonable?
Sure. But not for the sake of fixing HR's mistakes.

Anyone is free to mod Deus Ex as they please, however.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Zireael wrote:- laser gun - I guess it would be similar to the plasma gun of DX1
I haven't played Human Revolution, but out of curiosity, how could a laser gun be anything remotely similar to the Deus Ex plasma gun? The plasma gun fires big, slow-moving blobs that blow up, which is pretty much antithetical to what a laser does.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

G-Flex wrote:
Zireael wrote:- laser gun - I guess it would be similar to the plasma gun of DX1
I haven't played Human Revolution, but out of curiosity, how could a laser gun be anything remotely similar to the Deus Ex plasma gun? The plasma gun fires big, slow-moving blobs that blow up, which is pretty much antithetical to what a laser does.
Maybe not the globs, but I thought of the model. After all, the plasma gun uses different ammo than other guns... (yeah, I know, lame, I never modded DX)
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

Just found out that Modern(ish) combat has tranq rifle, so maybe 90% of this can be done by putting mods together, as Sergiy is trying to?

Also, Hardcore has a DX IW inspired aug (drain life) so it's another neat idea to consider.

DX 1 > DX HR. Provided DX 1 gets some AI enhancement and no more rigor mortis slabs of wood (I saw a link to a skeletal mesh implementation for Unreal Engine 1 in a different thread, here it is: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UE1:RSkeletalMeshEx
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

I still like the idee to replace the automated hacking with minesweeper and when you hit a mine or time runs out the security terminal goes BOOOOM.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Captain_Destro
UNATCO

Post by Captain_Destro »

The Tranquilizer Rifle in Modern Combat was really easy to do. But it required making different projectiles to get more range and distance. Feel free to pick apart the code/settings and use it. It was honestly something I came up with for sh*ts and giggles.

It's fairly simple to do.